• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

July 18, 2010 - David Hatcher Childress

There's an unfortunate and incorrect assumption that we have had lots of confrontational interviews in the past, which isn't true. We've made a very few guests uncomfortable. One hung up on us early on. But a lot of what passed for confrontation were the after show quarterbacking we used to engage in, and, with the revised format, I've tempered that somewhat. We won't hold back, but we won't be insulting either.

The after-the-guest commentary was often amusing, but equally often seemed unfair. Better to let the guest know what you think directly, without being rude (not that I think that you are or have been rude). The fact is that too many people on the paranormal circuit aren't used to being challenged. There are times when some pushback will elicit light rather than heat.

That said, I'd be interested to hear a discussion between Mr. Childress and someone with a deep knowledge of the subject, be it lunar phenomena or Sanskrit literature. It's not so much a matter of holding his feet to the fire as having him respond to the best available research on the subject. Frankly, my default position when I hear about the wonderful technological achievements of the ancients is more skeptical than not. But I'm always open to new evidence that's able to stand up under scrutiny.

bonaventura

That said, I'd be interested to hear a discussion between Mr. Childress and someone with a deep knowledge of the subject, be it lunar phenomena or Sanskrit literature. It's not so much a matter of holding his feet to the fire as having him respond to the best available research on the subject. Frankly, my default position when I hear about the wonderful technological achievements of the ancients is more skeptical than not. But I'm always open to new evidence that's able to stand up under scrutiny.

I agree entirely, but don't hold out any hope. There are very good college and university libraries out there with open access. There are literally hundreds of thousands of academic papers catalogued online with citations to cross-reference. Guys like John Hawkes blog daily about anthropology and ancient history. Sites like Hall of Maat are host to to some of the brightest minds in academia and don't mind discussing fringe ideas...it's why the site exists. I've been reading it for years and recommend it for anyone interested in history.

The point I'm trying to make is that Childress and many more (not all) who are into the forbidden archaeology/alternative history aren't interested. It's clear they don't use academic because they wouldn't make the claims they do. I think they actively avoid the literature!

In one presentation he trots out the same old BS about Egypt being a naval trading partner with South America. He points out some similarities in early Olmec statuary and objects as indicative of Egyptian influence and leads his audience by the nose into sharing his conclusions. By extension, Egyptologists and scholars of Meso-America must be lying or complicit in the cover-up! It's self-perpetuating...

If he'd even glimpsed at the research available on maritime history, the story collapses. If he'd ever looked at Egyptian naval activity, he'd find that we actually have the boats they used! The boats that were used during the period he suggests were incapable of oceanic journeys. They weren't even designed to be oceanic. Nevermind about the depictions on tomb and temple walls or model boats buried with the dead. He could read about haplogroups and migration analyses. Intestinal worms and their evolution!

These lousy academics he distrusts aren't a united body with one voice. They all study and research in their small niche environments. In that light, the body of evidence against his claims comes from diverse sources and disciplines. They don't support the notion of Egyptian globe-trotting. When taken from a broader perspective, the reality presented by academic research evidence is much stronger (integrity) than the reality suggested by Childress' evidence. Like many of the alternative historians, he's began with, "Surely, the ancients couldn't do that!" and then weaves an elaborate tapestry around that kernel of disbelief and incredulity.

Sorry about the lengthy argument. Basically, if Childress wanted to challenge his ideas he could do so easily. It's clear to me that he doesn't want to be challenged.

All on can say about Kandisky's post is Amen brother, preach it!

And I quote..."It's clear they don't use academic because they wouldn't make the claims they do. I think they actively avoid the literature"

No truer words were ever spoken about this guest and his ilk.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

You do remember when I moved the discussion away from Moon mysteries, right?

I remember it, and it shows you know baloney when you hear it. I guess, I would be hoping for more of a response like "If that were true, wouldn't there have to be a worldwide cabal of physicists, governments, geologists, space agencies, and in fact the entire academic world would have to be "in on it"? How can this be? Many, if not most, of these people and organizations will openly and publicly disagree with one another (if need be), and vie for intellectual supremacy, how could such knowledge be actively suppressed?"

Now, I'm sure your guest could have come up with an answer, but turning away from the subject only leaves it hanging. As it says in the Talmud (I think)..."Silence is the sign of approval".

Of course, after reading Kandinsky's post, I don't know why I even bother. They said everything that needed to be said.

I'm listening to a great talk on another podcast regarding letting a guest talk, even if you don't believe what they are saying. You don't want to be an "ambush" show, regardless of whether you buy into what a guest is saying or not.
I listened to the show, I cringed throughout, and then I came to the forum to let my thoughts be known. I would probably feel different about it if there wasn't a forum where one could vent his feelings.

Okay, so I have skipped through some of the posts here, havent got time to read them all but just thought I would add my two cents.
This for me was one of the worst shows in a long time. I don't mean badly produced, or badly hosted by Gene, I just mean that the guest sounded absolutely out there. I'm not having a personal attack on the guy, I don't know him and for all I know he is a thoroughly nice bloke. But it was almost like listening to John Lear.
I could go on for ever about how he just took a load of stories about the ancients, and spoke about them as if they were fact but I won't. What I will say, is that many of the statement he made that were meant to be 'fact', were completely wrong.
Just as an example, take the Gary McKinnon case. The british government are not fighting his cause trying to stop him from getting extradited... they are basically letting him go, but the family of Gary keep bringing it back to the courts (it was going to the European courts last I heard) to stop or delay him going out there. Most people (bar a few) in the government have done nothing to stop him going out there.
Also, coming from someone who knows somebody with Aspergers syndrome, they definitely do not constantly tell the truth all the time. I know thats not exactly what he said, but you get the point.

Nonetheless Gene did realise these things during the show I think and try to steer it back on track.
Since the show has just gone live on the radio though, I would suggest having some more 'down to earth' topics and guests on for the next few shows.

Just scanning the 11 pages of responses to this post, I saw a few mentions of lunar theories but not one that mentioned the most common lunar theory in astronomy today; the impact theory. The Moon's surface is near-identical to the crust of our Earth in chemical composition and ratio of elements. Based on that, it's believed that about 10,000 after the formation of our little blue planet, another planetoid impacted the surface and blasted a major chunk of debris into space, which was then caught in the orbit of what was left of Earth (which was still substantial) and that debris condensed into our Moon.

Just scanning the 11 pages of responses to this post, I saw a few mentions of lunar theories but not one that mentioned the most common lunar theory in astronomy today; the impact theory. The Moon's surface is near-identical to the crust of our Earth in chemical composition and ratio of elements. Based on that, it's believed that about 10,000 after the formation of our little blue planet, another planetoid impacted the surface and blasted a major chunk of debris into space, which was then caught in the orbit of what was left of Earth (which was still substantial) and that debris condensed into our Moon.

There's a good article about this from a few years ago...SPACE.com -- 24 Hours of Chaos: The Day The Moon Was Made It used to have a graphic illustration that's been lost over time. You can see the image over here...http://images.iop.org/objects/phw/news/5/8/13/010813.gif

Back