• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

161 Page Report On UFO Video From Homeland Security (DHS)

Skymon876

Paranormal Adept
A group of UFO researchers with backgrounds in science have come together to analyze an alleged UFO video they have confirmed comes from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The object in the video was captured by a thermal imaging camera on a DHS aircraft, and according to the researchers, it exhibits characteristics that cannot be explained by any known aircraft or natural phenomenon.

The video is overlaid with the sort of telemetry one would expect from a military or law enforcement thermal image video. It shows an object apparently moving very quickly over land and then into the ocean. It seems to be tumbling or changing shape. It moves over buildings, through trees, and eventually over the ocean. Then things get weird. The object appears to go in and out of the ocean without slowing down, and at the end of the video is either joined by another object or breaks in two.

All of the primary witnesses have requested anonymity. However, several communications from alleged DHS employees indicate that the video caused quite a stir on the base.

This is a link to Alejandro Rojas's article but for some reason it says redirected
You are being redirected...
^^^The link works fine

Research on the video began when an acquaintance to the pilot of the aircraft that captured the video contacted Daina Chaviano, a famous Cuban-born fantasy and science fiction author. She is also a volunteer with the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) in Florida, where in her spare time she investigates UFO reports. She took the UFO case to her colleague, Morgan Beall, who runs the Florida MUFON chapter.

Chaviano and Beall were so impressed by what they saw they assembled a small group of skeptical researchers with backgrounds in various fields of science and technology. The pilot’s acquaintance requested strict control of the information provided and that knowledge of the investigation be limited to a very few people, so until now, the researchers have not shared any information regarding their investigation.

Today, the group released a 161-page report detailing their findings.

Robert Powell
Morgan Beall
and
Rich Hoffman

all experienced with Mufon.

The video is a few years old, but the study of it was just released. The film is genuine, whatever it depicts, and the Scientific Coalition for Ufology has put a lot of work into evaluating it.

Several things make the analysis of this video complicated. First, it's shot in infrared, so it takes some study to realize just what you're looking at and to understand the limitations of the camera. Along with that, we've got two motions to deal with, that of the object, but also the flight of the plane circling it. The report by the SCU reaches a number of conclusions that are being challenged, and it'll be interesting to see if they stand up.

The SCU's investigation of this case is in itself interesting and they've set some ambitious goals. It's worth a look.

So many questions... especially given the history of this video as posted years ago, along with its melancholic music, and claims of surreptitious recording on a laptop, eliminating voices of who is talking as if the original recorders would not already be a known pool of a handful of possible people.
  • Is the fuzzy collection of pixels showing anything definitive?
  • Is it evident of anything without the backstory?
  • Can the fuzzy collection of pixels be generated independently with home video software?
  • Are the edits/camera frame changes in the closing sequence of the video indicative of editing?
  • Does the original history of the video matter at all it terms of its first appearance on YouTube?
  • Why does the SCU focus only on this single case as opposed to a broad series of findings?
  • Edit: two more quests: where are the other international members of this cabal and where are their other peer reviewed presentations?
  • Why, with all the wonderful science that is being proposed in this analysis a la Roger Leir, has the infrared video not had a video filter applied to it to invert the video to see it and the background better or did I miss that part?

Last edited:
... Along with that, we've got two motions to deal with, that of the object, but also the flight of the plane circling it ...
A key observation that parallax is a factor. It's not mentioned anywhere in the 116 pages of the more sciencey than scientific report. It makes the object appear to be moving faster than it is, which means that it actually might be a bird, and birds are known to dive into the water to catch prey, so the rapid movement could just be an optical illusion, that is, if ( IF ) it's genuine in the first place, which we don't know and will maybe never know.

Last edited:
A key observation that parallax is a factor. It's not mentioned anywhere in the 116 pages of the more sciencey than scientific report. It makes the object appear to be moving faster than it is, which means that it actually might be a bird, and birds are known to dive into the water to catch prey, so the rapid movement could just be an optical illusion, that is, if ( IF ) it's genuine in the first place, which we don't know and will maybe never know.
It gets worse! I just found out that there is yet another movement in the film, the pivot and rotation of the plane's camera, a L-3 Wescam model MX-15D. This video provides a good demonstration of that motion, but is intended as a sales demo for its capabilities, including a look at its infrared filming.

