• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Analog vs. Digital

Jeff Davis

Paranormal Adept
Recently I found myself considering what many have questioned over the course of the last 20 years or so. Why is it that so much of the MIB & Poltergeist related, haunted phone & TV tampering tactics, tracking, and interruptions have basically become a thing of the past? Could our transition from analog broadcast, to digital transmission, be responsible or have something to do with this?

If you believe what the greatest Ufologist of all time contends, John A. Keel, the answer is quite possibly yes. Keel contended that those responsible for the UFOs were in fact denizens of our own environment, although assuredly these same responsible agencies were in no way human. Their natural existence and abilities seem to lie within an electromagnetic portion of the environment for which we have no natural propensity or occupancy that we as a species are aware of at this time.

So, what is analog as related to human perception and what does this have to do with UFOs?

Analog, or Analogue as spelled back in the old country, is defined as being a physically continuous quantified representation of precise measurement. This representation produces a recorded pattern of detectible electromagnetic signaling that we register cognitively as matching source derived natural neurological signaling decoded by the brain. Tape is an analog recording medium that is used by analog recording devices. When we play back a tape, or any recorded analog source such as video, what we are really doing is playing back not actual music (musicians playing the music originally), but rather a recorded configuration of electromagnetic signals that our brains are able to perceive when played back, as being music. Although it's very similar, this is not how the brain works when decoding the original sourced music initially, nor is it how our brains function when we hear the recordings played back. After all, our brains are not magnetic. Rather, what we are doing in the analog process is recording the patterns of information on an analog magnetic tape head based on sound pressure so that when played back through speakers they mimic and produce the sound pressures needed to replicate the initial source of the recording. Our ears do the same thing except they measure vibrations against microscopic hair like sensors that subsequently transmit neurological signals that are interpreted in the brain as an experience cognitively.

So if these quasi denizens of our own environment do in fact electromagnetically hail from what is to us the naturally non-perceivable, possibly the digital world is in no way a viable natural medium through which to communicate, motivate, or express themselves to us. Maybe they require the uninterrupted signaling that analog represents through which they themselves are able to modulate (control electromagnetic frequency) due to their own limitations. Maybe the square wave digital realm to them is much like a fish would be if out of water.

So the question remains, does Indrid Cold own a cell phone? I don't think so.

Yikes! Gettin' pretty deep in here. Better go find my wellies.

No question that John was neither an expert, nor a "Ufologist" by self admission. The statement that I made, that you emboldened, is an "in context", provocative poke, a little too much over nothing concerning the whole ufologist pissing match routine so often encountered. IMO, there is no such thing as a "Ufologist" apart from those who think they are. In my book, I think I have to respect that.

What I want to know is how to measure and signify a probability wave, like one would a sine or square wave via an oscilloscope .

I would also like to understand a means by which cognition in multiple individuals could be entrained to experience an identical environmental overview via an effectively delivered subset of raw data interpreted by the brain as memory enough to build relative familiarity.

Recently I found myself considering what many have questioned over the course of the last 20 years or so. Why is it that so much of the MIB & Poltergeist related, haunted phone & TV tampering tactics, tracking, and interruptions have basically become a thing of the past? Could our transition from analog broadcast, to digital transmission, be responsible or have something to do with this?

If you believe what the greatest Ufologist of all time contends, John A. Keel, the answer is quite possibly yes ...
Or maybe it's because digitization eliminates induction crosstalk in the lines so nobody is assuming that the voice of Ethel Wilson down the street is their dead grandmother.
So the question remains, does Indrid Cold own a cell phone? I don't think so.
Me neither ;).

Or maybe it's because digitization eliminates induction crosstalk in the lines so nobody is assuming that the voice of Ethel Wilson down the street is their dead grandmother.
During my time spent as production assistant in the 90's for various independent shoots where I ran everything from camera, to lighting to audio it always fascinated me how our many cables downtown Toronto, combined with the man streetcar cables outside the house could form brilliant antennas picking up all manner of "ghostly" voices far too easily. It was always a very annoying process to insure that audio and electrical cables had enough independence in their configurations on the floor to avoid recording voices not actually in the room. Shielded cables helped immensely.

I think that when various EVP recording artists make claims that certain types of low tech analog recorders are best at producing results it would be interesting to see whether or not these devices are simply more susceptible to gathering radio and other broadcast frequency signals than more expensive recorders shielded from such signals everywhere in the air.

Me neither ;).

Ufology,
Excellent to hear from you Sir. Frankly, I was thinking about you just earlier today with respect to the more logical, rationally skeptical camp, of those in the know concerning things that go right angle in the night, as well as a the day at times.

