• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

A thirty two year old mystery

Wade

FeralNormal master
The Strange Disappearance of Granger Taylor | Mysterious Universe

Very interesting story of a boy prodigy who mysteriously disappeared in his later years at age 32. I had never heard of this story and had it been posted on april 1, I'd have passed it off as a april fools joke. And there is a ufo aspect to the story

From the anomalist

"... The saga of Granger Taylor sounds like something penned by a long-winded novelist who was paid by the word with extra bonuses for wild, outlandish scenarios, but it's all true and well-worth the read.

On November 29. 1980 Granger
Taylor told his parents goodbye, told them he was going to board a spaceship and would be back in 42 months, got into his truck and drove away. He was never seen
again.

From the comments section on the site an archived newspaper article claiming his remains were purportedly found.

The Montreal Gazette - Google News Archive Search

strange story. i connected with this because as a small child of about 6 years old i was told by a mysterious man in a train station that magnetics were the key to space travel... i have been fascinated by magnets ever since. I have lots of them. I buy them here: RATTLESNAKE MAGNETS HOMEPAGE

I'm not clear about something.
Was the guys truck found in exploded pieces or not?

Interesting article. On the truck:
  • "According to Time-Life books’ 1992, “Mysteries if the Unknown, Alien Encounters,” the remnants of Taylor’s truck ( described inaccurately as being “pink” ) were found on an unnamed mountain sometime in 1986."
  • " ... local newspapers reported that a logger on Mount Sicker spotted a crater in the ground and metal debris embedded in a tree. It is believed that Granger was carrying explosives in his truck at the time of his disappearance.”
  • "It seems unclear, at least without confirmation from the RCMP, if the vehicle debris allegedly found on Mount Slicker ( it it really was from an automobile ) has anything whatsoever to do with Taylor’s disappearance."
Given the above it doesn't seem like the debris that was found belonged to Talor's truck, and that no confirmed evidence has surfaced indicating his truck has been found. The question for me is whether or not he'll actually return as the article suggests, and what evidence ( if any ) he'll bring with him.

Check out the comments after the article. There is a link to a local newspaper story with more about the crater and the truck parts, and even (apparently) some bone fragments. Looks like a rather bizarre suicide, but who knows really?

Thanks for the fascinating story, one I had never heard. I may have missed something in the fine print. The investigation of remains was hopefully more thorough than stated in the article. I am wondering why such generic evidence would qualify to solve a missing person mystery. One would think a DNA analysis of the bone fragments would be indicated.

Thanks for the fascinating story, one I had never heard. I may have missed something in the fine print. The investigation of remains was hopefully more thorough than stated in the article. I am wondering why such generic evidence would qualify to solve a missing person mystery. One would think a DNA analysis of the bone fragments would be indicated.

I haven't had the time myself to look into it myself but that does beg the question doesn't it? In a way, as unlikely as it is you can't even rule out homicide I guess even though there is no real evidence to suggest that. For that matter there was no real suicide note either, so I'd think a more through investigation would be in order

This story reminds me of a human mutilation story story somewhere. A mans body was found near a pond in an area that had previously been searched, and they found one of his boots up in a tree.
Anyone have any recollection of that? Seems to me it was really famous in the Northeast.

This story reminds me of a human mutilation story story somewhere. A mans body was found near a pond in an area that had previously been searched, and they found one of his boots up in a tree. Anyone have any recollection of that? Seems to me it was really famous in the Northeast.

No recollection of that one, but I recall another story from way back when I was a kid that seems to have faded off into urban legend, but if anyone recognizes it, please let me know. It goes like this: A husband, wife and two kids had moved to a small rural Midwestern acreage. Everything seemed wonderful until one day they were allegedly visited by a strange men claiming to be aliens who said they were coming soon to take them to another planet and for them to prepare. The husband supposedly went into town and reported the strange occurrence to the police and asked for protection. Although the husband seemed sincere, it was deemed he was the victim of some kind of hoax and no effort was made to investigate. Some time went by and the police got a request to check on them from some out of town family members. When they got to the residence, their car was in the driveway, so they went to the door and knocked, but nobody answered. The door was unlocked so the officers went inside to investigate and found food in the oven and on the table, but everyone was gone, as if they had simply left in the middle of their meal and without any sign of struggle or robbery ... and outside on the back lawn was a large circular pattern of burnt grass. Apparently that was the last anyone ever saw of them.

This was the Butch Witkowski "investigated" case. It is complete BS. Witkowski faked being a cop (he is actually an ex-con) and pestered the crap outta the dead guys family.

This was the Butch Witkowski "investigated" case. It is complete BS. Witkowski faked being a cop (he is actually an ex-con) and pestered the crap outta the dead guys family.

Son.......of.....a......biotch!!!
So the whole story is just a scam by Butch? It's makes a good story though. But DANG it!

Well actually I guess I should be glad something like that didn't happen to the guy.

But still. Can't trust anything anymore. Thanks Ron. I'd rather know than not.

BTW, good to see you again Lance......haven't seen you post in a bit.

The Granger Taylor story is "mostly" true , but like all folk lore stories it has been sensationalized to sell more books and/or just for better reading I guess . There is a person still living in the area that was mentored by Granger and was almost inseparable from the man for several years . Why Grangers best and closest friend was never interviewed by any of the writers of Grangers story is beond me ?, but if you want the factual truth about Granger , I suggest finding this man and find out the real truth .

Back