• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Announcing The Paracast+ (or Something Like That!)

Free episodes:

I notice you say there could be an option for video?Why not try the idea of a p.p.v. show say every quarter? How much would it cost to produce a 3 hour show and stream it? I guess I'd watch that. That way you could have several guests on at once in a kind of round table forum? They needn't all be UFO buffs (much as I enjoy the UFO topic it does seem to lose some of it's zest every now and then...) - perhaps you could get on the odd film maker to see what idea/ influences the take from UFO reports etc etc...

I gotta tell you the "special forum" thing is a turn off. It's to much like a club and I would never join any club that would have me as a member. :) The special blogs and other things are fair enough. I will tell you and I don't mean any disrespect or harm in this. I have enjoyed the Paracast Forums and I think you do a really good job. I also think it's only fair for you to attempt to make a living. But, with so many paranormal blogs and shows and podcast out there. With so much access to news and information I will not pay a premium. But, that's just me as a long time poster and listener being honest with folks who I do respect. Of course if you can line up dynamite guest for the special chats and other unique content then who knows. At any rate good luck and I will certainly wish you the best as you attempt to branch out.

I'm with tyder on this one. I have been an avid listener and a devout fan of The Paracast for quite a while now. I've listened to every episode once and many of them several times.

I wish you well Gene and Chris, but I'll not be subscribing for several reasons. Thank you for helping us separate the signal (what little there is) from the ever present noise.

The issue we have with such a service is whether many of our listeners will subscribe. I'd like to know your reasons. It doesn't make sense to invest time and energy into providing extra stuff if there's no return, to be blunt about it.

Perhaps I am being a little over zealous about this, but won't the "Plus" addition to the Paracast's forums take away from the forums we have now? People will consider only posting on the plus site and we will lose out on a lot of very interesting topics and discussions we normally had here.

I don't mind seeing a plus part of the site, but one in which you get "extra" material and support, over and above what the Paracast has delivered in the past. In my opinion, adding anything similar to what you already get as a member is only detrimental to the quality of what is provided without it.

Thanks for your concerns. All this has to be considered, plus the fact that many people just don't have even a modest amount of free cash to go around anymore.

Thanks for your concerns. All this has to be considered, plus the fact that many people just don't have even a modest amount of free cash to go around anymore.

True, but if I had read about extra investigatory work, some interesting special videos, or something more than what we normally find here, I would seriously consider spending money to have access to thus. I just feel it should be above and beyond what we see here now.....that would probably entail a lot more work on your end though :)

Obviously adding a subscription service would provide a little extra cash to fund that extra work. But this service, if we introduce it, would have to offer a great value to everyone. Otherwise it's not worth the bother. I know our current poll is running negative, I think because you need to realize that the show and our regular forums will remain free regardless. Then again, we only need a fraction of you to subscribe for such a service to be hugely successful.

We're still looking over the options.

Not going to be a popular suggestion i know, but how about making Chris' video stream etc etc part of the Plus section. In that way a small percentage of the takings could help fund the project.

Oh heck, i can year the baying of the torch and pitchfork brigade now, better leg it.............

We are definitely considering something video-oriented. I would think something more of a custom segment rather than just a single feed, however. I don't do video myself, and I have the face for radio. :D

I love it. Sounds great. I'd pay about 10 bucks a month. I am fairly prejudiced to the Para-cast specifically so Id give a little extra to get a little extra back.

Just something to think about here. I'm a big sports fan. But, when I'm on a site and I see "exclusive content" for a small price I just laugh. It's the blooming internet. There are always plenty of blogs and sites where I can find that "exclusive" story for free. Not saying that would or would not happen here. Just something to consider. Also, please don't start an interview and then say "for the rest of the interview join our exclusive plus club." :mad: Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

I don't think a discount on the merch is important tho.

Extra work for the para crew, but a centralized go-to place for current episode info, videos and pics would be great so there's not bunch of searching around to this website and that book for incidentals.

