• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

30 years old now . . . interested since my childhood.

SPX

Paranormal Maven
I guess at 30 years old I'm no longer a "youth," but my understanding is that I am younger than most involved with this field and my interest in the subject goes back to my childhood.

My dad was always interested in the subject, though not exceptionally interested. He never read widely on the subject, but he was always up for conversation on the UFO mystery and would make it a point to watch shows on TV about the topic if he ran across them and also was a fan of sci-fi films growing up.

This interest was passed onto me and I guess I've taken it to the next level. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable on the subject as many people are, but I've done my fair share of exploration, whether it's reading books, listening to podcasts, or watching documentaries.

I was even a member of MUFON for a year and studied to become an investigator, before eventually being put off by the in-fighting within the organization. As I'm sure many know, there has been a major upheaval within MUFON, with several state directors getting fired, including the director for my own state, Utah. (This controversy, by the way, would make for an excellent Paracast episode.)

In regard to the question surrounding why young people are not interested in the UFO topic like they apparently were many decades ago, you know, I'm really not sure, but I think the fact that at that time the mystery was something that had only recently pushed its way into the public consciousness had a lot to do with it. Over time, answers weren't found, and interest faded.

As far as my own interest and direction goes, well, that's kind of up in the air. To be honest, I am discouraged by the fact that research doesn't really seem to be going anywhere, and I guess it's difficult to get motivated to do my own research when I know that many, many smarter people than myself have tried and failed. But my enthusiasm comes in waves and still spikes from time to time and, in those times at least, I really want to get involved and try to really do something.

I guess at 30 years old I'm no longer a "youth," but my understanding is that I am younger than most involved with this field and my interest in the subject goes back to my childhood.

My dad was always interested in the subject, though not exceptionally interested. He never read widely on the subject, but he was always up for conversation on the UFO mystery and would make it a point to watch shows on TV about the topic if he ran across them and also was a fan of sci-fi films growing up.

This interest was passed onto me and I guess I've taken it to the next level. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable on the subject as many people are, but I've done my fair share of exploration, whether it's reading books, listening to podcasts, or watching documentaries.

I was even a member of MUFON for a year and studied to become an investigator, before eventually being put off by the in-fighting within the organization. As I'm sure many know, there has been a major upheaval within MUFON, with several state directors getting fired, including the director for my own state, Utah. (This controversy, by the way, would make for an excellent Paracast episode.)

In regard to the question surrounding why young people are not interested in the UFO topic like they apparently were many decades ago, you know, I'm really not sure, but I think the fact that at that time the mystery was something that had only recently pushed its way into the public consciousness had a lot to do with it. Over time, answers weren't found, and interest faded.

As far as my own interest and direction goes, well, that's kind of up in the air. To be honest, I am discouraged by the fact that research doesn't really seem to be going anywhere, and I guess it's difficult to get motivated to do my own research when I know that many, many smarter people than myself have tried and failed. But my enthusiasm comes in waves and still spikes from time to time and, in those times at least, I really want to get involved and try to really do something.
When you see them out of your upstairs window for 2 years in a row, it is kind of hard not to take an interest!

I have a few years on ya kiddo....quite a few. And you're absolutely correct; we - the unwashed masses - know absolutely nothing more about UFOs than we did in the '50s. But isn't there a lot more reward in the learning than there is in the knowing?

And if you catch wind that The Paracast is really going to do a show on controversies within MUFON please give me a heads-up. I'll be skipping that episode.

When you see them out of your upstairs window for 2 years in a row, it is kind of hard not to take an interest!

I imagine that would be the case.

I assume you're talking about yourself. If so, have you captured video of this? And if not, why not?

I imagine that would be the case.

I assume you're talking about yourself. If so, have you captured video of this? And if not, why not?
I didn't anticipate seeing them out of the upstairs window. I did take some pictures last year. The only camera I had was a Sony Cybershot. It is not designed to take pictures at night. You can't adjust the shutter speed or manually adjust the focus. Some of the pictures have value. I recently purchased a video camera and hope to record them. It is not easy to record moving objects at night. Unless an object is very close, you need equipment designed to operate in low light. Everybody thinks it is so easy to take pictures or videos of UFOs. That is not the case. They are nocturnal, and rarely seen in daylight. I was talking about myself.

