• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Micah Hanks with Goggs Mackay

I was intrigued when the NRO was brought up (again). I've heard Chris mention the agency in the past but it seems as if it's always been glossed over in previous discussions. Perhaps I have missed a more in depth discussion regarding the NRO in the past but I'll ask the following question. Why are some researchers so certain that they'd be the "go to" agency when it comes to UFO's? …"We are unwavering in our dedication to fulfilling our vision: Vigilance From Above." I gather that they'd have the first look at anything headed toward the Earth? Any thoughts anyone?
My good friend engineer Ron Regehr was involved coordinating operations and technical manuals for a particularly sensitive aerospace company for over 30 years. His area of expertise was satellite optics and he worked on most (if not all?) of our most sensitive spy satellites, as well as civilian NASA programs, etc. He has said that every satellite system we have up there is not only looking down at the planet—it's looking out toward deep space. "They are UFO detectors..." he likes to remind people. And he would be one to know this. The NRO coordinates all of this data gathering, etc etc

Klaatu was a formative band for me growing up in high school. This particular song resonated with all the UFO thoughts I had been having up to that point in time and would last for another couple of years and then fade away altogether. Upon further reflection, decades later, I'm starting to feel that UFO's and their occupants have something to do with the way reality is experienced as a child. And so here's this version instead:

My good friend engineer Ron Regehr was involved coordinating operations and technical manuals for a particularly sensitive aerospace company for over 30 years. His area of expertise was satellite optics and he worked on most (if not all?) of our most sensitive spy satellites, as well as civilian NASA programs, etc. He has said that every satellite system we have up there is not only looking down at the planet—it's looking out toward deep space. "They are UFO detectors..." he likes to remind people. And he would be one to know this. The NRO coordinates all of this data gathering, etc etc

That is really interesting. Thanks for sharing that with us. Another thing I like to mention once in a while is that although people still tend to think of satellites whizzing by a few hundred miles outside the Earth's atmosphere, there are some much farther out. For example the Gaia space observatory sits way out at LaGrange Point 2 ( L2 ) which is at 1.5 million Km ( a million Km past the Moon ! ).

Didn't he speak (on a forum you and I posted on some years ago) about data gathered from one of the DSP satellites at the time of the Iran 1986 ufo event? Has he ever been interviewed on the Paracast, or might he be willing now?

UFO_Flying_Saucers_011-03.jpg

This was a very middle of the road episode touching upon many familiar themes without digging in too deep into any one area. It was a very gentlemanly discussion with a lot of agreement, no tension, but conceptual in its broad overview of the status of ufology. There wasn't even any real criticusm of decrying the end of ufology, a meme unto itself in the history of the field.

Stanton falling asleep on a panel tells us something about the rigidity of ufologists and the positions they are shackled to. I thought Goggs' position regarding evolution of thought was the area we needed to explore more thoroughly. Perhaps too often the elder statesmen of ufology are allowed to speak their familiar refrains of high school biology class and are not challenged enough to evolve the field? Looking for those pivotal moments where someone either switches gears, directions or pushes past their previous thoughts is what makes the field exciting and creates change.
So with that being said, and all the talk of ufology going "underground," I was wondering just who are those rare figures, as we didn't read about them in the article, and the only reference on the show went back to Ray Stanford, hardly a little known figure and more the focus of Paracast controversy than anything else. I was hoping to hear about new territory as opposed to revisiting all the usual themes of Greer, Bassett, control groups, Helleyer etc.

However, what is visible is a more developed approach to the cataloging of the phenomenon i.e. Koi, Rutkowski & team, Vallée & Aubeck but researchers underground? It almost sounds like a control system unto itself. Is there any difference between Bigelow and underground researchers, aside from the five or so NIDS reports actually published. What exactly are these underground researchers up to and who are they?
exopolZZJ_07.jpg

From reading Rutkowski's report it seems the truth of the situation is that there are both fewer dollars & people committed to direct investigation. Perhaps the only ones who can form the invisible college are those affluent indiviuals like Koi, Vallée and Bigelow who can jetset to the college meetings, by invitation only. It sounds like an exclusive club, as exclusive as any MIB collective, Aviary or 3 letter mirage makers. Maybe it needs to be that way but isn't that what the whole disclosure movement is all about? Talk about wheels spinning within spinning wheels. I kinda felt like we were being led down a circular garden path, or perhaps that's just the nature of the whole UFO thing.

Last edited:
So is he aware of any UFOs that have been detected that he can comment on or even if he is forced to be silent, has he given any hints or indications to you that anomalous objects have been detected?

