• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Andrew Neddermeyer interview (this weeks show)

Gareth

Nothin' to see here
Not the most interesting episode guys. Your friend seems like a genuinely nice guy David, however I felt the show as a whole was probably the most boring Ive heard of all the Paracasts....

Hearing about his Dads involvement in the Manhattan project was kinda interesting, but the anecdotes about bending a fork and some remote viewing experiments were a little weak.

It didnt sound like Andrew is even that interested in the subject of paranormal events anyway. Ahh well.... I realise not every episode can be with a Rich Dolan or a Mac Tonnies. Keep up the great work guys.

BTW Gene I hope you werent dropping a hint that the Paracast is coming to a close next year? I got a sense that you two were trying to tell us something there.

I thought it was a very interesting show. The most interesting part was indeed the discussion of the “Manhattan Project” in general. To me that also proves that this show can be very interesting even slightly outside of the paranormal and at times touch subjects of politics and science.

The Manhattan Project has always interested me because of the importance of the nuclear tests and ultimately the usage of them on Japan. I strongly feel one of the darkest chapters in American history. Everyone has their opinion on that and I assume most people agree that it’s looked upon as a bad decision. Others, of course, will say it stopped WW II and was a necessary evil. The debate will rage on forever.

Personally, I think Dr. Oppenheimer was totally insane and it can be seen in his statements after the Trinity test.

Overall, I think it was a good show, a different show, and I don’t mind going into science that may not be paranormal in nature. As was previously mentioned, I also hope you guys are not done with the show either. I heard those comments and to me they sounded like frustration. Don’t worry guys, despite the banter about particular shows we are still listening and not going anywhere as long as the show goes on.

Not the most interesting episode guys. Your friend seems like a genuinely nice guy David, however I felt the show as a whole was probably the most boring Ive heard of all the Paracasts.

What in heaven's name is wrong with you? Don't you know our hosts are smarter than you are? They specifically stated on this show that they do not want us listeners suggesting questions to ask, because at that point why have a host at all? Just have a robot. Boy, I'll sure never make that mistake again, but moreover, here's the deal. They can do anything they want

"BECAUSE IT'S OUR SHOW and we can do whatever we want. That’s the bottom line. Do people not understand that part of the equation?"

Once you do understand that part of the equation, you can better understand your role in assessing the show. It doesn't exist. Why should it? It's not yours. Either quietly listen to the show or leave. You aren't paying for it, are you? Surely you are not one of the few who donated are you? If you happen to have a different opinion about anything at all, you'd best keep it to yourself because, well, David is always right. As such, he needs no feedback. What would be the point? It would be best if you just admitted that. It would be easier for everyone.

Just as Ross Perot said to never argue with anyone who buys newsprint by the ton, never argue with the guys who have the microphones. So please keep your opinions about the show to yourself--unless, of course, you want to throw heaps of praise. Oh, and if you ever do play ball with them, be sure and bring your own ball.

Sigh...

Yeah, I'm always right. My best friends will certainly verify that - and I always claim to have all the answers, my opinion is absolute, and that's that.

:eek:

dB

"They specifically stated on this show that they do not want us listeners suggesting questions to ask, because at that point why have a host at all? Just have a robot."

You sure? I thought they said Snoory asks his guests to submit their own questions and at that point why not have a robot.

To have a key scientist, one who participated directly in the creation of the atomic era, writing to a high-level peer about the UFO question is important historical data, IMO.

And has anyone watched the Youtube video of the thing Andy did while working on Pirates of the Caribbean 3? It's very cool.

(The video seems to play smoother on the YT site)

dB

Okay, I haven't listened to this show yet as it isn't on my iPod. But someone please answer the question GSB asked. Was Gene dropping a hint about the show going away???
(Fervently hopes it isn't true but understands that people have lives and their own problems and situations to deal with.)

"They specifically stated on this show that they do not want us listeners suggesting questions to ask, because at that point why have a host at all? Just have a robot."

You sure? I thought they said Snoory asks his guests to submit their own questions and at that point why not have a robot.

A gold star for noticing, young jedi.

:D

dB

Cottonzway,

I happen to agree about what the U.S. did to the Japanesse. Although I don't want to bring that argument here. The other statement that Dr. Oppenheimer was crazy I don't agree with. Considering what they were unleashing it would have been crazy to be flip about it. He was or seemed to be a thoughtful man.

I very much enjoyed the posted Pirates video. But watching the sfx crew blow up that beautiful frigate miniature made me wince.
My father was an electrical engineer. When I was in primary school he was offered a job with Universal studios, but my mother refused to even consider the notion of moving to California. I sometimes wonder what changes that relocation would have made in all our lives. I'm certain that my two younger twin brothers, who demonstrate traits of mind boggling vanity, would have made swell actors.

I enjoyed the story about the remote viewing, I like how Andrew described it as 'impressionistic'. His story backs up the premise in the book "The Men Who Stare At Goats" where it's stated that the Soviets were heavily involved in this type of stuff. The book goes on to talk about how the US military formed it's own psychic unit in the army in response even though they didn't believe in the stuff just because they couldn't give the Soviets any advantage. Of course John Alexander said most of this book was incorrect when I saw him speak at the x conference.

This episode wasn't in the paracast 'Hall of Fame' but as always an enjoyable listen and cool to hear someone with some inside scoop on the 'real' scientific community.