"The DHC-8 took off on a routine flight and soon after takeoff they noticed a pinkish to reddish light over the ocean that was in their vicinity and approaching toward the south." Referring to the object seen on DHS aircraft equipped with Wescam infrared cam.

Source: You are being redirected...

This pretty much rules out a bird. I don't know any bird that emits , "pinkish to reddish light" Furthermore, it looks nothing like a bird. I'm pretty sure we would could discern a bird flapping it's wings even with a parallax effect from this video.

To me, it looks oval in shape, and rotating with no wings. That's just my observation. Also, if you watch 2/3 of the video it looks like it splits into 2 objects, and or, meets another similar object under water with little change of speed (Start from 2:25 of the video)

Not so easily explained if video is legit. I could do similar effects in After Effects, so it's not impossible by any means, but this one does not ring fake to me.

"The DHC-8 took off on a routine flight and soon after takeoff they noticed a pinkish to reddish light over the ocean that was in their vicinity and approaching toward the south." Referring to the object seen on DHS aircraft equipped with Wescam infrared cam.

Source: You are being redirected...

This pretty much rules out a bird. I don't know any bird that emits , "pinkish to reddish light" Furthermore, it looks nothing like a bird. I'm pretty sure we would could discern a bird flapping it's wings even with a parallax effect from this video.

To me, it looks oval in shape, and rotating with no wings. That's just my observation. Also, if you watch 2/3 of the video it looks like it splits into 2 objects, and or, meets another similar object under water with little change of speed (Start from 2:25 of the video)

Not so easily explained if video is legit. I could do similar effects in After Effects, so it's not impossible by any means, but this one does not ring fake to me.
Pretty much any YouTube video purporting to show a UAP immediately pings my skeptometer. A so-called UAP could be almost anything, because UFOs and UAPs are two distinct classes of objects. At one point they conflate UAPs and UFOs, which only goes to show that they don't really understand either concept clearly.

The video was also obtained under questionable circumstances ( allegedly leaked ), and there just isn't enough verifiable info about it. I don't even see where the DHS has admitted that it was theirs to begin with, and if you check out the promo for the camera, it seems to also have HD low-light color video capability. Where's that video? A glowing pink light would certainly put the bird theory to rest. This also wouldn't be the first time an IR film of alleged UAPs ( or whatever ) has been shown to be something mundane and hyped ( e.g. the Campche Air Force IR Video ).

All that being said, while I wouldn't put my money on it as genuine, I'm not 100% sure it's fake either. I believe alien visitation is a reality. I just don't know which individual claims ( except my own ) reflect that with 100% accuracy, and the only reason I accept my own is based on my experience, not any residual independent objective evidence. The best thing about these videos is that they get us talking and taking a closer look at them and the phenomenon. It's our chance as believers to show that we're also skeptical and don't just jump to the stereotypical "OMG aliens" reaction the skeptics like to portray us as having for every claim made out there.

Last edited:
Fair and legitimate points Ufology.

it seems to also have HD low-light color video capability. Where's that video?

I don't think the operator of the camera turned it on. If he did, it would have added more credibility to the claim of the reddish-pinkish light it was emitting. It doesn't kill the video either though.

So many questions... especially given the history of this video as posted years ago, along with its melancholic music, and claims of surreptitious recording on a laptop, eliminating voices of who is talking as if the original recorders would not already be a known pool of a handful of possible people.
  • Is the fuzzy collection of pixels showing anything definitive?
  • Is it evident of anything without the backstory?
  • Can the fuzzy collection of pixels be generated independently with home video software?
  • Are the edits/camera frame changes in the closing sequence of the video indicative of editing?
  • Does the original history of the video matter at all it terms of its first appearance on YouTube?
  • Why does the SCU focus only on this single case as opposed to a broad series of findings?
  • Edit: two more quests: where are the other international members of this cabal and where are their other peer reviewed presentations?
  • Why, with all the wonderful science that is being proposed in this analysis a la Roger Leir, has the infrared video not had a video filter applied to it to invert the video to see it and the background better or did I miss that part?
Some of your questions are answered at the SCU's website, on the FAQ page and on the home page.

