• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

2012 = Mayan Calendar + biblical armageddon

After the millennial Y2K scare, now we have the 2012 Mayan apocalypse. I'm eagerly waiting for the end of 2012 just to see what the next eschatological trend will be. The Celtic omen? The Zimbabwean tribal prophecy? The Portuguese fado armageddon (the IMF is here now, so nothing good can come of it)? I love Human imagination!

P.S. - To spice things up just add a Nostradamus quatrain and the prophecy will have enough commercial validity to be sold in books and History channel specials. :)

Mostly amusing, heres my two cents. The 2012 short movie featured by woody allen in 2012 the film. disinformation through mass media?

for example if no one wrote the bible , Jews and Palestians wouldn't be fighting over land "

I've wondered about that before. If Mohammed had of been killed or just never came around would we still have something similar to Islam? Google King David and Jonathan in the Old
Testamemt and read how "close" they were and think what the Judea/Christian view of homosexuality might be if you read it just the way the story is told. No, I'm not saying they were gay because I honestly don't know. But, it's an interesting relationship. If Joeshph Smith isn't there to "find" the tablets of gold would we have Mormonism. Would President Kennedy have been killed if Oswald were not born? Would the Nazis have taken over Germany if Hitler had of been knocked off?

Sorry, not trying to hijac the thread...it just got me to thinking about stuff. :)

I've wondered about that before. If Mohammed had of been killed or just never came around would we still have something similar to Islam? Google King David and Jonathan in the Old
Testamemt and read how "close" they were and think what the Judea/Christian view of homosexuality might be if you read it just the way the story is told. No, I'm not saying they were gay because I honestly don't know. But, it's an interesting relationship. If Joeshph Smith isn't there to "find" the tablets of gold would we have Mormonism. Would President Kennedy have been killed if Oswald were not born? Would the Nazis have taken over Germany if Hitler had of been knocked off?

Sorry, not trying to hijac the thread...it just got me to thinking about stuff. :)

I like your thinking , i got thinking last night what if Alexander the Great died of STD from all his "Extra cirricular activities" with all them Persian Shemale's( maybe hollywood fiction) he had a taste for , not that i have anything against that sort of thing , but the ancients didn't really have a knowledge of Safe sex.
Maybe if he kept his Kimodo dragon in the cage we would all be living in a golden age where countries have no borders.

I must admit i dont subscribe to any prophetic relevance to the end of any calendar.
Calendars end, my last one ended on jan 31st this year....the world didnt
I once had a diary planner in the 80's with a 5 year calendar at the back.... the world didnt end when it did.
Why does the Mayan calendar end in 2012 ? they ran out of space on the stone to carve in 2013........

Every calendar ever made had a start and an end date..... why is this one special ?

I must admit i dont subscribe to any prophetic relevance to the end of any calendar.
Calendars end, my last one ended on jan 31st this year....the world didnt
I once had a diary planner in the 80's with a 5 year calendar at the back.... the world didnt end when it did.
Why does the Mayan calendar end in 2012 ? they ran out of space on the stone to carve in 2013........

Every calendar ever made had a start and an end date..... why is this one special ?

Most likely because of the mayans mysterious disappearance as an entire civilization. heres an example, http://mayanarchaeology.tripod.com/id2.html

"All of the Mayans did not disappear; although millions did vanish, all at once, about 1,200 years ago, in the ninth century AD. "

I'm not sure its a "mystery" though

What happened to the Mayans? The answer seems to be that a prolonged drought resulted in no drinking water, nor water for plants and animals. Millions of them died of thirst and hunger. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Their majestic culture, along with the building of further great pyramids stopped.[/QUOTE]

What happened to the Mayans? The answer seems to be that a prolonged drought resulted in no drinking water, nor water for plants and animals. Millions of them died of thirst and hunger. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Their majestic culture, along with the building of further great pyramids stopped.[/QUOTE]

I Thought the europeans came and gave them small pox and wiped them out along with most of the aztecs and other south/central/north american natives

I Thought the europeans came and gave them small pox and wiped them out along with most of the aztecs and other south/central/north american natives

According to the link provided by HotSoup
The Spanish explorers and colonists did not cause the destruction of the Mayan kingdom. It had virtually collapsed some 600 years before <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:City w:st=
Columbus </ST1:p</st1:City>arrived. There was still a remnant of the Mayans. With this remnant, the Spanish dealt harshly.

Although disease must have been an influence as it was with the roman culture falling, there where a lot more, in the millions missing at one point, maybe they all fell into a sink hole, or where all welcomed by aliens... where do so many people just go, its a wonder in and of itself physically, having to travel such a long distance to maybe colonize a bit of another country, or land, it would have been recorded somewhere, so the mystery thickens.

There's a suggestion that the Mayans might simply have gone their separate ways and abandoned their cities due to a crisis of faith in their leaders and in deities which failed to provide during a few bad seasons. It may have been an inbuilt weakpoint in their culture.

There are many links and sources that describe the civilizations and the hardships they have had to endure, this particular society stands out because those millions are unaccounted for, in a sudden expanse of time. Like the entire Los Angeles populace getting up and leaving.

There are many links and sources that describe the civilizations and the hardships they have had to endure, this particular society stands out because those millions are unaccounted for, in a sudden expanse of time. Like the entire Los Angeles populace getting up and leaving.
according to the link you provided they are accounted for

More recent investigations into the mass disappearance in the 9th century presents fairly conclusive data that this is what happened to millions of Mayans: In the Tikal area of Guatemala, there are relatively no rivers or lakes. Careful examination of this city shows that the area surrounding the temples and the plaza is slopped, sending the rain "run off" into deep reservoirs, one of which is about 125 feet deep. First, meteorologically, it has been determined that when the northern Atlantic area turns extremely cold, that the normal tropical rain band of Central America is pushed further south, into the northern part of South America. Secondly, scientific investigations of the ice in the far north, using ice
"coring" techniques have shown that the deep core corresponding to the 9th century A.D. shows an extremely low ammonia content, which indicates a time of extreme cold in the north Atlantic. Thirdly, three geologists taking "core" samples from a lake bottom in the Yucatan area of Mexico, found a white colored band which indicated a time of extremely low moisture.
Fortunately, within the white band, a seed was found. This seed was sent to be "dated". Its date showed it was 1,200 years old; the 9th century AD; the exact time when millions of Mayans disappeared, and their construction stopped. What happened to the Mayans? The answer seems to be that a prolonged draught resulted in no drinking water, nor water for plants and animals. Millions of them died of thirst and hunger.
Their majestic culture, along with the building of further great pyramids stopped. The Spanish explorers and colonists did not cause the destruction of the Mayan kingdom.
http://mayanarchaeology.tripod.com/id2.html

Wow you are kind of diligent at mis information, thats just one link, probably from someone who didnt research all of the information available in history. try reading a book.

Back