• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Has Kal Korff the famous Bigfoot, Roswell & Meier debunker flipped his lid?

OMG! Pathetic is the word that comes to mind.
Kal is a legend in his own delusional fantasy. He has definitely flipped. Maybe someone should let the Secret Forces know? ;-)

David Biedny said:
A .

My sweet girlfriend is watching these right now, y'all should see the expression on her face.

:rolleyes:

I don't believe what I am seeing.

Who is this guy? Look, I know that you guys talk about him from time to time but I really had no idea who he was. Is he serious? Or is this a cool comedy?

Nothing is more intimidating than having a delusional rolly-polly telling you that he will be using his top secret Israeli email account to send information to a sheriff.

Damn . . . it must suck to be that crazy.

-DBTrek

Richard Bailey said:
Captained Korff says that David, Gene and Mac will be exposed.

Guys, put you close back on. :p

We are all shaking in our boots. Can barely breathe. If you can believe that, you can believe anything.

I see he put a whole slew of stuff up about Gene, David, Paul, and Mac. His favored target seems to be Paul at the moment. What really gave me a chuckle though, was his video 'proof' of the Mycova whatever-chick. He is talking to an off camera female voice that never enters the frame . . . solid proof that there is a chick there, and that it's who he says she is.

Wow.

It's like a train wreck. I don't want to look. I don't want to comment. I want to just leave it alone and walk away . . .

. . . but every time I start walking away ANOTHER train comes crashing in on the wreckage of the last one. :p

-DBTrek

DBTrek said:
I see he put a whole slew of stuff up about Gene, David, Paul, and Mac. His favored target seems to be Paul at the moment. What really gave me a chuckle though, was his video 'proof' of the Mycova whatever-chick. He is talking to an off camera female voice that never enters the frame . . . solid proof that there is a chick there, and that it's who he says she is.

Wow.

It's like a train wreck. I don't want to look. I don't want to comment. I want to just leave it alone and walk away . . .

. . . but every time I start walking away ANOTHER train comes crashing in on the wreckage of the last one. :p

-DBTrek

And maybe he's a ventriloquist, so he can deliver a second voice, in a phony accent, without the need for anyone actually being there.

Of course, he also watches this forum, so now we've given him more ammunition with which to make a fool of himself: :p

Gene Steinberg said:
And maybe he's a ventriloquist, so he can deliver a second voice, in a phony accent, without the need for anyone actually being there.

Of course, he also watches this forum, so now we've given him more ammunition with which to make a fool of himself: :p

"I'm out here near the secret headquarters of the Super Secret Service. That cow in the background is actually an agent, he's been running surveillance on this cow mutilation phenomenon for ten years. My camera man today is Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert. Some small minded people have suggested that Ehud Olmert is not my camera man, isn't that right Ehud?"

"That's right, General Korff"

"Right. And I suppose agent Moopants hasn't been running surveillance on cow mutilations in this very field for ten years either, right Ehud?"

"That's what they say on there forums, general"

"Right. Well I guess they're eating their words now, since we can all clearly see the cow doing surveillance, and we can hear your voice, Prime Minister. In yo' face Steinberg and Biedny! You have ten lunar months to retract your lies about me, or I will expose you for the frauds you are. You will both be watched very closely. That is all".

:rolleyes:

-DBTrek

Who would have thought that the (relatively) even-tempered Canadian would be the one to take the gloves off and enter the Steel Cage with . . . uh . . . whatever Korff calls himself these days.

Someone should do a documentary on the back and forth between you guys.

-DBTrek

DBTrek said:
Man . . . torn on this one.

On one hand, I'll admit that Royce and his clique of child-like "who's in, who's out" UFO gang really rub me the wrong way. There's the act of exposing frauds, and then there's the act of trying to run some sort of UFO 'in-crowd' gang by applying social pressure to one's enemies. Royce strikes me as the latter type.

On the other hand . . . Korff's a loud-mouthed, mentally ill, deluded, annoying prick, that badly deserves a reality check.

So who do you pull for in a fight like this? Royce and his bully crowd of grown men that act like 12-year old girls . . . or the loud mouthed mental case?

. . . that's why the field of UFOology is such a joke to most people. Very few "good guys" to pull for.

-DBTrek

Easy for me, I pull for Royce. Or actually truth and reason, which Royce seems to have a handle on more so than KK.

Royce is a decent, good guy, who is tired of all of the BS and noise in the realm of UFO study. I consider meeting him to be one of the good things that's come out of my involvement with this show, and would be happy to be on his side in a fight anytime. I pretty much agree with every entry in his Halls of Shame/Fame, he calls them as he sees them, and that takes guts to do in a public venue. He doesn't hide behind an online pseudonym and he takes risks expressing his opinions, two things I absolutely relate to and understand.

