• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

July 18, 2010 - David Hatcher Childress

P

Paul Kimball

I've met David - he's a thoroughly nice fellow. Having said that, as soon as the talk moved to the moon as an artificial alien construct, I tuned out.

I always thought that the craziest thing I could hear about the moon was the notion that we faked the moon landing.

I was clearly wrong. :rolleyes:

Wow wow wow. I'm twenty minutes in and I can't believe the stuff this guy is into. The stuff people will believe. He does sound like a nice guy though, but still, wow.

Also, he needs to learn about the rotation of the moon. He's got it completely wrong and he's falling victim to bad Astronomy. He should take a look at this:

Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions

Wow wow wow. I'm twenty minutes in and I can't believe the stuff this guy is into. The stuff people will believe. He does sound like a nice guy though, but still, wow.

Also, he needs to learn about the rotation of the moon. He's got it completely wrong and he's falling victim to bad Astronomy. He should take a look at this:

Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions

Yes wow but that's entertainment folks and wonder if they grow bananas and pineapples on the Moon? Great to hear different viewpoints at the moment while we have free speech;)

I agree but who really knows unless you have been to the moon and had a great investigation not just a few hours on the surfaces maybe more likely a year poking in the craters and swiming on the beaches ;)

It's all about the moon chickens... which is about as inside a reference as I'll ever make. ;)

I'm gonna leave this episode on the backburner for a rainy day. I've read and seen Childress' ideas many times and haven't found many of them supported by evidence. Lemuria, Atlantis, Hollow Earth and anything else gets tossed into the pot. It's all lost advanced technology and the suspicion of lost races.

Hancock, Pye, Childress and Von Daniken etc it's all the same old pseudo-history in my opinion. For what it's worth, I appreciate that a lot of folk really subscribe to these narratives and enjoy the fantasies. When I was a young teenager, this kind of stuff fascinated me too so I can understand where they're coming from.

In his lectures, Childress has an easy way with words and a Burl Ives kind of patter that makes for easy listening. He throws in tidbits and the odd innuendo about academics and their unwillingness to see what he sees. What bugs me is how a man can do enough research to write so many books about alternative history without any of the scientific literature being taken into consideration. What put the stake in the heart of my teenage beliefs in all this stuff was comparing the alternative accounts with the accepted evidence.

What's more is that I find reading academic papers has added more to the wonders of history than the substitute realities put forward by Childress and the others. It's more 'marvellous' that we've done it all by ourselves without ancient astronauts or lost races! On a positive note, the work of Childress and others can be a gateway to the greater mysteries of real history. Mark Lehner is probably the best example of someone who believed the BS and found the academic explanations far more compelling.

We've always wanted to talk more about theories of Ancient Astronauts, and Childress is certainly an introduction to that field. We've had very little coverage of the topic on the show over the years. We actually had a fascinating guest booked early on, but he never showed.

Alas, perhaps the most fascinating Ancient Astronaut theorist, the late Yonah Fortner, would have been a simply wonderful guest. He was the sort of person to whom you could address a single question and then get a fascinating, entertaining, well-researched response. Of course, I never knew when or if Yonah was embellishing his facts, but it was always an intriguing experience.

Gotta agree with everything posted here. Nice guy, fun to listen to, never met a speculation he didn't like.

Gotta agree with everything posted here. Nice guy, fun to listen to, never met a speculation he didn't like.

I can tell you from personal experience that he definitely knows how to change a tire out in the middle of Death Valley.

I found myself shaking my head through out most of the episode, as the guest put forth idea after idea about the moon and ancient civilizations without much evidence. In fact, most of what he said goes against things that we know as fact, like how the moon works (see my post and link above). There were a few things that he said that actually made me stop the podcast because it was so laughable. The whole thing about the walls of Jericho - it's a legend, a myth, like pretty much everything else in the bible.
Well, at least it was an entertaining podcast, but you need to take everything that was said with a giant, moon sized, grain of salt.

Well, at least it was an entertaining podcast, but you need to take everything that was said with a giant, moon sized, grain of salt.

Jupiter sized, I would say... especially when it comes to that moon stuff.

I have to admit - David was a most charming dinner companion the one time I got to hang out with him, but I thought this was one of the weakest overall episodes in quite a while simply because of the subject matter. It was more suited for a science fiction show than a speculative science program.

I would differ to David on lot of what he discussed during the interview. Atlantis was a mighty seafaring nation according to Plato, Nowhere in the records those Plato say Atlantis had flying vehicles that could transport you around the Globe. It doesn't exist and no one has the right, to change the original story to one that suits there theory. Atlantis was mostly likely the Americas and this would match with the original story. Plato@ Atlantis lay to the west past the pillars of Hercules (Gibraltar and Spain) and it was as large as Libya and Asia combined. It's obvious then, it could only be the Americas.

Now i will a speculate to were Atlantis was, David practices this so why not me. I believe it was an Empire that was inland, not in the Atlantic, it was surrounded by Rivers, and it stretched for hundreds of miles, and Evidence for Atlantis has already been found, overlooked, for whatever reason. I believe, Pumu Punku, is part of this lost Civilization. The Archaeological ruins in my estimation are over 12,000 or 15,000 years old. Atlantis existed 12,000 to 10,000 years ago according to Plato. We don't have to look for imagined locations around the world for Atlantis, when we have ruins existing today in Bolivia that defy logic. There is no evidence this civilization created amazing weapons or build amazing spaceships, but to the Greeks, if they truly sailed to these locations in the distant past. Long after the inhabitants perished. The level of craftmanship and stonework, they saw at Pumu Punku. Even for the Greeks who were the most advanced race in classical times, they be flabbergasted with it all.

Of course, this is just some idle speculation not fact. But it could explain the Atlantis myth, when you take a moment, and review what we do now. For the Greeks the newly discovered land, would have no name. So maybe Greek explorers called it Atlantis since we do now lot of Greek place names start with A and Even Greek Names start with A. So Atlantis equal = this newly discovered place or land?

I have many thoughts, but they are too numerous to write about in such a short amount of time. before i end my post.

The Hollow Moon Theory (Hmmm). David; the Moon was towed to were it is today. I laughed, who wouldn't, come on!! Some of his theories are far fetched. The moon has proven to be a strange place by all accounts. But I would call into question. The idea that the Moon was put together with pieces from a smashed planet, that blew up long ago. If can be proven with Science I will gladly change my mind. I don't belief science has all the answers, but it has the equipment to answer this one.

Also the moon might look like Dark Vader's Mothership, but it's not a spaceship in Orbit!!

The Easter Island statues were not build by Polynesians. I have an opposing view to David. My theory is largely based upon discoveries that were hushed up by the New Zealand government. Archaeologists found Mummies in the ground, and never released the information to the public. The information was leaked. The Mummies weren't Maori.

Well someone mentioned the cattle mutilations on the 18th show. I heard once if you look at the fallout out of the 1950's nuclear testing then overlay the majority cattle mutilations map over the fallout map, it becomes VERY apparent about why it is happening.

I feel the government is worried about our meat supply (cattle eating grass in fallout areas, over time). They don't want to pay for the cattle and worry the public (panic, etc) so they make up blaming UFO's to shift the blame. That is why we almost never hear about the cattle mutilations anymore.

Back