If you haven't already, you absolutely have to listen to the latest mind blowing episode of the Paracast due to the legitimate and verifiable nature of the reported paranormal events contained therein. Maybe the best episode I have ever heard. Not kidding. The poltergeist information alone was staggering concerning the complete obliteration of former, commonly held, speculative conclusions. Conclusions that for me and most others considering the most basic aspects of reported information, seemed more a matter of paranormal commonsense.

What I am most fascinated by here is the seeming non-local connectivity that is demonstrated via poltergeist activity. Heavy stuff revealed, and certain to bear out far reaching cross ties to, and within, consciousness research.

During my time spent as production assistant in the 90's for various independent shoots where I ran everything from camera, to lighting to audio it always fascinated me how our many cables downtown Toronto, combined with the man streetcar cables outside the house could form brilliant antennas picking up all manner of "ghostly" voices far too easily. It was always a very annoying process to insure that audio and electrical cables had enough independence in their configurations on the floor to avoid recording voices not actually in the room. Shielded cables helped immensely.

I think that when various EVP recording artists make claims that certain types of low tech analog recorders are best at producing results it would be interesting to see whether or not these devices are simply more susceptible to gathering radio and other broadcast frequency signals than more expensive recorders shielded from such signals everywhere in the air.

Absolutely! Again, in the latest pc, Loyd Auerbach really hits this dead on and nails this thing tight. Does a beautiful job actually.

What I would like to see is a correlational map of electromagnetic fields of all types, from naturally extant geomagnetic activity all the way up through microwaves, with well vetted paranormal activity. Possible correlations of emf strength and well documented UFO encounters might be interesting.

This would be an ambitious project. And it would probably only be possible for recent time frames due to ongoing man-made changes in electromagnetic field strength. Our cloud of emf fog gets a little thicker every year.

All we would need is a multimillion dollar grant and a few years of measuring and data crunching !

Personally, my opinion is that John Keel is great for entertainment value, but entertainment value only. I don't consider him a Ufologist and I'm pretty sure he rejected that title as well. Keel was a demonologist. Did he die before or after we converted to digital?

However, if you want to probe a digital conspiracy then you should really think along the lines of how the change to digital allows the government control to clamp down on t.v. whenever it so chooses. Also, switching to digital allows for the ability to tamper with so-called "live feed". The CIA has had this technology to tamper with live feed for a very long time now. However, analog was a bit of a nuisance. Now the nuisance has been removed.

Personally, my opinion is that John Keel is great for entertainment value, but entertainment value only. I don't consider him a Ufologist and I'm pretty sure he rejected that title as well. Keel was a demonologist. Did he die before or after we converted to digital?

However, if you want to probe a digital conspiracy then you should really think along the lines of how the change to digital allows the government control to clamp down on t.v. whenever it so chooses. Also, switching to digital allows for the ability to tamper with so-called "live feed". The CIA has had this technology to tamper with live feed for a very long time now. However, analog was a bit of a nuisance. Now the nuisance has been removed.

I am interested in your comments. Personally, I don't think there is any such thing as a "ufologist" apart from someone that shows a very keen interest in UFOs. Do you honestly know of ANY authorities on UFOs other than those who are claimed to be by others or themselves? Is there any officialdom to any of this? Were Hynek or Vallee honestly any closer to an answer? Truthfully, at this point, Vallee is siding with the consciousness research and metaphysical trappings associated with UFOs.

Keel referred to himself as a demonologist in tongue in cheek fashion. He also saw far greater correlations to and with folklore denizens than space faring explorers. With respect to a real correlations study concerning UFOs, I don't know of anyone any more so keen than Keel.

Have you read Operation Trojan Horse? Certainly far and away beyond entertainment my friend. I am aware of no other effort in the realm of this stuff called "Ufology" that exacts the degree of scrutiny put forth by this effort.

What I would like to see is a correlational map of electromagnetic fields of all types, from naturally extant geomagnetic activity all the way up through microwaves, with well vetted paranormal activity. Possible correlations of emf strength and well documented UFO encounters might be interesting.

This would be an ambitious project. And it would probably only be possible for recent time frames due to ongoing man-made changes in electromagnetic field strength. Our cloud of emf fog gets a little thicker every year.

All we would need is a multimillion dollar grant and a few years of measuring and data crunching !

I agree. Check out this news paper article with Keel pointing to the same. December « 2009 « JOHN KEEL: NOT AN AUTHORITY ON ANYTHING

Back