• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Another of my weird experiences

Siani

Despiser of religious nuts
I've had a number of weird experiences, which have left me rather bewildered, to say the least. I forget the precise date of this particular experience, other than it being the end of 1989, or possibly early 1990. I recall it was a winter month. At the time, I shared a house with some students. The two who lived upstairs will play a role later in this story. I've changed the names in this account, for privacy reasons.

One of my closest friends at the time was an artist - I'll call him Joe. He started dating Heather, and she and I became quite friendly. Sadly, Heather had a lot of emotional problems, and was a self-harmer. She was only 17, and I, being about 7 or 8 years older, kind of took her under my wing a little. If ever she had a problem, or had had a bust-up with Joe or her parents, she would often turn up at my house very late at night.

At 3 AM one morning, my doorbell rang. I was annoyed, not at being woken up, but because the doorbell had sounded. I was a nocturnal creature during those days. But my friends and I were always respectful of my housemates, so late-night callers would throw small pieces of gravel at my window instead of ringing the doorbell, so as not to wake my house mates.

On this particular night, I got out of bed and peered out of my window. I saw what looked like Heather, smiling, waving, and gesturing to me to let her in. But something was very wrong with the figure standing below.

The first thing I spotted was that Heather was wearing a tatty old pair of boots that I knew had been tossed into the garbage weeks ago. I also noticed that her face was a very strange colour. It was a bluey-grey colour. She was a pale-complexioned girl, but I'd seen her many times at that location, from that angle, at night. I can promise you she was never blue-grey. There was also a strange plastic-like sheen to her face. Her actions were weird too. Her gesticulations seemed speeded up and jerky, and her facial expressions also seemed speeded up and jittery. There was something almost frantic about her grin, and the way she kept pointing at the door and indicating for me to come and open it.

The strangest feeling came over me as I looked down at 'Heather'. Think of the way your mouth numbs and stiffens when your dentist gives you an injection. My whole body felt like it had been zapped with novocaine, slowly freezing. The more the Heather thing tried to persuade me to open the door, the more some primeval instincy shrieked at me not to let it in. I began to retreat from my window, shaking my head. But every effort I made to move, felt like some clumsy, slow-motion back-track. I felt as if I was trying to push through very thick, stodgy jelly. When I tried to speak, I had difficulty forming the words. It was as if my powers of speech had been severely compromised. After a struggle, I finally managed to say 'No. You're not Heather. F*** off'.

The thing at my door fell still for a second or two, and simply stared at me, with an expression of what seemed like disappointment.. Then, to my utter disbelief and horror, it began to spin, very rapidly, until it resembled a slightly glowing, light silvery-blue vortex. It shot straight across the road, until it reached the garden wall of a house opposite. It then turned through a 90° angle and shot up the pavement. When it reached a junction with another road, it took another 90° turn and shot out of sight, behind the houses on the neighbouring street.

After that, I turned on all my lights and closed my curtains. I was pretty freaked out, but decided it must have been some sort of weird, sleep-walking dream. I've never been a sleep-walker, but I always try to look for logical expanations for everything, however insane or bizarre it seems. I fell asleep when daylight came. When I woke up, I managed to shrug the whole thing off.

When Joe paid me a visit that afternoon, I realized Heather had been with him the whole night. I was relieved, as at one point, I worried I may have denied her sanctuary from some kind of danger, whilst I was in a weird, soporific fugue. I had utterly dismissed the whole thing as a dream, when the students who lived upstairs arrived home from college. They cornered me, and one of them, puffed up like an indignant rooster, said 'would you please tell your friends not to ring the bell at three o'clock in the morning? It's not fair. We have to be up for early lectures'. My housemate confirmed the time of the doorbell ringing, as the same time I was woken.

A couple of months later, Heather suddenly ditched Joe for another guy, and broke his heart. He attempted suicide, and Heather and I haven't spoken since. I discovered she had also been spreading malicious lies about me.

Does anyone have any idea what that Heather thing at my door was? Did her nasty side manifest itself as some kind of apparition? Was it some evil entity masquerading as a friend, trying to lure me out into goodness knows what kind of trap? Did some benevolent entity try to warn me of her duplicity, by showing me a fake Heather? Or did I simply just dream the whole thing, despite independent corroboration of the doorbell ringing? If it was a dream, could it have been a prophetic warning about a false friend? Or maybe it was nothing at all, and I'm reading too much into it in hindsight? I really don't know...