I have a few years on ya kiddo....quite a few. And you're absolutely correct; we - the unwashed masses - know absolutely nothing more about UFOs than we did in the '50s. But isn't there a lot more reward in the learning than there is in the knowing?

Yes, maybe. Though often times it can be hard to know where to start. I guess that's what attracted me to MUFON. I saw it as an organization that could give me leads on cases as well as the expertise necessary to properly research them. But as I mentioned, I'm not longer a member of the organization, and furthermore, while well-intentioned, I didn't really think that the training really prepared me for much. I guess what I would really like is to be taken under the wing of an experienced researcher who has a history of investigating and writing about UFO cases. (I mention writing because I have taken a few journalism classes and regularly write for a magazine. One day I'd like to transition into book writing.)

As it stands right now, though, I'm just not sure how to really go about it and without a reasonable hope of making some sort of breakthrough discovery that will really advance our knowledge of the subject the question of "Why?" kind of does arise.

And if you catch wind that The Paracast is really going to do a show on controversies within MUFON please give me a heads-up. I'll be skipping that episode.

I actually think it would be very interesting, especially since I was tangentially involved as a member. I had talked personally to the Utah state director many times and received a lot of the communications from the "Committee to Reform Mufon," as they were (or maybe still are?) calling themselves. At the very least I think some interesting questions were raised about why certain things within the organization are done the way that they are done. Having some of these disaffected members on the Paracast is a good idea, in my opinion, so that they can tell their side of the story.

I do notice that MUFON gets a lot of hate around here, and some of that is justified, but I also think that it's a good idea to have a structured organization so that enthusiasts and researchers can come together. My advice to those who feel that MUFON isn't doing it right is that they should start their own organizations that fix what they perceive to be MUFON's problems. I'd be interested in that.

I didn't anticipate seeing them out of the upstairs window. I did take some pictures last year. The only camera I had was a Sony Cybershot. It is not designed to take pictures at night. You can't adjust the shutter speed or manually adjust the focus. Some of the pictures have value. I recently purchased a video camera and hope to record them. It is not easy to record moving objects at night. Unless an object is very close, you need equipment designed to operate in low light. Everybody thinks it is so easy to take pictures or videos of UFOs. That is not the case. They are nocturnal, and rarely seen in daylight. I was talking about myself.

So just out of curiosity, what exactly is it that you've been seeing? Can you describe it? And this has been recurring over 2 years?

So just out of curiosity, what exactly is it that you've been seeing? Can you describe it? And this has been recurring over 2 years?
I have observed UFOs off and on in Montana since 1976. The type of objects I have observed recently are a spherical shape. Sometimes they are very bright, other times they are dim. The color varies between, orange, yellow, and white. Actually, I am a lunatic. I made up all of this so I can get a thrill on the Internet!:D

I have observed UFOs off and on in Montana since 1976. The type of objects I have observed recently are a spherical shape. Sometimes they are very bright, other times they are dim. The color varies between, orange, yellow, and white. Actually, I am a lunatic. I made up all of this so I can get a thrill on the Internet!:D
I shouldn't be sarcastic. It's strange. Never before have I seen them here in April or May. Trying to describe what I have experienced is like trying to describe the color red to a person who is color blind. It definitely has the effect of altering my perception of reality. Thank you for asking SPX.

I shouldn't be sarcastic. It's strange. Never before have I seen them here in April or May. Trying to describe what I have experienced is like trying to describe the color red to a person who is color blind. It definitely has the effect of altering my perception of reality. Thank you for asking SPX.

I appreciate you sharing. I guess I would have to see this sight to really have a clear idea of what you're talking about. I unfortunately have never had any kind of UFO encounter. Maybe one day, though. . .