So is he aware of any UFOs that have been detected that he can comment on or even if he is forced to be silent, has he given any hints or indications to you that anomalous objects have been detected?
He confirmed that the 1976 Tehran event was detected, the 1995 NORAD event in the SLV was detected by DSP (investigating this event was how we first met, btw) plus, I'm sure, others...

I came across Ron Regehr's paper in the April '94 Mufon Journal titled "Do our spy satellites see UFO's?". In the article he lays out some of the capabilities of United States' DSP Spy satellites along with his belief that not only are these satellite's detecting heat blooms from ICBM's, they're detecting "valid IR sources" ultimately classified as UFO's (Fastwalkers). I didn't see any mention of the NRO in the article but Ron may not have been hip to the agencies existence since the agency was declassified only two years prior in 1992.

www.theblackvault.com/encyclopedia/documents/.../April_1994.pdf

Just listening to the start of the show... great. Goggs, you always have something interesting to say, Micah, ditto.

Any more info on the "Contact in the Desert 2014"? I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to hear what went on.
Very interesting to hear what Chris' friend told him. Any event -- rave, concert, conf, that messes around with water and A/C in the desert is... out of their minds.

Another source claimed the Contact in the Desert had 4,000 people attending. That would make it worse.

At least when 130,000 people went to San Diego Comic-Con, they had bathrooms. :)

I know a lot of us are or were desert rats... you're right, Gene. This is the same conf that Greer's guys locked the doors at last year? I can't believe they sold any tickets for this one!

[Edit: Great comment from Micah at 1:50:54 about the "weaponizing" of the term "conspiracy theory", and what the term really means. I would add that there are good reasons for the powers that be to do this. It isn't lunatic fringe, but it's portrayed that you are if you say it. So true.]

My wife and I drove about 2 hours to the ocean today and we listened to some of the podcasts ‘FM Podcast” downloaded for me from the past week and after listing to the most recent Paracast we had a conversation that kept me reeling. I spent a lot of time walking miles down the beach thinking about this issue and what it means…

There are a lot of people with good stories to tell about their experiences with the paranormal and supernatural and deserve to have their stories told. There are some venues that want to publish those stories and do a respectable “brisk” business while publishing only stories that have some validity to them.

Then there are venues that are out to tell those stories but have airtime to fill. A Network show like “Hanger 1” has a set amount of 12 episodes each season but they only have 9 stories that hold water. Now they have 3 other shows to make so they come up with filler – or take weak stories, sex and jazz them up, and put them on the air.

How is a viewer and true-believe supposed to know which ones are the Real McCoy and which ones are just filler?

And what about the lesser known but more legitimate venues out to tell legitimate stories? Aren’t we diminished by those who perpetuate bunk with “filler?”

How can we tackle this?

While television has an enormous potential to educate, it's mostly just commercial entertainment. Bunk and filler is in no way exclusive to UFO & Paranormal shows. It's served up in similar portions on other topics whether serious or sensational.

As it is, TV contaminates more often than it educates. It should only be seen as a way to introduce and interest people to a topic.
For anyone to really learn something about it, they'll have to shut the damn thing off.

hqdefault.jpg

My wife and I drove about 2 hours to the ocean today and we listened to some of the podcasts ‘FM Podcast” downloaded for me from the past week and after listing to the most recent Paracast we had a conversation that kept me reeling. I spent a lot of time walking miles down the beach thinking about this issue and what it means…

There are a lot of people with good stories to tell about their experiences with the paranormal and supernatural and deserve to have their stories told. There are some venues that want to publish those stories and do a respectable “brisk” business while publishing only stories that have some validity to them.

Then there are venues that are out to tell those stories but have airtime to fill. A Network show like “Hanger 1” has a set amount of 12 episodes each season but they only have 9 stories that hold water. Now they have 3 other shows to make so they come up with filler – or take weak stories, sex and jazz them up, and put them on the air.

How is a viewer and true-believe supposed to know which ones are the Real McCoy and which ones are just filler?

And what about the lesser known but more legitimate venues out to tell legitimate stories? Aren’t we diminished by those who perpetuate bunk with “filler?”

How can we tackle this?

We tackle this the same way I did personally. Initially, I was more in the "believer" crowd, but then I started reading informative sites (like the one Burnt State pointed out in another post) and listening to radio shows and finally got to the Paracast. Listening to episode after episode, I was able to get a good sense of which researchers were legitimate and which ones weren't. There is some difference of opinion on some people, but some people have a consistently negative reputation, so I learned that those people are probably not worth listening to.

The Paracast's "non-koolaid" approach makes it a very reliable source for this sort of thing and with the forum members' non-debunking skepticism, this combination makes me feel comfortable that I am getting closer to the truth and am actually learning something.

Back