I'm not saying what follows is what happened to you, just some thoughts on the matter is all. I figure I don't have to go into the skeptical arguments like vivid dreams etc. So I'll mention some things that are more "fringe".

I've heard similar reports associated with the greys and/or abduction claims. They masquerade as friends or family members (or pets and animals even) to get you to come out or perhaps as a symbol in communication. Why greys would need you awake and come outside is strange since walls don't seem to be bothersome in many other reports. They come right in and take your ass. Maybe they left the wall walkthrough gadget at home.

Jeremy V deals with possible symbolism in experiencer accounts. Maybe he can give some insight as to why they MAY have posed as Heather. Only thing that comes to my mind is she was seen as none-threatening, but posed a threat to a near future with your close friend who was suicidal. A warning of some kind? I don't know.

The boots are an odd detail. Were they her boots or yours or "Joe"'s? What was the status of your relationship with "Heather" at the time the boots were thrown out?

I was also thinking an experiencer encounter where they (enties)pretend to be someone else. The way you described the slow motion jello like not being able to talk sounds all too familliar to me.

If it is an experiencer encounter it is weird that it had to use the door bell and door

Another possiblbity is that somebody rang the bell and you then went back into an altered state to experience whatever this is and that somebody else was at the door... if that made any sence. I call it reality mixing e.i.where the phone rings for real, this stimuli enters your dream world and you answer it but you are still asleep.

Another possiblbity is that somebody rang the bell and you then went back into an altered state to experience whatever this is and that somebody else was at the door... if that made any sence. I call it reality mixing e.i.where the phone rings for real, this stimuli enters your dream world and you answer it but you are still asleep.

My thoughts exactly....

I think Ally nailed it.

Unless, Siani youre positive that this really did happened (which it sounds like you arent). does this have any similarities to any other experiences youve had? This was so bizarre that I think it qualifies you for a Paracast interview if indeed it did happen.

Maybe try hypnosis.

Trippy tale...the the weird jittery motion and "spinning" of the character you describe reminds me of a very strange sighting I had many years ago...I was driving home, small southern Texas town, and I saw a kid wearing a red sweatshirt with a hood running down the side of the road toward me. Another kid on a bike rounded a corner and appeared to be chasing him with malicious intent. I had a moment of shocked horror when I saw that the head of the kid who was being chased appeared to be a distorted, whirling blur contained within the hood of his shirt. I didn't stop.

It reminds me a bit of some of the stories about little kids being at your door wanting to get in, but they aren't really little kids.

There's something really strange about this story, but what's really frightening is that this particular creature was using the doorbell.

Generally as a rule, aliens don't use the doorbell, nor do they really respect any kind of boundaries.

I remember one dream I had as a child about a bright light outside my window, and toys in the yard. Rocket ships, space men, and robots all outside beckoning me to come out. I wanted to go outside so badly, but when I did, the toys were gone. I woke up the next morning very disappointed.

Was it an experience? No idea. Sounds like yours was quite macabre, and after reading it, I will surely double check any unannounced visitor.

If I was being facetious I'd advise you to get Sapphire to take back time, then get Steel to kick the entity's arse. But I'm not being facetious so I won't advise such a thing :)

A fascinating account, well told. Thanks for creeping me out!

The way you described the slow motion jello like not being able to talk sounds all too familliar to me.

Is that a common feature of odd encounters..... the difficulty in moving and inability to speak? I recognise it also :(

I am kinda freaked out by this story, I must say..... dont want to go to bed now ;)

Is that a common feature of odd encounters..... the difficulty in moving and inability to speak?

I am kinda freaked out by this story, I must say..... dont want to go to bed now ;)

Yes it is a common feature that I and others have experienced with encounters...not very comfortable. The difficulty in understanding and articulating some of these expereinces is that they seem to be able to manifest in mutliple realities. The encounters can happen when someone is fully awake and anywhere inbetween different levels of sleep.

Yes it is a common feature that I and others have experienced with encounters...not very comfortable. The difficulty in understanding and articulating some of these expereinces is that they seem to be able to manifest in mutliple realities. The encounters can happen when someone is fully awake and anywhere inbetween different levels of sleep.

