• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Ancient Hominids That Were Smarter Than We Are?

Neandertal people's brains were also larger than ours.
We don't know whether that means that they were smarter, per se, but general belief is that they would have been just as smart (although more stuck in their ways) than Cro Magnon. And our ancestors were almost extinct at a time when Neandertals still inhabited Ice Age Europe.

The other signifier of possible intelligence is in Brain/Body ratio -- that being, the ratio of brain size compared to that of the whole body. (The only other known animals to match us in brain size and brain/body ratio are dolphins.) I would generally be among the first to jump to the defence of any animal that people are mocking as "stupid". I suspect a lot of this attribution has to do with the old idea of the "Barbarian". (We don't understand these others, and therefore they can't possibly have anything to say.)

Interestingly enough "immature" facial features in adults are also a mark of domestication -- dogs for example have the facial structure of wolf pups (except for pugs who retain the structure of a wolf foetus, ugh poor things!) Not to say that they were farmers too (might be moderately ridiculous to leap to that conclusion) but that point did strike me as rather intriguing.

Just a few meandering points. Thanks in any case for bringing that article to our attention -- it was a good read in any year. :redface:

Back