• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Micah Hanks with Goggs Mackay

Yes, we'll be sending them out in batches shortly.

And one more thing: If you are already a newsletter subscriber, send us a message via the Contact Us link at the bottom right of this page, and I'll make sure you also get a copy.

If you've already purchased the book, feel satisfied that you helped Chris pay the rent. :)

Great show lads and Goggs touched on some very good points and agree those in the so called know ? would never speak out ! that's why very suspicious of some whistleblowers who have. Unless on their death beds which medication must be taken into account even these testimonies.

Great show guys, I'm now going through it a second time. I had a bit of a time fully absorbing what was said because this episode was so dense...and I do mean that in a positive way.

Guys like Micah and Chris are probably the LAST person that guys like Robert Sheaffer...or Mr. Klass, were he still with us...would want to see on the other side of the podium in any debate.

What this episode also reIntegrated in my mind is that in listening to the paracast and other paranormal podcast over the years when it comes to paying respects to other researchers, is the countless number of times I heard something on the order of this :

"You know, I've known xxxxxxxx a number of years and I respect his work and what he's done for the field...BUT...."

Whether this statement or a similar type is on par with similar statements in other fields I cannot say. I thought it may have something to do with that many things in the field are speculative or based on a hypothesis, but I now think it could have something to do with what Micah said about long term researchers being beholden to a belief system especially if it was something they concieved, which I guess ties into my first thought in a way.

Last edited:
Great show lads and Goggs touched on some very good points and agree those in the so called know ? would never speak out ! that's why very suspicious of some whistleblowers who have. Unless on their death beds which medication must be taken into account even these testimonies.
Let me just add that Goggs is a treasure, and a wonderful guest. We're happy to have him aboard from time to time as a special guest co-host. Maybe this will help him find a new career.

Micah is always engaging and even though the show isn't a live call-in situation, he makes the listener feel ( in my subjective opinion ) like they are welcomed in on the discussion. If I were to label him with any kind of stereotype it would be "the southern gentleman of ufology". It was also a pleasant surprise to hear Goggs on the show and I liked the segment he initiated about the possibility of a so-called "control group" that works behind the scenes to keep the public from knowing too much. The audio quality was also much better than other episodes. Not sure why exactly. But to the untrained ear, everyone sounded like they could have been right there in the studio. Also have to compliment Chris on the e-book giveaway incentive. Great idea. I have the hard-copy version and would highly recommend that new forum members take advantage of the offer.

The show covered a lot of ground, maybe a little too quickly at times, and touched on so many facets connected to ufology that commenting on each one would be too much for a single post. However if there was an overall theme, it was how all the various aspects of ufology that were mentioned affect the impression that people have of the field in general. Therefore again, I have to point out that although that issue was deemed to be unimportant by the hosts when I was being critical of NARCAP's position on it in a previous episode, they certainly seemed to think it was relevant during this show. Is this issue only unimportant when someone is being critical of the guest's position on it?

Personally I'm getting a little tired of the general attitude that ufology deserves to be abandoned because of the way certain figures that fall within the scope of the field behave themselves. There is a solution for the so-called image problem, but unless it's endorsed by those to whom it's supposed to matter, we're going to be left facing the same criticisms over and over again. But then again, maybe we'd also be left with comparatively little to talk about, and that might not be so good for the "industry" as Micah calls it. Are those who are looking at ufology in that context feeding off the discontent and using it to leverage themselves into the spotlight? Perhaps. Is that justifiable? Sometimes. But what about when it's not?

Last edited:
I know you've complained about sound quality from time to time. A lot of this is really not under our control. We have to deal with the vagaries of Skype, which will do unknown things with compression on various quality connections. We are dealing with guests using different types of phones and phone networks, plus those with various mics when they use Skype. In the end, Chris and I have similar mics (The Blue Yeti Pro for me — sometimes I use a Shure SM58 — and the Blue Yeti that I gave Chris for the show). Still, Chris doesn't have the best online connection and it sometimes makes a difference.

This time out, both Micah and Goggs had decent mics and solid connections, and so the artifacts were less. Or maybe the person at the control panel at GCN opted to keep the finagling down.

I enjoyed the discussion, and it was great to have Goggs along. Micah's comments about UFO TV being mistaken for ufology are good, but the public is not going to make that distinction. Still, he's right that we shouldn't let a televised caricature of the field affect the work.

Micah's comments about UFO TV being mistaken for ufology are good, but the public is not going to make that distinction.
Anything that falls within the wide array of subject matter and activities associated with an interest in UFOs is a part of the field of ufology. For example, television programming about UFOs falls first under the umbrella topic of Ufology in this way: Ufology > Ufology Studies > Culture > Media > Television. Clearly it would be a mistake to ignore the huge cultural impact UFOs have had on society via the media. What I think Micah was really trying to get across is that UFOs in popular culture shouldn't be confused with serious UFO investigation, e.g. Ufology > Field Investigation > Collection of Evidence > Scientific Analysis.
Still, he's right that we shouldn't let a televised caricature of the field affect the work.
I guess that depends on the nature of the work. The work done to catalog and review popular culture in ufology is perfectly legitimate. Ufology isn't just about obtaining verifiable scientifically valid material evidence that will make the skeptics happy. Ufology is a richly diversified field that crosses the boundaries of fact and fiction in a way that makes it fascinating on several levels, and it certainly doesn't exclude the sciences when and where they are applicable.