I remember something that felt very much like that from when I was real small. It was during the night in what I still regard as a very vivid dream.... very disturbing though. It felt almost as though my energy was being drained and my voice simply didnt come out, the more I struggled to move or talk, the more difficult it became, it also felt like time was getting slower. As I said, im 34 now and thios was a long time ago, but it is still very vivid. All verrrrrrry odd

This might be a good place to have a quote from the late Dr John E Mack. In his book Passport To The Cosmos Human Transformation And Alien Encounters pg 57

" Michael Grosso,like Michael Zimmerman, is a philosopher who has grasped the ontological ambiguities of the UFO abduction phenomenon. The sheer number and variety of aparant UFO "visitors" leads Grosso to suggest that something "psychical, mythical,or imaginal" is going on. UFO encounters, he notes, are strange hybrids of mind and matter. They seem to come from both outside and "our inside" and therefore belong, like apparitions of the Virgin Mary, fairies, demons or " other creatures of an elemental, discarnate or excarnate nature,"to a "third zone of being" that does not conform to the inside/outside duality by which we conventionally polarize reality (Grosso forthcoming)."

Thanks for all the responses - and sorry if my account scared anyone. It still scares me even to this day, because I have no frame of reference for these events, and no way to explain any of it.

Outerjoin, the boots I referred to belonged to Heather. She still lived with her parents, and her mother had enough of seeing those tatty old boots, so her mum binned them, and bought Heather a new pair. I was on good terms with Heather at the time.

I've never really thought of this experience in terms of an alien/visitor encounter. I just don't know what it was, and admit I could be rejecting the possibility of it being a visitor encounter simply because the very idea horrifies and terrifies me. I'd be much happier to be told 'actually, Siani, you're barking mad', than to think I'd met some weird alien entity. At least madness is recognisably human!

The strongest memory I have of the whole incident, is being taken over by a powerful resolve that the thing at the door really shouldn't come in. I just wanted it away from me. I guess the terror I felt also had a strong sense of revulsion to it.

This experience, to me, is real, because it happened - i.e. I saw this, I lived through it, whatever it was. But I cannot explain its source. I want it to be a dream, I really do, because anything else is just too scary. But I keep asking myself, if it was just a bad dream, why was I standing at the window, fully alert and terrified, after the thing/entity went away? And why do I still remember it and get scared by it, some 18-19 years later? Even with really bad nightmares - I've ended up laughing at myself afterwards, for getting fooled by a dream. This memory of this experience has never raised so much as a smile from me.

I don't think I'll ever know what lay behind this experience. I often think to myself, did it take on the appearance of a friend, and ring the doorbell, because it wanted to communicate but didn't want to scare me? Or did it do so to try to lure me out into some bad situation? Either way, when it seemed to sense I wasn't fooled, it departed very quickly. Perhaps this was some weird, internal event, triggered by a ringing doorbell. Who knows? But I've always felt it was something more. Like a lot of experiencers of anomalies, I'm left wondering whether or not all these paranormal events, ghosts, aliens, ufos, fairies, Bigfoot, etc, have a common origin. Answers on a postcard...

You have my deepest respect for sharing this difficult memory. I won't presume to tell you what your experience means or how to cope with it.

But let me invite you to not get too hung up on how real the experience is. Some things in life are more real than others; there is a sloping multi-colored spectrum of experience that has nothing to do with the black-or-white, real-or-not-real perspective that dominates our discourse.

If you don't mind me babbling about why I believe this, then read on:

Let's pretend I'm running a detailed computer simulation inhabited by simulated beings. Most of the beings are subject to my programmed laws of physics, but a handful of the beings are special. I exempt these special beings from some or all of my physical laws, and I let them do things like: fly through the air in silent hypersonic craft, move through solid walls, and even access the inner thoughts of other "mere mortal" simulated beings.

Now pretend I am one of the special beings and I want to lure you into an interaction (for good or ill) that I know you won't agree to if I appear to you in my true form. So I scan your mind for the image of a trusted acquaintance, one for whom you will gladly answer the door late at night, when most people won't see our encounter. In the image I select, "Heather" is wearing boots. But alas, when I show up at your door in my "Heather" costume, it is already out of date. Realizing you've seen through my ruse, I drop the mask and leave. This may only raise more questions about why I can't simply get whatever I want with my special powers, or why I can't get a more recent "Heather" image out of your mind. My powers seem to have arbitrary limits, which just might be even more bizarre then the fact I have them in the first place. Or that we both live in a computed simulation!

Again -- I am only speculating here, and do not mean to have fun with your experience.

Seriously one of the most disturbing, and creepy stories I've ever read.

I might have to borrow this account for a short film. Seriously, it's that creepy.

Back