• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Andy Colvin on John Keel 1/12/14

almost forgot.. I thought Chris was riding herd pretty good once again as I did (initially) find fault with Andy's hinting on the aggressive nature of UFO's by mentioning the harm that resulted from what seems to be radiation damage. As Chris pointed out, this is almost certainly not intentional and just a matter of circumstance which Andy acknowledged but it almost seemed reluctantly. Not that I would endorse Mr. Streiber's space brothers cause.

As little a detail as it is, I really like the way Gene has simply been saying "we need to go to commercial" these past two episodes of 2014 (as opposed to attempting to make a pun on the last phrase said by the guest).

In some ways, I feel like both Gene and Chris are a little more dialed in these past two episodes. However, I'm sure it's easy to get sidetracked when a guest goes off the deepend.

I think both of you do an excellent job of being respectful of the guest, but also not giving them a free pass at the same time. Lately, both of you have done a fine job allowing the guest to share their experiences/theories while at the same time interjecting with your own experiences and theories. It's a fine line because the host shouldn't dominate the guest - especially since listeners are often quite familiar with the host's theories/stories and not the guests.

Bottom line: 2014 is off to a noticeable good start. Keep up the great work!

almost forgot.. I thought Chris was riding herd pretty good once again as I did (initially) find fault with Andy's hinting on the aggressive nature of UFO's by mentioning the harm that resulted from what seems to be radiation damage. As Chris pointed out, this is almost certainly not intentional and just a matter of circumstance which Andy acknowledged but it almost seemed reluctantly. Not that I would endorse Mr. Streiber's space brothers cause.
That's the problem with binary thinking that often positions the other-worldly creature as either kind space brother with environmental messages of quantum spirituality or as evil demon who will torment our souls and stick implants where the sun don't shine.

Lately we've heard a lot more about a third archetypal option - the trickster, which is a lot more reflective of the indifferent nature of reported encounters, while simultaneously acknowledging those witness statements as feeling like they, themselves were the specific focus of the contact.

For me those personal feelings of being chosen lean too closely to the experience of the contactee and suggests more of an internal anomalous experience than external. I think we should start separating cases with more discretion to acknowledge paradox and indifference a little more, instead of just chalking it up to friend, demon or trickster. All large labels and categories are limiting. Maybe we are not so important to be even contacted in the first place and our paranormal experiences are just internal, subjective events?

Last edited:
Maybe we are not so important to be even contacted in the first place and our paranormal experiences are just internal, subjective events?
This is the question I find myself asking lately.

Technically, we could say all human experiences are internal, subjective events. Our brains are locked in our skulls, and all info about the external world comes through our senses and is woven together/interpreted, at the conscious level at least, by the mind.

In that sense, all conscious human experience has to be psychological. And while most humans agree on a whole host of object facts (common sense) about the nature of reality, one need only have a brief conservation with someone to realize that bubbling under the surface of all of us is our own private logical about the nature of reality.

I'll be the first to say that I think many people who have "experienced" Mothman have really experienced an owl flying by overhead. While I don't think the materialistic, scientific worldview is necessarily the defining worldview, I do think many people fail to understand the subjective, psychological nature of their experiences. For instance, the human mind literally fills in the blanks when sensory data is missing: Thus, when you see a moving shadow take the shape of a creature, what one may be experiencing is pareidolia, an incredibly intense psychological phenomena. But what I think many people fail to realize is that this experience of pareidolia can still trigger an emotional response; in fact, I would say especially if one doesn't realize or at least question whether they are experiencing pareidolia, they will have a powerful emotional response.

I think the emotional response is even more powerful than the pareidolia! The emotional response - fear, panic, confusion, excitement, joy, etc. - is what causes the experience to seem real. Moreover, the experience is real! But it's the understanding of the experience which may be wrong.

What I would really like to see is a series of experiments in which a large sample of individuals allow themselves to be randomly exposed to various stimuli and are then asked to share their perceived experience.

For example, over the course of 2-3 months, have people randomly exposed to a cloth sheet fluttering high up in a tree, late on a windy night, under low light conditions. The following day, ask each person to report what they experienced. I'd be curious to see what details, if any, people would add to the experience. (That was a lame example, I'm sure others could think of better experiments.)

However, having said all that: I personally don't think pareidolia can account for all the paranatural experiences that people have reported down through the centuries. There are many people, I'm sure, who are very, very aware of pareidolia who have experienced the paranatural. Moreover, the are some very clear patterns that have emerged over the years which speak to this phenomenon as being more than individual, subjective events. (Although, the patterns could arguably be chalked up to pattern in the human psyche/collective unconscious.)

My big question now is whether the "force" identified in this episode interfaces with us directly via the mind, or whether it does actually take on a physical manifestation.

Lately we've heard a lot more about a third archetypal option - the trickster…
I've been focusing on the terrestrial trickster, of the John Keel variety. Not meaning to pick on Keel, but he's such a prime example of what many reporters (mainstream to paranormal) do, that is latch on to a few facts and fill in the big gaping holes with speculation, innuendo or fabrication. If you read or heard their version of the story first, it gets cemented in your mind, and even when you get the real facts it'll be difficult to put the "enhanced" story aside.

Turning now to Soupie's discussion of pareidolia, I had a very mundane brush with such an encounter myself just recently (which if you're curious can be found through the link in my signature). One thing that is frequently overlooked is that once you see something (real or imagined) it triggers an emotional state which may also be accompanied by an adrenaline rush. When its happened to me, I get spooked and stay spooked for a while thereafter, jumpy, and seeing menace in every shadow. If this happened to someone and the alleged whatsit couldn't be found afterwards, then it come together much like any paranormal encounter story.

Soupie's question: "My big question now is whether the "force" identified in this episode interfaces with us directly via the mind, or whether it does actually take on a physical manifestation." There are a few times, I've been in places (some dark and some in day) and without any apparent stimulus just had been hit in the gut with a sense of menace and felt I had to get out of there. I did and nothing happened. Not much of a story, but the feelings were as real to me as the earth below.

I think both of you do an excellent job of being respectful of the guest, but also not giving them a free pass at the same time. Lately, both of you have done a fine job allowing the guest to share their experiences/theories while at the same time interjecting with your own experiences and theories. It's a fine line because the host shouldn't dominate the guest - especially since listeners are often quite familiar with the host's theories/stories and not the guests.

+1

Good episode. Hosting is a tricky job. I'm a newbie to para and Paracast, but growing to like it.

Back