• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

A Childhood Experience

Kat

Paranormal Novice
Thanks for having this forum! Here is the first paranormal experience I ever had.

UFO Sighting: This occurred somewhere between 1968 and 1969 around the time when I was 4 or 5 years of age. My family lived in Upstate New York at the time and we were on a visit to my Aunt’s house in Poughkeepsie</ST1:p. During the summer evenings my mom and aunt would often sit outside in lawn chairs and talk. One evening while I was sitting out there with them, my mom looked up and gasped and said “Oh my god, look at the UFO!” I looked up and saw a classic “flying saucer” UFO. Even though it was night-time, it was close enough for me to see that it was a clearly metallic, classic disk. It appeared to have a bit of a lip with a smaller circle underneath the craft. The circular edge of the craft had lights all around it. The craft almost gave off the illusion that it was spinning while it was propelling forward; although, that could have been a trick of the lights. We lived in a small neighborhood, and the craft glided silently just above the treetops that bordered the back yards. The sighting lasted about 30 seconds until it simply flew past us and out of sight. It maintained the same speed the whole time (I would say about 60-75mph). After it had gone, I remember running into the house and yelling to my siblings and cousins to come look. We all ran out and looked, but the craft was gone.
<O:p
This is one of the most vivid memories of my life. I can even see the house-dresses and sweaters that my mom and aunt were wearing. I can see my cousins and siblings spilling out of the front door in excitement and looking up. The memory has never changed throughout the years, and it certainly had all the elements of waking reality. Now for the weird part…
Although this has always been a vivid memory for me, I didn’t talk about it growing up. I don’t know why. I just assumed that it was part of all of our memories and basically “a given”. When I was in my early 30’s, I happened to off-handedly bring up the subject with my mom. I was stunned when she asked me what I was talking about. She had absolutely NO recollection of the event at all. I couldn’t believe it. This was the most vivid memory of my childhood, of which my mother had played a major role, and she couldn’t remember it at all. So I asked my brother and sister if they remembered the event. Nope. Back in 1996, I spoke to one of my cousins who was there that night, and she also had absolutely NO recollection of it. I was never able to ask my aunt, as she had passed away. So I am left not knowing what to think about this.
Just a little bit about me: I’m 45, happily married, and what I consider pretty well adjusted. I will say that I am of a creative bent, but I am adamantly convinced that I did not “create” that memory. Why I am the only one who remembers is a mystery to me. While I can understand that my cousins and siblings may not remember it (after all…they didn’t see the UFO). I am baffled why my mother who was so shocked at what she was seeing at the time did not remember it. Crazy.

Kat,

First off, welcome to the Paracast Forum I imagine you'll feel right at home here.

Now, If you don't mind my probing... I'm interested in knowing if you remember anything significant or strange concerning impulses or general feelings about that day?

I mean, prior to the sighting, of course.

thanks

p_d

Kat,

First off, welcome to the Paracast Forum I imagine you'll feel right at home here.

Now, If you don't mind my probing... I'm interested in knowing if you remember anything significant or strange concerning impulses or general feelings about that day?

I mean, prior to the sighting, of course.

thanks

p_d

Thank you very much for the welcome!

As to your question, I can remember nothing more about that day other than the UFO experience itself. There was also no missing time associated with this that I am aware of. While I was a pretty sensitive child and had a couple other paranormal experiences, to my recollection there was absolutely nothing abnormal or paranormal about this day that I can recall. Like I said, there was nothing "dreamlike" about the experience or my recollection of it. Indeed, growing up I was utterly convinced that what I had seen was completely real. It wasn't until I spoke to my mother and other relatives that I doubted what I had seen that day. Certainly, some folks have better memories than others, and I actually have a very good one, it just seems odd to me that anyone could ever forget that experience. The craft was so "there" and so "in your face" and so "solid" that I could simply never forget it.

Back