• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Ann Druffel - Voluntary ignorance

CapnG

Devil's Advocate
What's the deal with Ann Druffel anyway? She sounds like a nice enough woman, and her comments were interesting (although not exactly expansive, retreading existing ground really) but whenever she would get to a certain point, she'd basically say "Well, I can't go there because of my faith". WTF is that? She's already not down with the earth being 6000 years old (which it can't be, even by the math of the Bible it has to be at least 12,000-20,000) so how come she feels the need to throw up these blinders. Better still, why didn't David grill her on that very point?

I say David because it's increasingly becoming the case that he plays bad cop to Gene's good cop. ;)

CapnG said:
What's the deal with Ann Druffel anyway? She sounds like a nice enough woman, and her comments were interesting (although not exactly expansive, retreading existing ground really) but whenever she would get to a certain point, she'd basically say "Well, I can't go there because of my faith". WTF is that?

I know, you're right!:confused:

Near the end of the interview, Ms. Druffel stated that Neanderthals were probably not human ancestors. One of the hosts, I believe it was David, rebutted her remark by claiming that there is no scientific basis to support it. In fact, there is.
Svante Paabo of the University of Munich, along with colleagues in the U.S. has succeeded in extracting enough mitochondrial dna from fossil remains to complete sequencing tests. The results clearly demonstrated that Neanderthals are not ancestral to human beings. While the news was something of a bombshell within the ranks of research and academia, it has nevertheless been accepted as beyond doubt.
Further Neanderthal dna reclamtion is being conducted by Paabo at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology. He has stated that within the next two years he will have sequenced enough data to reveal physical characteristics of the species that no anthropologist has ever hoped possible, including hair and skin color.

Professor Bryan Sykes also pointed out that Neanderthal DNA has too many chromosomes to be a predecessor to Human DNA in his book "The Seven Daughters of Eve" (also on mitochondrial research).

There's plenty of science backing this fact up. Sorry guys, they're not our ancestors.

-DBTrek

Mogwa said:
Near the end of the interview, Ms. Druffel stated that Neanderthals were probably not human ancestors. One of the hosts, I believe it was David, rebutted her remark by claiming that there is no scientific basis to support it. In fact, there is.
Svante Paabo of the University of Munich, along with colleagues in the U.S. has succeeded in extracting enough mitochondrial dna from fossil remains to complete sequencing tests. The results clearly demonstrated that Neanderthals are not ancestral to human beings. While the news was something of a bombshell within the ranks of research and academia, it has nevertheless been accepted as beyond doubt.
Further Neanderthal dna reclamtion is being conducted by Paabo at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology. He has stated that within the next two years he will have sequenced enough data to reveal physical characteristics of the species that no anthropologist has ever hoped possible, including hair and skin color.

Last I read they linked them to the ginger gene. I read about how when you see a red head they have neanderthals as ancestors. Like many things in science, different people say different things.

Here's some info. on it. neanderthal ginger gene - Google Search

I recommend taking certainty lightly when it comes to our origins.

It's my understanding that they're considered a parallel species, co-existing with us, certainly having common ancestry with us but not directly related to us in terms of decendants.

Although now that I think about it, I recall reading somewhere about a theory that Neanderthals were bred out by modern humans, hybridizing in some areas and simply dying off in others, they're an evolutionary cul-du-sac.

A.LeClair said:
If you want to stop an abduction, break out the video camera. It's apparently kryptonite to them.

Or they just mind control you to move out of view of the camera..
I don't think the hemet idea is a bad idea. I can't imagine leather even muting mind control but some materials might work.

A.LeClair said:
Here's some info. on it. neanderthal ginger gene - Google Search

I recommend taking certainty lightly when it comes to our origins.

From the annotated Wikipedia entry under 'red hair':

Estimates on the original occurrence of the currently active gene for red hair vary from 20,000 to 100,000 years ago. Based on a 2001 Oxford University study, some commentators speculated that Neanderthals had red hair, and that some redheaded and freckled humans today share some genetic heritage with Neanderthals. Other researchers disagree, and the scientists who conducted the 2001 Oxford study have said that this is a misinterpretation of their findings.

I'm inclined to believe the Oxford scientists who conducted the study, and say the Neanderthal-human ginger gene link is a misrepresentation of their work.

As for . . .

Although now that I think about it, I recall reading somewhere about a theory that Neanderthals were bred out by modern humans, hybridizing in some areas and simply dying off in others, they're an evolutionary cul-du-sac.

Professor Bryan Sykes points out that humans have 46 chromosomes while neaderthals have 48. This makes breeding between the two species highly unlikely, and would result in sterile offspring if by some miracle it were possible.

So . . . if all Neaderthals started mating exclusively with humans and stopped mating with eachother I guess they could be "bred out" by modern humans. As our understanding of genetics stands today they would not create hybrids, nor would their 'ginger gene' be able to enter our genetic code since there would be no offspring between the species.

-DBTrek

The Hawk said:
Or they just mind control you to move out of view of the camera..
I don't think the hemet idea is a bad idea. I can't imagine leather even muting mind control but some materials might work.

The greys will be too busy laughing their little crackless butts off to do the task, so yes, it will probably work.

CapnG said:
But greys don't laugh, they're emotionless drones.... supposedly.

They korff instead. It's the alien equivilant of a human's laugh. Pay no mind to the coincidence of the word being the same as the name of a somewhat well known ufo researcher. Purely a coincidence. :)

A.LeClair said:
I was surprised and puzzled they were having her on. I'm just glad she isn't as bad as this.
Stop Alien Abductions

David Jacobs was on Lou Gentile's show a year or two ago and was asked if there is any possible way to stop an abduction. Jacobs referenced this guy, Michael Menkin, and this hat; implying it may work. But he said you have to wear it 24/7 making it impractical to live a normal life.

miner said:
David Jacobs was on Lou Gentile's show a year or two ago and was asked if there is any possible way to stop an abduction. Jacobs referenced this guy, Michael Menkin, and this hat; implying it may work. But he said you have to wear it 24/7 making it impractical to live a normal life.

I would suggest it isn't the hat that makes the living of a normal, productive life difficult. It's the belief in the efficacy of a hat like that that cripples the wearer.:rolleyes:

Back