Royce has a disclaimer which states that there is a blend of humor through out his site. I think some people over look this and take it too seriously. It has a comedic edge to it, like Carlin and Hicks.

I'm always interested in hearing what incorrect info. Royce has spread. Name anything that he is lying about or mis representing. So far, I come up short. And when there is something unconfirmed, he states, "reportedly". No prob with that. He isn't passing off rumor as fact.

Paranormal Packrat said:
Royce has a disclaimer which states that there is a blend of humor through out his site. I think some people over look this and take it too seriously. It has a comedic edge to it, like Carlin and Hicks.

Maybe I misunderstand his humor. It's possible, tone of voice is difficult to determine in the written word. My point was simply that RM gets a lot of hype for being some sort of straight-talking cowboy that has the "rare" ability to find kooks in a kooky field. In practice though, he has the same petty vendettas, the same immaturity, and performs the same rumor-mongering as his targets. C'mon, a page of "I heard So-and-So once said . . ." is not watch-dogging.

Is he as bad as Korff? No. I don't think Royce is delusional.

Is he a stand-up, straight talking, 'just-the-facts' watchdog of the UFO community? No, he's an opinionated amatuer like the most of the egos in field. He put time and research into uncovering the work of obvious frauds, and discovered they were [gasp] obvious frauds.

If I *had* to pick a side (and I don't), I suppose I'd throw in with Royce. The difference is I wouldn't be functioning under the illusion that my side was blameless in the internet-sniping circus, or above using cheap tactics.

Dang dude, you dug waaaaaaaay back in time for that one.

-DBTrek

[align=center][size=x-large]Key-Witness Kal: Part 1[/size]

[size=large]Roger Knights
[/size][/align]

Part 1A:
The word “player” can mean either of two things:

1. A person on a team’s roster;
2. A participant in a game.

Which of those meanings is intended is determined from context:

1. If a person says, “I was a player for the Chicago Bears,” we understand that he was on the team’s roster, even if he never played in a game (e.g., if he functioned as a backup quarterback or place-kicker).

2. If a person says, “I was a key player in the Super Bowl,” and “my plays sank the opposition,” we understand him to be saying that he was not just on the roster and physically present in the stadium, but that he played in the game.

It would be an equivocation for a man to say, “I was a key player in the Super Bowl,” when the facts were that he was only a benchwarmer. I.e., he’d have misled his listeners if he used such phraseology. There’d be no excuse for it—he couldn’t claim not to know how they’d interpret his words.

=============
Part 1B:
What does all this have to do with the price of peas in Peru? Well, on his website Kal Korff claimed, as pointed out in December 2006 by Paul Kimball, to have been “a key, expert witness in the O.J. Simpson murder trial civil lawsuit.” This is analogous to claiming to have been a player in a Super Bowl. (A thread with links to PK’s posts on this matter can be found here: http://kkkorff.blogspot.com/.)

Furthermore, on Rob McConnell’s XZone talk-show (of the night of Dec. 28, 2006, at about the 3:20 mark), Korff stated.

I was one of the star witnesses in the O.J. Simpson civil lawsuit effort, which was successful. It resulted in a multi-million dollar award judgment. My specific involvement in that case was that I was the expert witness who sank the testimony of Robert Groden over the issue of whether the photos that showed Simpson wearing the Bruno Magli shoes were forgeries or not. They were arguing that they were, that he didn’t own the shoes. We were able to show that that’s not true and that Mr. Groden’s testimony was not credible. And I was the guy that sank it, and it* was accepted was accepted by the court and was one of many key factors in the ruling.

* The listener would tend to infer that the “it” that “was accepted by the court” was Korff’s testimony, since the words preceding the “it” are “I was the guy that sank it and.” That is the closest referent, and that is the one that listeners take to be the one being referred to. Listeners wouldn’t interpret the “it” as meaning the argument that the plaintiffs lawyers put forth that Groden’s testimony was not credible. That was the implication of the previous sentence.

(Note: For a fee, a CD or podcast of this broadcast, and other Xzone broadcasts in which Kal appeared, can be obtained from http://www.iradionow.com/Show.aspx?showcode=xzon)

But when Paul Kimball looked up the list of witnesses in that trial in Court TV’s online site, he discovered that Kal wasn’t on it. He thereupon charged that Korff—a “hard-hitting,” “holding-accountable,” “taking-no-prisoners,” “tru-sading” (his terms) stone-thrower—was secretly a sinner too.

(Gee, who’d-a-thunk it? ;) )

===============
Part 2A:
Let’s switch back to our football player. Suppose someone charged him with a similar deception, by pointing out that he wasn’t listed as a player in the Super Bowl. And let’s suppose he responded as follows:

I was a player in the game because I was on the team’s roster for that game. Not all players get called upon to go out on the field. That’s reality. So it’s outrageous to suggest that I wasn’t a player in the Super Bowl. First, I WAS on the roster of my team as a player and, second, I WAS in the Super Bowl. Here’s a photo of me in the stadium alongside the coach to prove it.

