• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

a thought about Lee Oswald

Here's an interesting and entertaining examination of the topic by actor Richard Belzer--it's really quite good:

UFOs, JFK, and Elvis: Conspiracies You Don't Have to Be Crazy to Believe

belzer.jpg

It is very possible that there is a conspiracy behind the killing and/or cover up of JFK. But, it's hard to take a guy seriously who is best known for being on a terrible and cheap rip off of Saturday Night Live, being an unfunny and terrible stand up comedian, and then allowing himself to get beat up by Hulk. Hogan.

Well if you can become a working character actor with 40 years of credits, let me know.

Nothing in what you see really refers to the quality of the book, which has nothing to do with his abilities as an actor or comedian.

As Ron Collins says, he is largely regurgitating common conspiracy theories presented by Jim Marrs and others, which is how he should be judged.

Well if you can become a working character actor with 40 years of credits, let me know.

Nothing in what you see really refers to the quality of the book, which has nothing to do with his abilities as an actor or comedian.

As Ron Collins says, he is largely regurgitating common conspiracy theories presented by Jim Marrs and others, which is how he should be judged.

I don't have to refer to the quality of the book. You already have by pointing out that that it was mostly material taken from Jim Marrs. Although he did host his own conspiracy show on the Sci/Fi channel where he had Jim Marrs on as a guest. I'm not an actor. But I do have over 20 years of real law enforcement to back up my claim that Richard Belzer could never have made it as a real police officer and is about as credible and believable as Doogie Howser was as a real doctor. Has he been successful for 40 years as an actor? I seriously doubt it. But you can have your hero worship. It's irrelevant to the point in any case. When he goes back to college and actually earns an education and then does his own hands on academic research and then has it peered reviewed, and published then I'll listen to him. Until then I'm not taking someones word simply because he is part of an ensemble cast on a TV series.

Your conclusions are nonsense.

Getting regular work as an actor for over 40 years is proof of success. He appeared in some 326 episodes of "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," one of the longest lasting shows ever. He was good enough to keep the gig.

You may not like his acting, and that's fine. But he has nothing to apologize for.

Being an actor who plays a particular role involving a specific profession or character doesn't make that actor capable of holding that position in real life. It doesn't make Melissa Benoist a super hero even though she can pretend to be on in "Supergirl."

Let's get real, shall we?

Nobody says you should take Belzer's books seriously because he's an actor. Would you have taken the book on crop circles, "Wild Things They Don't Tell Us," from the late rock singer Reg Presley seriously because he found fame and fortune singing "Wild Thing" as a member of the Troggs?

Sorry, man, it doesn't compute.

In saying that, I think Belzer would be a fun guest regardless of whether you can take his theories, borrowed or otherwise, seriously or not.

Your conclusions are nonsense.

Getting regular work as an actor for over 40 years is proof of success. He appeared in some 326 episodes of "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," one of the longest lasting shows ever. He was good enough to keep the gig.

You may not like his acting, and that's fine. But he has nothing to apologize for.

Being an actor who plays a particular role involving a specific profession or character doesn't make that actor capable of holding that position in real life. It doesn't make Melissa Benoist a super hero even though she can pretend to be on in "Supergirl."

Let's get real, shall we?

Nobody says you should take Belzer's books seriously because he's an actor. Would you have taken the book on crop circles, "Wild Things They Don't Tell Us," from the late rock singer Reg Presley seriously because he found fame and fortune singing "Wild Thing" as a member of the Troggs?

Sorry, man, it doesn't compute.

In saying that, I think Belzer would be a fun guest regardless of whether you can take his theories, borrowed or otherwise, seriously or not.

Well I'm glad that he has you as a press agent and front man. Who said I wanted him to apologize? How many episodes has Mariska Hargitay been in? The last thing you want to talk about is reality. There is no such thing as Supergirl. There are no such things as superheros. That is reality. And you are missing the whole point and trying to win an argument when there is no argument. You like Belzer and are upset he isn't being taken seriously. That is not going to change. 95% of the people out there don't take their life advice from actors. When Belzer does something that deserves to be taken seriously I will first be shocked, and then take him seriously. Until that day I will allow you the honor to hang out with him and joke and make merry while talking about the intricacies of the universe and all esoteric and forbidden knowledge, nobody would ever wish to deny you of that.

Pay attention, since you seem to have some severe reading problems.

You responded to a thread that's 10 years old.

Didn't you notice that?

Did you also notice that I only responded once before the last comment from Ron Collins, and that the comment mentioned Jim Marrs, and not Richard Belzer. I never said I liked or knew Belzer or agreed with his viewpoints.

I don't understand your obsession with him. Maybe there's a pill for that.

It is very possible that there is a conspiracy behind the killing and/or cover up of JFK. But, it's hard to take a guy seriously who is best known for being on a terrible and cheap rip off of Saturday Night Live, being an unfunny and terrible stand up comedian, and then allowing himself to get beat up by Hulk. Hogan.

Come on. He wasn't just on a terrible and cheap rip off of Saturday Night Live. He was a regular on Homicide: Life on the Street and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. I already like him.

CNN Reviews stated "Even if you are not a conspiracy theory enthusiast (I know I wasn't), it is hard not to get caught up in the depth of Belzer's research and insights on the JFK assassination and alien visitors." and "From the very beginning, Belzer makes his goal clear. He urges the reader to "seek out suppressed evidence ... interpret independently everything you hear, read, and even what you see ... question authority.""

That's how I see life already. I am going to have to buy this book.

I thought I was right in suggesting we try to get him on. Now that he has cut down/retired from the acting — and you can't imagine how much work it requires to be a regular on a TV series even if you're mot there star — we should look into this.

I thought I was right in suggesting we try to get him on. Now that he has cut down/retired from the acting — and you can't imagine how much work it requires to be a regular on a TV series even if you're mot there star — we should look into this.

I would love to see him on TheParacast. From his acting, he appears to be extremely intelligent. He would probably have some great insights.

Back