Anyone here who has a contact at SCU might pop him or her an email suggesting that they enlarge the type on those two pages and widen the margins on the FAQ page. There is significant information there that is almost unreadable. I was going to copy and paste that page here for easier reading, but it can't be copied.

According to Rojas, "Powell says they have reached out to other scientific organizations that have shown an interest in the UFO phenomenon, including 3AF Sigma2, a group that is part of the French National Aeronautical and Astronautical Association. The French scientists have agreed to review their work and provide input."

I think it's likely that the French group is associated with France's parallel to NARCAP, so you might post a note to your hero Vallee and ask him what his response to the case is. The case is also most probably being evaluated by members of NARCAP in the US.

Last edited:
I've found that I can now c&p the information provided in answers to questions on the SCU's FAQ page:

"As questions come in pretaining to our studies we will post the relevant questions and answers here. Have a questions? Go to our contact page and submit your question to our contributors.

Frequently Asked Questions Extended

What is this object?
We do not know what this object is. After countless hours of scrutiny and study, we are puzzled because we cannot apply anything conventional (natural or manmade) that seems to provide us an answer, thus it is unidentified. We are looking for other scientists and parties to come forward to assist or otherwise provide helpful commentary.

Why does the report state a different date than what is shown on the video clip?
Aviation times reflect Zulu time which corresponds to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). The video displays the Zulu time April 26th at 1:22 AM at the top left of the initial frames. Converting this Zulu time to Puerto Rico’s local time gives April 25th at 9:22 PM. Puerto Rico uses Atlantic Standard Time and does not use daylight savings time. The local time was also verified by the radar information timeline.

What is the aircraft used to capture this video clip?
It is a De Havilland Canada – 8 (DHC-8). A twin engine, medium range, turbo prop airliner in use by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency which is under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. During our investigation, we confirmed this information with our witness and the speed of the aircraft matched that of a DHC-8. Many websites related to this event, incorrectly state it was a Blackhawk helicopter or another type of helicopter. It was not a helicopter at all.

Why do you refer to this object as UAP versus a UFO?
Terms like Unidentified Flying Objects and Unidentified Submerged Objects do not apply to an object like this that does both. The UFO term also is often seen as being synonymous with alien spacecraft. We do not know what this object is other than to describe it as an anomalous phenomenon; this object remains unidentified after significant scientific scrutiny.

The object appears to be tumbling, is it?
Appearances can be deceiving, especially in the Infrared world. Infrared images do not record visible light. They render objects emissions of temperature in shades ranging from black to white. Infrared cameras can either use black as being “hot” or black as being “cold”. In this video, the black is assigned as “hot”. The lighter the color is, the cooler the temperature. We do not know if the tumbling appearance is caused by a change in the angular position of the object or by changes in temperature of the object or an actual tumbling.

Was the object seen by others? At one point, the object is seen going in front of cars.
The control tower personnel observed an object as did the pilot. The object was seen as emitting a pink/red light only later to not be able to see it and believed it had turned its light off. No other reports were made to our knowledge. If others did see this, we would like them to contact us. Keep in mind that the object was moving at night with no lights and infrared is not visible to humans. The population in that section around Aguadilla is relatively small. The object’s velocity was approximately 90 mph, effectively invisible and unlikely to attract any attention.

Why is our witness anonymous?
The witness still works for the government and does not want undue attention placed on himself. This is a common aspect of many UFO witnesses who are in sensitive positions and do not want their careers impacted by the attention usually received.

Is this a FLIR video?
Forward Looking Infra Red (FLIR) is a company. We contacted FLIR with images of the camera and they clarified to us that it was not theirs and believed it to be an L-3 Wescam model. We contacted L-3 who confirmed to us that it is their product. It is an MX-15D. This was later independently varified by the auxilary anonymous witness referenced in the report.