I appreciate you sharing. I guess I would have to see this sight to really have a clear idea of what you're talking about. I unfortunately have never had any kind of UFO encounter. Maybe one day, though. . .
There is nothing special about me. As fate would have it my great grandparents homesteaded land in Montana. The property is bordered by wilderness. I was living in Silicon Valley, and visited my grandmother in 1976. I drove up the canyon, was enjoying the scenery, and observed a white glowing sphere rise above the ridge. It silently traveled the length of the ridge and descended below the mountain. I immediately realized it was not man made. I started watching the sky. I returned to Montana in July 1977. I had purchased a helium neon laser and signaled the UFOs. I am not going to go into all the details. I investigated UFOs outside in the field until around 1986. I couldn't take it to another level, and pursued other things. Eventually I moved to Montana permanently. I moved 25 miles east of where my first sightings occurred. I didn't see any here until 2 years ago. I bought another laser, and started signalling them again. I am sucked into it again!

I didn't see any here until 2 years ago. I bought another laser, and started signalling them again. I am sucked into it again!

Interesting story. I certainly have never encountered anything like that.

Are you 100% convinced that they are craft being guided by something and not natural phenomena? How successful have your attempts been to signal to them?

Yes I am 100% certain they are not natural phenomena. Why on earth would I want to signal natural phenomena? They instantly reacted to the laser back in 1977. They would hover, change course, and sometimes travel directly over my position. The last 2 years they have been flaring up super bright when I signal them. That has me perplexed. They never flared up like that back in the 70s or 80s. It appears to me as though they are signaling back. They are definitely under intelligent control. That is all I feel like explaining for now. I need to eat dinner.

Yes I am 100% certain they are not natural phenomena. Why on earth would I want to signal natural phenomena?

LOL, good point. Though it could be because you only think they MAY be alien craft, but aren't sure.

They instantly reacted to the laser back in 1977. They would hover, change course, and sometimes travel directly over my position. The last 2 years they have been flaring up super bright when I signal them. That has me perplexed. They never flared up like that back in the 70s or 80s. It appears to me as though they are signaling back. They are definitely under intelligent control.

That's pretty interesting. I certainly have not experienced anything like that. I'm sure if I did I'd get pretty obsessed, at least for a little while.

That is all I feel like explaining for now. I need to eat dinner.

Me too. I just boarded a train to start off what's going to be about a 3 hour journey and I have an appointment with a flat iron steak in the dining car in about 15 minutes.

LOL, good point. Though it could be because you only think they MAY be alien craft, but aren't sure.

That's pretty interesting. I certainly have not experienced anything like that. I'm sure if I did I'd get pretty obsessed, at least for a little while.

Me too. I just boarded a train to start off what's going to be about a 3 hour journey and I have an appointment with a flat iron steak in the dining car in about 15 minutes.
111291.jpg

Hmm, it was something like that, though not as spacious. First time experience for me, though. And since I hadn't eaten since this morning it was just about one of the best steaks I've ever had.

Correct. Working with UFO research...note the word "research" which I suggest young people learn to understand...means working with mystery and lack of certitude. Jack rabbit attention spans do not correlate with the rigors of research and the lack of certitude loses the interest of those who are sure where Billy and Janie are via Twitter.

As far as my own interest and direction goes, well, that's kind of up in the air. To be honest, I am discouraged by the fact that research doesn't really seem to be going anywhere...

{sigh}

...and I guess it's difficult to get motivated to do my own research when I know that many, many smarter people than myself have tried and failed. But my enthusiasm comes in waves and still spikes from time to time and, in those times at least, I really want to get involved and try to really do something.

Good researchers have streamlined, tightly determined, goals. I understand this is contrary to the shotgun approach which is far more exciting and far less valuable. IOW, " I really want to get involved and try to really do something" isn't exactly a research quality approach.

Yes I am 100% certain they are not natural phenomena. Why on earth would I want to signal natural phenomena? They instantly reacted to the laser back in 1977. They would hover, change course, and sometimes travel directly over my position. The last 2 years they have been flaring up super bright when I signal them. That has me perplexed. They never flared up like that back in the 70s or 80s. It appears to me as though they are signaling back. They are definitely under intelligent control. That is all I feel like explaining for now. I need to eat dinner.

Damn you had me going there until you "had to eat dinner".

Back