• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Air phenomena in Norway

I found the first photograph the most compelling. I hope someone does some analysis on these. :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...-spiral-blue-light-display-hovers-Norway.html

Comment from a reader:

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
- Ted, Boston MA, 09/12/2009 15:55

LOL

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1234430/Mystery-spiral-blue-light-display-hovers-Norway.html#ixzz0ZD122hNB

That is not a fucking rocket. It is not a nightclub display either, way, way too massive.

Maybe its a prank of some sort. The too cool to be high strangeness factor is triggered.

Thanks for posting the link. The video footage makes this even more interest and it validates that the photographs are most likely not doctored. Wow!

You might be on to something. Did you notice the sentence on the wikipedia entry: The European Incoherent Scatter Scientific Association (EISCAT) operates an ionospheric heating facility, capable of transmitting over 1 GW effective radiated power (ERP), near Tromsø, Norway. <SUP id=cite_ref-7 class=reference> </SUP>Russia has the Sura Ionospheric Heating Facility, in Vasilsursk near Nizhniy Novgorod, capable of transmitting 190 MW ERP.

I also found this interesting excerpt on the physicsforums.com:
Massimo Teodorani, Ph.D.
Astrophysicist
CNR – Istituto di Radioastronomia
Via Fiorentina – Medicina (BO) – North ITALY
E-mail : [email protected] and [email protected]

The EMBLA 2000 Mission in Hessdalen
... ABSTRACT. In August 2000 a team of italian physical scientists, working in collaboration with Norwegian colleagues from Østfold College, carried out an instrumental expedition in Hessdalen (Norway), which was just the first of a series of future scientific missions planned by the joint italian-norwegian EMBLA Project. The expedition was aimed at studying unexplained anomalous atmospheric luminous phenomena occurring in the Hessdalen valley since about 20 years, and it was particularly focussed to the study of the radio spectrum in the UHF, VLF and ELF wavelength ranges. The employed radio spectrum analyzers, which were automatically in function all the time for 25 days, permitted to discover highly anomalous periodic signals which were caracterized by a spike-like and a doppler-like morphology and which were mostly detected in the VLF radio range. Moreover, during the many planned skywatching sessions, it was possible to sight repeatedly luminous atmospheric phenomena of both plasma-like and structured types in varius points of the Hessdalen valley; some photographs were also taken and subsequently analyzed. This paper represents a preliminary report on this mission, in which both radio and visual phenomena are described. Some speculative physical models explaining some aspects of the recorded anomalous radio signals are discussed. [continued]
404 Not Found
http://www.itacomm.net/PH/embla2001/embla2001_e.pdf
http://hessdalen.org/reports/EMBLA_2002_2.pdf

I wish it were something OTHER than a rocket, but if you look at this photo, the trail rising up from the horizon, and then look on Youtube for "mysterious spiral UFO's over Russia....well, I think what we got on our hands here is a VERY COOL looking failed rocket launch.

YOYD2X1CgNBSeaPse9LjVwT6ymkkphv7Q7x0aibAWJwg.jpg

My very first post about two and a half years ago was about Hessdalen. The point, as I recall, is that Hessdalen is a pretty well documented phenomenon since at least the 80's with clumps of sightings around certain years. I was hoping to get someone on to address or at least be knowledgeable of Hessdalen or other Earth light phenomenon. I can't remember the professor who undertook the original study, but it can be easily found with a little search.

This type of phenomenon is found throughout the world in certain places and to me it represents some kind of poorly or not understood at all phenomenon. Researchers in the UFO field seem to be quite reluctant to even discuss it. And this is of course that the phenomenon doesn't represent the "fantastic" (aliens). If you look at the observations from Hessdalen we see different colors, different formations, some floating down valleys, some appearing and reappearing, some bright, some dimming, and so on. The lights at Hessdalen can't even be adequetely described in a few words because it changes each time. Even so, it never, to my knowledge, seems to represent aliens and isn't even definitive if there is any intelligence involved at all. Not a very capturing story when "others" aren't involved. So, in turn, many people just ignore it.

I think it is important to keep this type of enigmatic phenomenon in mind when discussing UFO's because it might explain some sightings. And we don't find it just in Norway. We find similar stuff around the globe. Take for example the Iran 1976 case. What we see is a great ball of light that breaks up, "approaches", reconnects, and goes away ultimately. This is the same type of thing that has been observed with the Hessdalen lights. What I am getting at is that maybe our perception of what is happening is not equal to what is really happening. What if the Iran affair was due to some naturalistic force that we percieved of as "intruders" or "aliens" just because it appeared to act like it?? What if it was some type of force, unintelligent, that we are just ignorant of?? I'm not even saying Iran was something like this, but there are lots of reports of similar phenomena that are strikingly familiar in light of Hessdalen. But that would mean it isn't quite as fantastic as we concieve it to be. I say, oh well, the truth might not be as sensational as we think, .... at least in some circumstances. It's only intellectually honest if we keep more mundane possibilities in mind, and I think the Hessdalen phenomenon might be something close to that.

