• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

2nd test affirms faster-than-light particles

Einstein died in 1955 and based his entire model on the fasting thing available at that time:the photon (light)... Energy = Mass X Speed of light squared (E=MC2) and from this was able to explain the transformation of energy into matter. Thus the creation of our universe and its physical limits.

On July 20th, 1956, Harrison, Kruse and McGuire discover the Neutrino... In 2011 we discover that it is faster than light by .000006 seconds lol

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/nov/18/neutrinos-still-faster-than-light?newsfeed=true
The physicist and TV presenter Professor Jim Al-Khalili of the University of Surrey expressed the incredulity of many in the field when he said that if the findings "prove to be correct and neutrinos have broken the speed of light, I will eat my boxer shorts on live TV".

All my life I've been waiting to see this !!! LMAO

Joking aside, is this simply a replacement ? What are the impacts of replacing the photon by a neutrino as fastest particle ? (E=MX2) ?

Well, the speed of light is one of the most tested of all physics laws and has never been overturned. Until perhaps now. This makes me wonder about the hardcore hubris that science seems to portray. It's such an arrogant notion to convey the idea that science has a monopoly on how everything works. It kind of reminds me of the story of the Patent office closing because everything that could be invented had already been invented.

Perhaps we are on the cusp of a new paradigm that will enable us to grow into another type of Kaku civilization. Looking back 100 years from now will we look like Clovis people in comparison?? Interesting stuff.

History tells us that science is full of paradigm shifts but with religion such is not the case. @TCLaeys what else could replace the monoply that the scientific method has? Sure I agree that ego and tradition plaque these disiplines as well.

History tells us that science is full of paradigm shifts but with religion such is not the case. @TCLaeys what else could replace the monoply that the scientific method has? Sure I agree that ego and tradition plaque these disiplines as well.
Don't get me wrong, the scientific method is the best tool we have available and it has helped make monumental advances in our knowledge. It's the humans that screw it up or become so adherent to any popular paradigm that it becomes blasphemy to even allow themselves to think outside it.

Einstein's work would not necessarily be negated but rather incorporated into a larger description of how the universe functions. Just as Einstein's work did with Newton's. It's intrinsic to the scientific process.

I'm quite excited by this finding. I was a bit doubtful of the first experiment's results. But I've never felt that light speed was the uppermost limit.

I wonder if there will be any practical applications for this anytime soon...perhaps quantum computing advances?

Back