FWIW I have been subscribing to the newsletter since I joined and I have all of Chris' s ebooks and I'm not the least bit worked up about being "left out" Not sure why anybody would feel that way. I just consider it a privilege to be able to post here and occasionally be able to have access to guys like Micah and Nick Redern.

FWIW I have been subscribing to the newsletter since I joined and I have all of Chris' s ebooks and I'm not the least bit worked up about being "left out" Not sure why anybody would feel that way. I just consider it a privilege to be able to post here and occasionally be able to have access to guys like Micah and Nick Redern.
Some people have the same problems I have. I had anger just beneath the surface, scratch me and it would come out like an underwater volcano.

Stress management and the ability to look at myself from outside myself makes all the difference in the world. Before I do something I always ask... would I be embarrassed if I caught myself doing this? Is this something I'm going to regret doing later.

Personally - I wouldn't except a free book from Chris! I would pass it along to someone else who is much younger, new to "The Movement" and not awash in funds like I am.

(I pay for all the books I review on my own site, by the way.)

Some people have the same problems I have. I had anger just beneath the surface, scratch me and it would come out like an underwater volcano.

Stress management and the ability to look at myself from outside myself makes all the difference in the world. Before I do something I always ask... would I be embarrassed if I caught myself doing this? Is this something I'm going to regret doing later.

Personally - I wouldn't except a free book from Chris! I would pass it along to someone else who is much younger, new to "The Movement" and not awash in funds like I am.

(I pay for all the books I review on my own site, by the way.)

Am I just slow or did everyone else get this before I did :confused: ? http://thefedorachronicles.com/

Am I just slow or did everyone else get this before I did :confused: ? http://thefedorachronicles.com/
That's been my labor of love since other sites I belonged to wouldn't let me publish my articles on their sites. It's a bucket of "Anything Goes" for fellow vintage aficionados, retrocentrics, and/or true believers in the paranormal. It's where I put stuff so the taint of my controversies won't spill into other places like here. It's also my laboratory for my fiendish and unholy experiements in html, CSS, j-query and other monstrosities of graphic design. It's my 'The Island of Doctor Moreau'. I work on things there, then use what I've learned to help others. [I also take suggestions on what to review next...]

As for the rest of the show, I can't help but worry about the state of UFOlogy like others. Look - I'm not going to lie and say "I'm impartial" or I'm "unbiased." I choose to believe in "UFO's" and actually enjoy the notion that there are paranormal persons, places, and things out there that we don't don't understand because they are beyond our comprehension. I make a conscience choice to say "I don't know what that is, but let's go see and figure it out for ourselves." I strongly believe in the possibility - I'm not saying that everything people claim is true, I'm open to the possiblity of what those people say is true.

Too many times a "No Trespassing" sign translated into "Come over here, Eric! I won't tell! It'll be our secret!"

But I cross the line when others try and turn UFOlogy into a new religion, or a "New Age Movement" - There are wolves among us who want to be the first pope of this phenomenon.

To the other extreme, there are those with all the answers and are so much smarter than us </sarcasm> and they know for sure without a doubt that we're all idiots for believing in the possibility - the mere POSSIBILITY - of alien or beings from an alternate dimension visiting our planet.

People who have convinced others that they have all the answers and carry about an air of arrogance about them while trying to convince others to allow his/her thoughts to take over for others thinking disturb me. I'm talking Jonestown disturbing. It's these two extremes that are like a candle burning at both ends of UFOlogy out to incinerate the middle in a race to become the brightest light.

Ufology would be fine if you just cut out any ex government men from the equation, they sit both side's of the fence, and between their claims/fantasies, and the ease with which their counter-part ex gov debunker's make a mockery of their fantasies, make's the whole subject and anyone else a laughing stock.

Infact cut out, and ignore anything or anyone amercan UFO related, and the signal become's much clearer, as you reduce 99% of the noise, and it is a very big world outside of america, with 7 billion more possible eye-witness's..

Last edited:
I enjoyed listening to this weeks show. I frequent the Gralien Report website but I'd never listened to Micah speak before. He's not a crazy person which is a plus & he has what I consider to be a level headed approach to the topic of UFO's. I always enjoy listening to Gogg's as well. I think it's great that Gene & Chris allow listeners & forum members participate in the discussion on the air. I'd like to hear another listener roundtable soon.