It doesn't explain everything, that is for sure, but I find it interesting and a little disappointing that it is never even mentioned as a possibility especially considering the documentation of such anomalous lights.

All that said, the swirling lights doesn't look like anything associated with the Hessdalen phenomena. It looks like something going up or down in cold weather, possibly a rocket, I don't know.

I wish it were something OTHER than a rocket, but if you look at this photo, the trail rising up from the horizon, and then look on Youtube for "mysterious spiral UFO's over Russia....well, I think what we got on our hands here is a VERY COOL looking failed rocket launch.

YOYD2X1CgNBSeaPse9LjVwT6ymkkphv7Q7x0aibAWJwg.jpg

I am currently wondering if some of the photos are fake too. There appear to be some pretty unspectacular pictures along with the amazing spiral picture (which is somewhat suspect in its amazing detail).

http://www.barentsobserver.com/fail...light-over-northern-norway.4663494-58932.html

"According to NRK, Arkhangelsk Radio sent out an advance warning about several missile launches from the White Sea in the period December 7-10.The warning included launches on the night to Wednesday. An anonymous source in the Northern Fleet told Norwegian news paper VG that they had no information about the incident. Press Attaché at Russia’s Embassy in Oslo Vladimir Isupov did neither have any that could explain the light phenomenon over Northern Norway.
On the morning of November 1, another strange light phenomenon was visible in the sky from large areas of the northern parts of Norway. This incident also caused commotion and many creative explanations to the light were given on different discussion boards. The light was caused by a launch of a Sineva missile from the nuclear submarine “Bryansk” in White Sea, as reported by BarentsObserver.
According to a warning about rocket launching in the White Sea, navigation is prohibited in the southern parts of the sea until December 15."

As far as the photos, the vapor trail from the rocket may have had a lens or diffuse effect on the light emanating from the rocket. Think of the diffuse effect that fog has on headlights. Still pretty cool, even if it is a rocket.

http://www.barentsobserver.com/fail...light-over-northern-norway.4663494-58932.html

"According to NRK, Arkhangelsk Radio sent out an advance warning about several missile launches from the White Sea in the period December 7-10.The warning included launches on the night to Wednesday. An anonymous source in the Northern Fleet told Norwegian news paper VG that they had no information about the incident. Press Attaché at Russia’s Embassy in Oslo Vladimir Isupov did neither have any that could explain the light phenomenon over Northern Norway.
On the morning of November 1, another strange light phenomenon was visible in the sky from large areas of the northern parts of Norway. This incident also caused commotion and many creative explanations to the light were given on different discussion boards. The light was caused by a launch of a Sineva missile from the nuclear submarine “Bryansk” in White Sea, as reported by BarentsObserver.
According to a warning about rocket launching in the White Sea, navigation is prohibited in the southern parts of the sea until December 15."

As far as the photos, the vapor trail from the rocket may have had a lens or diffuse effect on the light emanating from the rocket. Think of the diffuse effect that fog has on headlights. Still pretty cool, even if it is a rocket.

Yup, sounds pretty reasonable. That is one awe inspiring sight though. Still puzzled about the emanating green light that shot down from the centre of the spiral.

Yup, sounds pretty reasonable. That is one awe inspiring sight though. Still puzzled about the emanating green light that shot down from the centre of the spiral.

Nothing was "shooting down" from the center of the spiral. That was just an optical illusion of the trail of the rocket. There are PLENTY of genuinely strange things going on in our skies without getting misdirected and hung up by something like this, which while looking very cool, was absolutely manmade.

Nothing was "shooting down" from the center of the spiral. That was just an optical illusion of the trail of the rocket. There are PLENTY of genuinely strange things going on in our skies without getting misdirected and hung up by something like this, which while looking very cool, was absolutely manmade.

You must be thinking of someone else. What are we being misdirected from exactly? No hang ups either.

I get a great mental work out with these type of events, no matter the ultimate explanation whether manmade or unknown origin. In the end I will have new information to incorporate into this never ending thing called my "current understanding".

Hung up would imply that we are stuck on an explanation. Don't see any evidence of that here, just people working out a mysterious (to us) event.

Cheers.

This very specific video pretty much sums it up I guess:

That video really looks a lot like the video on this page of the incident in Norway.
I've never seen this effect before and I think it looks almost beautiful, rogue rocket or not.
I don't know which I'm more entertained by though, the spectacle in the sky or the funny sound of Norwegian! :D

That video really looks a lot like the video on this page of the incident in Norway.
I've never seen this effect before and I think it looks almost beautiful, rogue rocket or not.
I don't know which I'm more entertained by though, the spectacle in the sky or the funny sound of Norwegian! :D

Silly Norwegians :p

Yes, it would appear that this is exactly the same phenomenon. I still cannot believe that some of the photos were not doctored to augment the spiral and colour.

A very beautiful effect of an ugly part of our existence.

Back