• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Anti-belief Thread

G

Gwops

Even If I am a minority of one, truth is still the truth.

Even If I am a minority of one, truth is still the truth.

Gwops said:
What would happen if it happened to you ? Would you "KNOW" the answer or would you "BELIEVE" to know the answer ?

If I was aware this phenomenon was happening to me, I would immediately consult a mental health professional and have myself checked for a whole range of known disorders, like schizophrenia.

More likely, though, I wouldn't objectively realize it was happening, and would have to hope that a family member or friend would intervene on my behalf, and take me to get some help.

Quickly.

I would hope that if anyone were to hear a "disembodied voice" more than once (once could be written off as a fluke) he or she would seek medical help. Having a CAT scan and a psychological evaluation are the first step on the road to getting to the bottom of things I should think.

No one is ever asked about that. I think the reason could be that very few people have the objectivity to respond dispassionately to a question like that.

I remember talking to a woman who said she'd seen a ghost. I asked her if she had ruled out any possibly medical reasons behind her experience and she went ballistic.

Oh well. . .

Gwops said:
But I - wanted to make clear that we know NOTHING.

It is as I said: "outright ridiculous that we use the word "BELIEF" or "TO BELIEVE" on a daily basis but act / or pretend to be the omniscient human being."

Funny then that you should follow that "profundity" with. . .

Gwops said:
I believe that you exaggerated a bit at least with 'ballistic' although I was not present.

Or was that simply meant in the colloquial sense, which brings me to. . .

Gwops said:
But if I check the meanings of the phrase 'to go ballistic' I think you should have chosen a different phrasing. Or you keep company with very friendly people who riddle you with a grease gun if you ask too many questions.

It's idiomatic and not really too much of a linguistic leap to take - well not for most.

Gwops said:
I remember the evening I came home and as I stepped into the kitchen there was this HUGE tarantula sized black hairy - non friendly - thing on the wall.
My heartbeat almost stopped and first flashbacks of my life gave me the best of. Someone else removed the spider.

Telling people later on about this incident, the first thing I was asked how much I had drank before. And when I tried to make it clear there was this huge spider, I was only told that it would increase in size the more often I explained this situation. How do you think I felt ?
It's not funny someone comes and discredits or questions you although you only tell the truth. (but you get used to it).

Don't take everything at face value you hear, but don't rule out the possibilities either.

You're equating a spider with an apparition of a dead person? I see. That doesn't work, not even if one stretches first.

This is like walking past a Mexican restaurant and seeing a pinata. You can't help but take a whack at it.

hopeful skeptic said:
This is like walking past a Mexican restaurant and seeing a pinata. You can't help but take a whack at it.

Okay, now a comparison between Gwops and an inanimate paper figurine devoid of logic and reason I'll accept!

Gwops said:
It's amazing how you guys respond and verbalize yourself to forum postings.
I don't envy you for your 'inability' and poor communication skills.

Incoming!!! :rolleyes:

Gwops said:
It's amazing how you guys respond and verbalize yourself to forum postings.
I don't envy you for your 'inability' and poor communication skills.

But I'm a generous person and would like to help you:

Logical Thinking: An Indispensable Skill
http://www.audiblox2000.com/logical-thinking.htm

Regards
Gwops

And to think. . . I just assumed that English wasn't Gwops' first language. I know the average (perhaps the operative word here) person tends to butcher the English language during daily discourse but Gwops' syntax, vocabulary, etc. (e.g. ". . .how you verbalize yourself to forum postings.") truly read as though he's new to, if not our shores then certainly our language.

Thanks, Gwops, but if I ever wanted to sound as though I were working toward a green card I'd just ask one of the hundreds of New York cab drivers for tutoring. I'm sure they'd oblige. I'm a great tipper.

:)

Gwops said:
Quote:
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
by Louis Untermeyer

Regards
Gwops

Wow, Gwops, you caught me. I'm so worried that you may actually be a literary virtuoso that I decided to point out how you can't seem to compose a proper sentence.

How could I have discounted all of your stunning insights - even if they do read like the descriptions in a Chinese take-out menu.

I'm rending my garment in mournful shame right now - between keystrokes.

*sigh*

My, that approach is so new, so refreshing, so biting - and from a pencil pusher, too!

It is nice that you can "laugh" (assuming that's what the idiotic abbreviation means) when your shortcomings are cataloged for you. That's a lovely quality - very Zen. Is it something you learned while you were traveling in your astral form or did one of the voices in your heard tell you to try it? Is it one of those "If I don't laugh I'll cry." incidences?

Maybe you shouldn't divulge. It might ruin the mystique.

All fun aside, I hope my posts haven't disturbed your watching OFFICE SPACE for the 900th time while you dream of a better life.

Hey, now I'm laughing!

Thanks

Wasn't there a thread on here about mind-altering drugs? I think Gwops should go to it and read those posts very carefully.

*sigh*

Okay, you're thoroughly boring now, Gwops. Run along and make your idiotic points in your substandard English elsewhere.

It's no wonder the country is in such dire straits, if this is the best middle management has to offer. Poor thing.

. . .and then there were eight.

Back