• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Addiction= Ultimate Pleasure?

Brain Matter?

Skilled Investigator
Are people with a drug addiction the only ones that feel ultimate pleasure?

I’m addicted to lager and cigarettes and if I go without for a while that first beer or fag is heaven to me.
Having never been hooked on an A class drug I can only assume that the feeling your body has when it gets what it craves is a lot lot stronger!

That’s got to be a feeling/pleasure that most of us will never feel.

(I’m not bigging up drugs here, some of them obviously mess you up big time but without a serious addiction can you really know how good it must feel to stop that craving?)

As someone who is quitting smoking right now and has given up drinking for extended periods of time, I can say that the feeling you get when you indulge disappears after time.

Once you reach the point where you regret having the smoke or the beer, you realize that addiction is far from the ultimate pleasure. The ultimate pleasure is when your willpower overcomes this addiction.

As someone who is quitting smoking right now and has given up drinking for extended periods of time, I can say that the feeling you get when you indulge disappears after time.

Once you reach the point where you regret having the smoke or the beer, you realize that addiction is far from the ultimate pleasure. The ultimate pleasure is when your willpower overcomes this addiction.

Ok Methshin we all know drugs are bad and we shouldnt take them but what better pleasure is there than when your body craves somthing and then gets it?
What about someone dieing of thirst that gets a drink?

Ok Methshin we all know drugs are bad and we shouldnt take them but what better pleasure is there than when your body craves somthing and then gets it?
What about someone dieing of thirst that gets a drink?

Dieing of thirst and being addicted are two different things, hard comparison to make.

See, right now, I'm craving chicken wings, so tonight, I'm gonna go get chicken wings. However, I'm not addicted to chicken wings, if I was, then I'd feel awful that my body/mind succumbed to something that I know I can live without.

Take cigarettes for example, I used to smoke more than half a pack a day, but this week I've been having 3 a day, and been feeling like shit every time I have one. Not because they make me feel bad, but b/c I can't overcome my addiction right out.

Dieing of thirst and being addicted are two different things, hard comparison to make.

See, right now, I'm craving chicken wings, so tonight, I'm gonna go get chicken wings. However, I'm not addicted to chicken wings, if I was, then I'd feel awful that my body/mind succumbed to something that I know I can live without.

Take cigarettes for example, I used to smoke more than half a pack a day, but this week I've been having 3 a day, and been feeling like shit every time I have one. Not because they make me feel bad, but b/c I can't overcome my addiction right out.

Mate its good that your giving up smoking but saying that you crave ckicken wings is like the craving people get with heroine is just crazy talk.

To someone addicted to heroine, getting that hit must be like (as i said) a man dieing of thirst that gets water.

And that is something most of us will never know.

Interesting point BM,

I think the most difficult thing for anyone is to be able to manage whatever addiction
they might have. Meaning, treading the perilously narrow path between use and abuse. Like you I would have to say that I am addicted to Nicotine, it's not something I'm proud of but that's the way it is.

Sometimes I really feel like I ought to quit but life seems to have this horrible habit of making me reach for my tobacco whenever anything even vaguely stressful happens. I'm well aware that this is just a result of this foul habit and if I had enough presence of mind at times like this I should have a glass of water instead.
It's not those times that are the problem though, the simple fact is you and I and millions of other idiots do this out of habit and if we are really honest with ourselves
most of the time it's not even pleasurable.

Just say for instance you were the survivor of a shipwreck and you managed to make it to some desert island. Do you think you would feel such a need for stimulants in that scaenario? I tend to think not, survival would be your number one priority.
Sure you might have to put up with the craving for a while but you would I'm sure
quickly adapt and soon get over it. Trouble is this crap is always so readily available
guys like us dont give it a second thought so we just keep feeding the habit and continue to make excuses about why we have to have it, in short it fits our complacent life styles which is the REAL problem.

Strangely enough Ben you and I work every day with a guy who survived Heroin addiction. He told me that with the support of his then girlfriend he made it through the Hell of Cold Turkey. Sadly after all of that his girl left him which you would think could easily have sent him back to his old habit, fortunately though he discovered Transendental Meditation around that time and never looked back. So in answer to your question about where and how to seek that feeling of true peace/pleasure and contentment just ask a Yogi.

btw if you ever want help in finding a constructive replacement for the fags (That's cigarettes to our US friends) bring that Bass guitar I know you have stashed away to work someday and let good old dusty show you a better way to use your fingers.:)

Cough, splutter

Mark

Some people say that humans are addicted to different things, food, work, drugs, sex, etc. Maybe it's part of us and we deny it. But maybe not.

Mate its good that your giving up smoking but saying that you crave ckicken wings is like the craving people get with heroine is just crazy talk.

To someone addicted to heroine, getting that hit must be like (as i said) a man dieing of thirst that gets water.

And that is something most of us will never know.

I was actually disconnecting addiction with cravings in my post. Sorry if it came across as something different.

However, that first bite into that chicken wing was like heaven. Everyone else at the table got pasta, so obviously I had to call the wussies.

Back