I was intrigued when the NRO was brought up (again). I've heard Chris mention the agency in the past but it seems as if it's always been glossed over in previous discussions. Perhaps I have missed a more in depth discussion regarding the NRO in the past but I'll ask the following question. Why are some researchers so certain that they'd be the "go to" agency when it comes to UFO's? I went to their website National Reconnaissance Office : 50 Years of Supra Et Ultra & found the following description which answers some of my question:

FROM National Reconnaissance Office : 50 Years of Supra Et Ultra "ABOUT US" "When the United States needs eyes and ears in critical places where no human can reach – be it over the most rugged terrain or through the most hostile territory – it turns to the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO). The NRO is the U.S. Government agency in charge of designing, building, launching, and maintaining America’s intelligence satellites. Whether creating the latest innovations in satellite technology, contracting with the most cost-efficient industrial supplier, conducting rigorous launch schedules, or providing the highest-quality products to our customers, we never lose focus on who we are working to protect: our Nation and its citizens.

From our inception in 1961 to our declassification to the public in 1992, we have worked tirelessly to provide the best reconnaissance support possible to the Intelligence Community (IC) and Department of Defense (DoD). We are unwavering in our dedication to fulfilling our vision: Vigilance From Above."

I gather that they'd have the first look at anything headed toward the Earth? Any thoughts anyone?

I agree to an extent, Manx - There are some people who have no business being in UFOlogy and have nothing to say that I want to hear on the topic, let alone write a book on the topic.

There are some people

As far as UFO Reports – here’s an exercise I did in my very first Journalism class… don’t worry, it’s multiple choice and I give away the answer in a few short paragraphs anyway.

You’re a reporter, and Tom Jones says that he saw a UFO after leaving the nightclub around 3AM. Mr. Jones said it was silver, bright red lights along the edge, and two big green lights on the top and bottom.

What’s the real story.

A) It must have happened around Christmas time, and since Tom Jones left the night club so late he must have been drunk and mistaken a Christmas ornament for a UFO.

B) Tom Jones said he saw a UFO – so they must be real!

C) Since UFO’s don’t exist, Tom Jones didn’t see a UFO. Also, there’s no evidence that Tom Jones actually said he said anything to anyone about nothing he saw. It’s all Stan Freidman making stuff up.

D) Tom Jones made a mistake and saw a weather balloon and swamp gas.

E) George W. Bush was the worst President we ever had and somehow this is a plot by Halliburton and Black Water to deceive the country and take over the country via a vast right wing conspiracy.

F) Tom Jones says that he saw a UFO after leaving the nightclub around 3AM. Mr. Jones said it was silver, bright red lights along the edge, and two big green lights on the top and bottom.

Which is the correct answer? If you said either A, B, C, D or E – you’re a bad reporter and you let your bias taint what you’re reporter.

If you said F – you’re a better reporter than 99.9999999999% of the reporters working for a living – Congratulations!

When reporting just the facts, it’s not up to you to speculate on what really happened. When someone says they saw something – the only thing to report is “someone said they saw something.”

Unfortunately, people taint reporting with their bias within the first paragraph or sentence and it’s hard to figure out what really happened. Folks editorialize the news while reporting the news and in the end you don’t know what really happened. Then so-called “historians” with “insider information” get a hold of it… hoo boy!

If Kennith Arnold said he saw something, then only thing to remember is that Kenneth Arnold said he saw something. If we are to speculate what he ACTUALLY saw, we need to specify what’s speculation. It’s my speculation that Kenneth Arnold might have seen top secret air craft that was built by Nazi scientists and engineers that were recovered at the end of World War II and were being flown in a remote area where the US Government thought nobody would see them.

To say my speculation is “the fact” is wrong. It’s a fact that’s my speculation, but my speculation is just that.

Some folks get a fancy title or publish a mere book and suddenly their word becomes gospel and all rational, critical thinking goes out the door. Some people lose their flipping minds and so desperately want to get the approval of an author or office holder they’re believe anything. THAT is the problem with modern UFOlogy.

Oh, by the way… did you know I’m also a published author (Under the name, Eric Fisk) and I have a few articles under my belt? Would you like to try my Kool-Aid? [I would explain the joke, but the punch line is too long!]

There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Ufology is not going to die if we have the young and old researching together.
INAPE INAPE - Instituto de Astronomia e Pesquisas Espaciais - Araçatuba/SP
I have just visited this site, and got pleasantly surprised. INAPE -
Institute of Astronomy and Space Research -
is an ONG full of young people studying science, astronomy and UFOs! They are in the city of Aracatuba, state of Sao Paulo, Brasil.
They have an annual meeting called COSMOS. AJ Gevaerd goes to the event every year to lecture. I bet he does not get paid to do that!

From their site:
The organization aims to spread the study of astronomy and related science, encourage scientific curiosity and ecological awareness through cultural and educational projects. Provides services to the community by giving lectures and demonstrations in the establishments of public and private education Araçatuba and region.
Within the field of research about sightings of unidentified flying objects, the INAPE always sought to act with scientific criteria, demonstrating the authenticity or otherwise of the samples, the comprehensive study of the evidence produced, as well as records on film, video or radar in analogy to known terrestrial phenomena.

Back