Been loving the Paracast for years.
Also a huge fan of Mysterious Universe.
I live pretty hand to mouth these days. I manage to justifty to myself $9 a month to be a plus member of MU because it gets me an extended version of the free show and an extra show every week.

I would definitely do the same for the Paracast.

I listen to seven radio shows, two I already pay a quarterly and monthly fee for the show. I probably consider you guys number #1 with another radio program I listen to, and I would definitely pay to support you. Would be happy to pay $40 USD a year. Some extras would be good over free members. I notice on The Richard Dolan Show, they offer old archives for free. Red Ice Radio has an Hour 1 for free, paid subscribers get access to Hour 2. I think Whitley Streiber does a Part 2 on his show for subscribers.

The only other thing I can think of (if you don't want to charge users for access to listen to your regular weekly show), is to maybe from time to time charge access for your premium subscribers to listen to special guests. Another possibility is to do what I think Joseph P. Farrell does, I think he charges a fee which lets his fans converse a couple of hours with him in a private forum at his site.. I've heard it's pretty popular. I can't remember if it's a paid service, I think it is.

- Digital_Archivist

Been loving the Paracast for years.
Also a huge fan of Mysterious Universe.
I live pretty hand to mouth these days. I manage to justifty to myself $9 a month to be a plus member of MU because it gets me an extended version of the free show and an extra show every week.

I would definitely do the same for the Paracast.

I haven't heard of Mysterious Universe. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm listening to their review of Steven Greer's Sirius. Will see if I like them.

- Digital_Archivist

Just one possible other idea for The Paracast with revenue raising.. I notice Mysterious Universe (an Australian Paranormal radio presentation) has packaged their back issues by season. They have six seasons and charging $20 per season. They also offer extended coverage / interviews for PLUS+ members. I think packaging each year's Paracast radio interviews per year (except for the current year), could be a possible way to make some extra money. If charging for this service, can the ads be removed from these if people paid, say $20.00 per season. I think make the current year free.

- Digital_Archivist

I guess I'm late to the party here, but thought I would give my 2 cents. First, I don't think people realize just how much time and resources must be invested to produce a good show like the Paracast. It's not unreasonable to try and fund the process and make something to survive along the way. Not to mention the show has tons of potential (at least, I think it does) as more mainstream fare gets watered down and veers in different directions.

Times get lean for many. My husband and I have struggled with the "how are we going to pay that bill before shut off?" or "Grab change around the house so we can get gas to get to work" scenarios. I completely understand that there could be times when $7 or $8 is too much to put into something that's not an immediate necessity. That being said, I haven't seen anything about the Paracast being off limits to non-subscribers. Most of the forums and new shows (unless I read it wrong) will still be available along with many shows going pretty far back. That's a lot of content to enjoy without paying a cent.

And here's my worthless opinion on the rest:

1. Offering older episodes of The Paracast on the premium service is a non-starter, unfortunately. The network sells ads on the basis of the fact that they will be heard in the archives, no matter how old. Episodes prior to July 2010 might be considered; we'll see. But not the ones that were carried by GCN.

I don't mind the ads. Sometimes I find them humorous. I often serenade my husband with my ad-inspired impression of Alex Jones. :D

2. Special audio and video programming will be part of the package. Perhaps an "After The Show" discussion, plus special interviews that contain material we weren't able to include in the core program.

Love it! I have seen at least one other radio show do this and it was great. Of course it all depends on WHO is in the after show. And I think even sessions involving the hosts only could be very interesting. I would definitely tune in (and it would be nice if these were also part of the permanent archive so they can be accessed and re-accessed later - yes, I listen to shows over and over again on topics I find interesting :eek: ).

3. Chat rooms. This has been a request, and the ones that work best need to be carefully monitored to prevent abuse.

Another good idea. I don't know that I would use them all the time (sometimes the pacing of a forum with its post-and-check-back format is easier for me but I do enjoy a good real time conversation now and again).