My dad who was a successful journalist actually interviewed Openheimmer years ago, I recall he said he was a pretty nice dude. But of course meeting someone for an hour hardly gives you the full picture. On a flip note my dad's all time hero (Willie Mays) was a complete asshole when my dad finally interviewed him.

Moral of the story, don't interview your hero, you may be very very dissappointed :(

Cottonzway,

I happen to agree about what the U.S. did to the Japanesse. Although I don't want to bring that argument here. The other statement that Dr. Oppenheimer was crazy I don't agree with. Considering what they were unleashing it would have been crazy to be flip about it. He was or seemed to be a thoughtful man.

He quoted "I have become death, the Destroyer of Worlds" right after the Trinity Test and looked to have no soul in his eyes while making that comment. He did not look or sound like a sane man. I am not saying he wasn't brilliant at one time, but he sounded and looked mentally ill in that comment I posted.

Talk to Gene. I don't have a penny of your $50.

dB
So there's no confision: Most of the donation money (what little there is) covers our operating expenses, including streaming and leasing our server. Between us, we can barely cover a Wendy's burger with what's left. The last donation we got was $5, over a week ago. :(

Hey, if I didn't say so--sorry. A good show! Little lower key than some, but that's okay. I once took a course on the History of the A-Bomb. It was fun to hear some of that stuff again and compare it with the stuff I read back then. (No contradictions; everything dovetailed nicely.) I also enjoyed Neddermeyer's father's issues on psi--well ahead of his time, I think. And the pirate video was great, too. Thanks. I enjoyed his comments on the movie and special effects industry. I especially enjoyed your comments on the Enterprise crash. It was great when I saw it at the movies, but nice to hear a little of the behind-the-scenes stuff.

Overall I think the Paracast is great. In fact, it has become a must-have for me. I look forward to every issue. That's why I donated. It's about the same as a subscription to New Scientist, which is a weekly, so fair is fair. Why not help defray the cost? If our hosts scream at me some more, I'll just consider it payment for back issues. No big deal!

Ultimately I think you are known by your posts or, if you happen to have a microphone, what you say. If your posts are reasoned and coherent, if your arguments are backed by facts others can check, then you will wind up with a better reputation than if you simply post ill-considered opinion. Someone who is REALLY dreadful, off-topic, and antagonistic won't last, I trust, because they show they don't really want to be part of the 'community.' Contrast Richard Dolan and that Meier representative guy (avoiding his name on purpose).

I don't know all the goals of Gene and David, but there is a thread on here relating to going big time and getting syndicated. We as readers have been solicited to help make that happen. I hope that it does. It would reward our hosts and make this thing more than just a hobby for them. I think it is far better than 'that other show' and my guess is most of us hope they make it.

Therein lies the rub. You all have experienced 'the attitude.' You've heard it and you've read it, whether or not it has been directed at you. Any criticism of the show results in a barrage of abuse, including yelling, screaming, and swearing accompanied with a proclamation of their right to do so because it is their show. So if you don't do things the way 'Johnny' wants you to then he'll take HIS BALL and go home feeling oh, so unappreciated. It has become a weekly ritual to abuse the listeners, make fun of them, or otherwise justify their own personality traits. We've got it memorized now, truly. Would you please yell this more loudly next episode? i don't think I quite heard you.

In my opinion, this is juvenile behavior. It's self-indulgent and shows a lack of maturity. You can't have 'reasoned discourse' on any subject when people are doing that. All that results in is one definition of diplomacy: Saying "Nice doggy! Nice doggy!" while looking for a stick. I mean, get this guy into a cage before he goes bloody ballistic on you. I carry mace for doggies like that.

Compare this behavior to a professional journalist, even one known for those 'difficult' questions. Charlie Rose, for example. Pick your own favorites; I don't have one. The point is that if you want the Paracast to grow and get a wider audience, you're going to have to stop this behavior. I'm not 'telling' you to do it. Do what you want. After all, it's YOUR show. I'm simply saying, that's what is going to have to happen to take this to the next level. Please have a little heart to heart conversation with yourselves and see if you can do it. The topic is: Raising the level of professionalism.

If you can't, this is what will happen. You'll go on a few more months, become increasingly frustrated with the low donation level and lack of progress, and ultimately quit because you have better things to do and this takes so much time. You alluded to that last show. All I know for certain is, you'll have plenty of people on your list to blame.

I don't expect to see a last show anytime soon. We're not laboring under the impression that we are owed donations, or anything for that matter. We simply make the option open for those who care about such things, and for those who don't, no problem.

We aren't going to charge for the archives even if we go on terrestrial and/or satellite radio.

To have a key scientist, one who participated directly in the creation of the atomic era, writing to a high-level peer about the UFO question is important historical data, IMO.

True that. I completely forgot about the letter to be hones, and I agree it was fascinating.

Schuyler: I think that you kinda miss the point about why Gene and David get upset about certain criticisms thrown their way. Its not like people are generally criticising them about the show format or type of guest or whatever. It seems to me they get specific criticisms about they way they question and the tone they use.

That being the case I dont blame them for "Its out show mantra".

And has anyone watched the Youtube video of the thing Andy did while working on Pirates of the Caribbean 3? It's very cool.

This kinda puts me in mind of the first time I saw an on-set photo of the Rodger Young from the first Starship Troopers movie. It amuses me how something the size of a small bus can be labelled as a "miniature". :)

Back