• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Admitting to being wrong and its effects

Free episodes:

methshin

Japans Underground Robot Army
Just an opinion seeking thread here. If someone beleives a theory and/or story for a portion of their career, or has unintentionally given wrong information, due to poor memory or bad intel, but then comes around and admits that they were wrong about said issue, does it affect their credibility?

Example,

If Stanton Freidman were to come out and say that he was wrong about the MJ-12 documents, and washes his hands of his former belief, does it hurt his credibility?

Example 2

I was talking to my friend that was present at my most recent sighting, and when I was describing it to him, he said that he didn't remember me talking about the one part I said I saw (there was a cigar shaped beam of light that was travelling an about a 45º angle downwards, and then quickly going 45º upwards in the opposite direction, kinda like a V). He said that when I saw it that I didn't mention it travelling upwards, just downwards. Now it's either my memory that is shitty or his, I remember it fairly clearly considering the short duration that I saw it, but he was right there with me, but didn't see it (he was facing west, I was facing east).

Either way, regardless of whether this object went upwards or not, it was there, I was not halucinating, and I just wanted to get it out there that perhaps I might have provided you all with wrong information when I explained my past sightings.

methshin,

Example 1: It would enhance his reputation, because he would show his ability to rethink his opinions and theories based on new and/ or confounding evidence. That's just my opinion. His public image would probably be damaged because most people want others to do their thinking for them, and are disoriented and embarrassed when those they have chosen to do this pull the rug out from under them.

Example 2: UFO sightings are notorious for causing multiple witnesses to disagree with each other on details. Hell, normal life is too! I think the extraordinary nature of sightings plays tricks with our perception and memory, as well as those who hear the stories. You were probably so startled that you may have forgotten to mention what was later called a discrepancy by your friend. That. or he was too surprised to remember that you said it.

Admitting a wrong opinion is in very short supply, and that's too bad.

I feel the exact same way, I guess the thing that is troubling me is that now I don't know whether my mind is making things up or if my friend is just dumb.

Either way, something was there, whether or not it did change direction I guess is now up for debate.

I would have thought it would effect a persons credibility in a negative way at least for a while.

Then when the dust settles any reasonable, interested and informed person should be able to see that it takes a lot of guts to admit when you're wrong. To then have the strength of character to continue with efforts to understand any topic in light of previous mistakes surely is some indication of a persons integrity.

Mark

all depends on how you admit your were wrong. if we take your example of Stanton Friedman and Stanton were to say that after multiple colleagues had introduced new evidence or research on the existing papers that was irrefutable, and he had no choice but to agree with the evidence the documents are false, then, he is providing a logical reason to admit error and also proving he is a man who is open to being corrected.

if you are admitting error just to get someone off your back, there likely would be lots of negativity because everybody else will know you don't really believe what you said, so therefore, you become a liar.

better to admit being wrong than be a liar.

all depends on how you admit your were wrong. if we take your example of Stanton Friedman and Stanton were to say that after multiple colleagues had introduced new evidence or research on the existing papers that was irrefutable, and he had no choice but to agree with the evidence the documents are false, then, he is providing a logical reason to admit error and also proving he is a man who is open to being corrected.

if you are admitting error just to get someone off your back, there likely would be lots of negativity because everybody else will know you don't really believe what you said, so therefore, you become a liar.

better to admit being wrong than be a liar.

Good answer, thanks. I guess with my instance I can give only cite shape, and location in the sky and that it did move, but I cannot say with absolute certainty that it changed direction or didn't. They way I see it in my head is telling me the thing changed direction, but my friend seems fairly positive that when I saw it, I didn't mention it changing course. I'm trying to get him on the forums, so when he does, I'll get him to tell his side exactly as he remembers it.

ya, the problem with memory is that it is, well, memory. and memory is often subjective. I have an older sister who lived through some of the exact same situations as I did, and boy howdy, does she ever have a different recall of those events than I do.
it sometimes causes some fierce discussions...:eek:

I think we can all agree that deep down Stanton is aware of his errors, but like with most of those SETI folk, they won't budge an inch. From their perspective, their claims are their life's work. Stanton made a good portion of his career trumpeting MJ-12, just as with Shostak and the rest of bunch have made their life's work founded upon the notion that ET is out there, and has never been here. I don't think these people can psychologically handle it.

Would it tarnish his reputation? In the long run, I don't think so. As with any bruise it'll hurt at first, but with any luck you'll have a callus in it's place.

Methshin: if I had to put money on it I would say its your friend who is erring. In my experience most people are incredibly shitty listeners, and rarely take the time or interest to probe deeper into the matter by asking follow-up questions.

Obviously not all people are like that, and likely the people here arent either (assuming an interest in this subject is a sign of curiosity in general). Im also not trying to insult your friend, but IMO there is a higher probability that you mentioned it but he forgot, or didnt take it in and mentally file it properly.

(BTW where can I read about this sighting? Im curious about how the object changed direction... was it like a caterpillar? Or maybe like a bounce?)

Methshin: if I had to put money on it I would say its your friend who is erring. In my experience most people are incredibly shitty listeners, and rarely take the time or interest to probe deeper into the matter by asking follow-up questions.

Obviously not all people are like that, and likely the people here arent either (assuming an interest in this subject is a sign of curiosity in general). Im also not trying to insult your friend, but IMO there is a higher probability that you mentioned it but he forgot, or didnt take it in and mentally file it properly.

(BTW where can I read about this sighting? Im curious about how the object changed direction... was it like a caterpillar? Or maybe like a bounce?)

I posted a "my experiences" thread on here when I first joined, here's the link. http://forum.theparacast.com/your-personal-experiences-forum-f19/my-experiences-ufos-t4122/

The instance I am referring to is the last one I mention.

I just reread it and noticed that I didn't mention how it changed direction. From what I remember it was going downward and what would be considered the front of the craft acted like a pivot and then what was the rear of the ship was now the front, kinda like what a door looks like from above when it is swinging from one position to another. Make sense?

Back