Might I even suggest listening chat rooms? Maybe each week the listening room would loop the current episode so members could stop by, have a listen and discuss topics relevant to the episode? I have seen something similar with websites who do music and movies. They let users create a room and have a DJ or someone (both being a user) starts a video clip and they chat while they listen and watch together. Something like this would be awesome if users could get together and experience episodes in a chat room as a group. It might be too difficult to let users pick and start episodes, so maybe have scheduled airings in the listening chat room (maybe a morning, afternoon and evening airing) that just auto starts and users can come and go to chat. This may require more development than is accessible right now, but just a thought. I wonder if any of the online apps I have seen offer access to an API or something that could easily be developed (uh, I mean easily by someone with the skillzzz)?

4. Custom forums. We'll have a special premium area only accessible via paid members.

I could take it or leave it when it comes to premium forum access. I will frequent any forum that interests me, but I could see how it might restrict conversations by cutting out part of the community. I'm pretty neutral on this one.

5. Discounts on premium merchandise. A possibility, but our take on these items is minuscule as it is. We'll see.

Manufacturing physical goods costs money, and I think everyone can understand that. Personally I would be fine without the discount. If you wanted to give something to premium users, maybe offer a couple bucks off a month to use on orders if they happen to place one (say some kind of monthly coupon code that changes, so if it is not used that month it expires and a new one is issued so the coupons can't be saved and stacked). But no discount is alright with me.

I would pay around $7 for monthly access. Actually I usually prefer a longer term sub when I can afford it just so I can subscribe and not have to pay for a while (plus you usually pay less per month that way) so I'm sure I would eventually do the $40 option.

Other suggestions:

Maybe along with the monthly/yearly sub you could also offer al la carte episodes that are on the premium access list. So that way if someone wants to hear an archived premium episode, they could pay a small fee for access to that one episode. If the fee was really cheap it could expire (say after a few days or a week). It would have to be cheap if it's not permanent, but it would offer more flexibility for the user.

And what about a gift subscription option? This is what I was thinking - it could give one user a way to buy access for another (maybe a friend on the forum, etc). Of course soliciting gift subs on the forum/private messages/chat should not be permitted, but this functionality could also be used as a donation platform. Maybe have two options when buying a gift subscription, one to include another user's info (to give it to a specific person) or a donation recipient option. Let users 'donate' a subscription that goes into a community pool. Non-subscribing users could enter a monthly or quarterly drawing to receive one of the free donated subscriptions. That's also another way someone who might want to give more than the cost of their subscription to support the show could also help another loyal listener benefit.

And finally, categories for shows would be really nice. Kind of like how C2C breaks down their episodes into Paranormal, UFOs, Weird, etc. Some subjects interest me more than others so I like to be able to browse everything in that category. Searching by keyword doesn't always produce the best results. This might be something we in the community could help with initially. :) I don't think this should be a premium feature, but just something that might improve the archives and might appeal to newcomers who are looking for content related to specific topics.

Just a thought. Take it or leave it. :)

A lot of good and positive thoughts. Right now a lot of the remaining work involves working through the infrastructure to set the package into motion. We need some volunteer help to make this happen. We already have the XenForo Resource Manager installed; it's an add-on that allows us to establish premium forum areas, and access to custom downloads. Setting it up in the proper fashion and integrating the features we need to make this successful is a bit above my meager pay grade, though. :)

A lot of good and positive thoughts. Right now a lot of the remaining work involves working through the infrastructure to set the package into motion. We need some volunteer help to make this happen. We already have the XenForo Resource Manager installed; it's an add-on that allows us to establish premium forum areas, and access to custom downloads. Setting it up in the proper fashion and integrating the features we need to make this successful is a bit above my meager pay grade, though. :)

Gene, what are you looking at as far as setup/implementation? My husband it a knowledgeable computer guy and has done a few stints as a programmer and has worked with databases (I'm not knowledgeable enough to know specifically what he knows and doesn't know lol). He's also a very quick learner when it comes to that kind of thing. Is this something like back end tech stuff that you need? I could ask him if it might be something he can do. If you have a list of specifics, that would be really helpful. He's not a designer but he sometimes makes me think he's some kind of computer wizard with the programming stuff he knows. :p

Back