Has there been any further videos or sightings of these objects?
There are a number of reports around Puerto Rico and they continue to come in. UFOs and USOs are the common terms for objects seen in the area. We have not identified other sightings that have been investigated and verified where an object is seen in the sky and then enters the water in a similar fashion. If there are any, we hope witnesses will report them to us.

Why have you taken so long to come out with this report?
This team first obtained a copy of the video in November 2013. We wanted to gather as much data as possible and analyze it carefully before releasing this 160+ page report to the media. This team, with varied science backgrounds from different parts of the country, has invested over 1000 man hours in researching and analyzing this video and the events surrounding it. Thoroughness was chosen over expediency since UFOs is a topic that is often overly dramatized by the media.

What are the backgrounds of the team members?
Physics, chemistry, mathematics, and environmental science are some of the key scientific backgrounds of the authors with work experiences in aerospace, defense contracting, and semiconductor technology. Detailed information is available in Appendix A on page 50-51 of the report.

Why have you not verified this incident with the tower logs from the airport?
The tower logs are under the jurisdiction of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). We sent a request for the tower logs and normally the FAA must reply to Freedom of Information Requests (FOIA). However, the FAA has begun to farm out their work to private companies that are not required to answer FOIA requests from the public. In this case the FAA informed us that the information and tower logs were controlled by a company called Robinson Aviation, Inc. RVA Robinson Aviation - Home. As yet, we have received no replies to our information requests sent to Robinson Aviation.

Were you able to interview the tower personnel who saw this object?
No. The airport manager was contacted and indicated that there was an unknown object seen by the tower but he did not want to be part of an investigation.

Did you ask the USAF for military radar information?
The USAF provided FAA radar information through a FOIA request but were unwilling to supply us any military radar data on the incident. There is believed to be a military radar at the west end of the airport runway but it is not known if it is active. The 141st Air Control Squadron stationed at the airport is also a mobile radar command unit of the USAF.

Did you ask the USAF for help in identifying the unknown object traveling through U.S. airspace?
No. The USAF states that they stopped investigating UFOs in 1970. Of course, any object is an unknown until it is identified including enemy ICBMs, drones, etc. How the USAF differentiates and decides "which" unknown to care about is a mystery. {;}

You talked about the video and the radar information from the Pico Del Este site; was there radar information from the Customs & Border Protection (CBP) aircraft that took the video?
No, the CBP aircraft is used primarily to monitor boat trafficking and its on-board radar is a maritime radar designed to detect ships on the water and is a downward looking radar. This is referenced on page 8 of the report.

What is the difference between primary and secondary radar?
Primary radar uses an actual radar beam that is sent out every few seconds and the radar picks up the beam as it bounces off objects. Secondary radar is more similar to radio and consists of a transponder that sends a signal from a plane indicating the plane's location, altitude, and identity.

What is the history of the Rafael Hernandez Airport in Puerto Rico?
This airport was originally a USAF Strategic Air Command base and was known as Ramey Air Force Base. It was a critical U.S. base during the Cuban Missile Crisis. It is now used primarily as a small commercial airport with a few destinations on the U.S. east coast. There is still a military portion to the airport that consists of a Coast Guard facility, the Puerto Rico Air National Guard, and the 141st Air Control Squadron that is a mobile radar command, control and communications element of the USAF.

How long is the video?
The video consists of 3 minutes and 54 seconds of video imagery of which 2 minutes and 56 seconds displays the object arriving from over the ocean, traversing land, and then disappearing back into the ocean.

scuonline

Last edited:
I read through their FAQ already which is why these are still all unanswered questions for me. I'm not seeing a response from serious and more informed names which tells me it was rejected outright long ago. It's original presentation and anonymous commentary with its mournful, mystical music track categorizes it already as mundane mole hill being made into a mountain. Talk of who might review it or who might care in the future is entirely meaningless.

Does the video have any value without the back story and its supposed anonymous confirmation of the pink light etc.? Not really imho. It's a weak case that is having a lot of interpretation thrown at it. Like the Cortile case, the Turkish aliens, Roger Leir's work or other anonymous submitted video i.e. the Guardian case, there's no where to go that is confirming of much of anything beyond the fuzzy pixels and any further deconstruction of this video construction. It remains, as their FAQ says, unidentified, just a clutch of unidentified fuzzy pixels, submitted anonymously, no names, no real proofs of much, no real radar recording in anyone's possession, no incredible speed defying maneuvers, just a lot of claims being described by fuzzy pixels. What is the value here beyond possibilities and guesses?

there's no where to go that is confirming of much of anything beyond the fuzzy pixels and any further deconstruction of this video construction. It remains, as their FAQ says, unidentified, just a clutch of unidentified fuzzy pixels, submitted anonymously, no names, no real proofs of much, no real radar recording in anyone's possession, no incredible speed defying maneuvers, just a lot of claims being described by fuzzy pixels. What is the value here beyond possibilities and guesses?

I think if the video was shot with a 32K, infrared, full spectrum, radiographic, full-frame ultimate grand supreme sensor with a 50,000 x optic zoom, all-axis AG image stabilization camera...... it still wouldn't be suffice of any proof to many,many people. I can't say I blame them for thinking that way too.

Incredible claims, need incredible proof, and video evidence, along with radar, credible eye-witnesses, physical evidence or even the US government coming out and saying, "Yes, we are being visited by unknown entities" wouldn't be enough for a whole lot of people. This phenomena is so much of a mind fuck, that perfectly sane people would question their own reality if they saw it with their own 2 eyes.

As for the anonymous source, I would do exactly the same thing. Being in the military myself, mentioning UFO's in any report is a no go. I probably would get a forced mental evaluation. I'm sure you know that mentioning UFO's in any professional setting would get you eye-rolls, ridiculed and or, easily fired. Finding a decent job nowadays (especially in Puerto Rico's economy) is a rare gem. So yeah, it doesn't help the case, but maybe later on we'll get more people to come forward and give the case some weight. It's happened before. Or someone can really do some diligent research and prove it's completely bullshit. It's hard to say without the raw video at hand.

Fake or real, the value of the video make us question our own sense of being in this universe. It keeps my brains imagination firing more sparks. (I think that's pretty damn important) If we keep on asking the right questions -- maybe one day we can discover why we are all here. (Sorry for getting all philosophical)

Last edited:
I have to say that I really like the video, if it is fake it is a good one.
The thing that impresses me the most is that it feels very much like the camera operator is following/tracking the "object".
The biggest problem I have is when the "object" enters the water, because there is no disturbance of the water.

My current thinking is that it is possible a test/training exercise: where the new camera was being put through its paces i.e testing the rotation, zoom, IR etc and CGI has been added to the footage afterwards.

If it is a "real" video all I can say is that I want one of those!

Screen grabs from the infrared footage, from ATS:

ws55cd3451.jpg

Have it your way. I don't feel like arguing with you.
where's the argument part?
At around :30 it seems to have generated a sheath of some kind around itelf.
If you look at other objects generating light, such as the boat that goes by early on in the video, you will notice there are similar white pixels circling those light sources. I wouldn't necessarily attribute this to being a sheath of any source as opposed to something that could be used as a parallel measurement. Given the intensity and size of those boat lights, in terms of their black and white contrast, this might give the observer a kind of baseline with which to use to make comparisons with the object in question in terms of just how much "heat" is possibly being generated by this object as well as other measurements.

There are also some natural pixel aberrations that are taking place with this object in motion that is a natural consequence of this low res video format. Edges of this specific object are in flux which suggests something that has less defined edges to it i.e. more like a balloon or some kind of flimsy shifting & tumbling material as opposed to a solid object.

In the report they go through very painstaking measurements of only the object's pixel density and changes which is really quite arbitrary, when similar comparisons of other known objects in the video might have given those "heat graphs" some actual purpose in terms of what this information means.

Back