Furthermore, “my plays” were ones I suggested to the coach at crucial moments of the game, and that he sent in to the QB; they decided the game. So it’s outrageous to deny that my plays won the game—there must be a thousand newspaper stories where a “coach’s plays” are credited as being the factor that won the game.

The above is a staggering combination of quibbling and chutzpah. It shamelessly pretends that context (see below) plays no role in defining the intended meaning of a word. In this case, the context was his claiming to have been a player “in” a Super Bowl, especially claiming to have been a “key” player, which implies that he actually took the field, not that he was merely on the roster. That implication in turn supplied the context within which “my plays” implied that they were ones he personally executed, not that he merely suggested from the sidelines.
Context: 1 : the parts of a discourse that surround a word or passage and can throw light on its meaning.
--The Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Context: the language that precedes and follows a series of words, such as a particular sentence or clause. The context of a legal document is often scrutinized to shed light upon the intent of an ambiguous or obscure sentence or clause so that it may be interpreted as its drafter intended.
--The Oxford Law Encyclopedia

Ludwig Wittgenstein and a number of philosophers after him argued that “meanings” are not entities tacked onto language …. The meaning of a word—or a sentence—is its use; words mean what words do, and how they cooperate with all of the other words and sentences in a language to do their job.
--David L. Smith, Why We Lie, p. 124

=================
Part 2B:
Back to our Peruvian peas. In defending himself against Kimball’s charge, Korff (on the XZone show of the night of February 15, 2007) conceded that he didn’t actually testify as a witness in the trial, but went on to offer a quibbling defense like that of the bench-warmer’s above. Here’s what he said:

No, I never appeared before court. I never claimed that I did. So for him to expose me for never appearing before court—that’s a claim I never made.

OK, so then he [Kimball] says, “He never testified, ergo he could not, by any legal definition, be a witness.”

Well I’m sorry. The first definition of a witness, and you can look it up in any dictionary, is: Anybody who can provide a first-hand account of something. And I absolutely did. [Not really, because he was an expert, or second-hand, witness, not a material witness.]

As my information does show on the website, Kimball’s wrong, again. I coached the lawyers so that we could take down the testimony of Robert Groden …. So I did coach the lawyers.
(He stressed “did,” which amounted to a diversionary insinuation that someone had said he hadn’t done so.)

Kal’s defense ignores the role of context in determining which of the various meanings of “witness” was conveyed by his original statement. The Random House Dictionary gives five definitions of the noun form of “witness.” (Though the last two are mostly irrelevant here, I’ve included them for completeness.) The “examples” below are ones I’ve provided:

1. A person who, being present, personally sees or perceives a thing; a beholder, spectator, or eyewitness.
Example: “I was a witness to the Simpson murder.”

2. A person or thing that affords evidence.
Example: “I am an expert witness on photo-manipulation.” This is a second-hand “expert witness” who CAN testify about matters within his area of expertise.

3. A person who gives testimony, as in a court of law.
Example: “I was a witness in the OJ Simpson case.” This is a “court-case witness”: one who testified under oath in a legal proceeding.

4. A person who signs a document attesting to the genuineness of its execution.
Example: “I was a witness to her will.”

5. Testimony or evidence: to bear witness to her suffering.

The audience is guided by the context to infer which of the meanings of “witness” is the one intended. For instance, in example #4, “I was a witness to her will,” the context of “her will” and the conjunction “to” after “witness” implies that he personally signed his name to her will. It would be a dissimulation to use those words if he were a “witness” only in the sense of definition #1. I.e., if he had merely observed the signing of her will. But this is the sort of thing that Kal has done.

The conjunction chosen indicates the meaning intended. That is, you can be a witness to something, on something, or in something. For instance, to indicate you were a witness in a legal proceeding, you use the word “in”, along with the name of the proceeding. There is no justification for using that conjunction in connection with the other two sorts of witnessing. It would be misleading to use the words “in a lawsuit” if you had been only a non-testifying witness to or on something.

A witness in [a] lawsuit isn’t any old witness—i.e., one who merely has knowledge that he can testify to or about (definition #1 or #2). A witness “in a lawsuit” is one who has knowledge that he actually did testify to (definition #3). That’s its meaning, to any native-English speaker. There’s no way for a person to have been a witness in a lawsuit and not to have testified.

To sum up: You can be a witness INSIDE a trial, or one OUTSIDE a trial. If you use the word “IN” in conjunction with “witness” and the name of a trial, you are telling your audience you were a witness INSIDE a trial. “In” doesn’t mean merely peripherally involved in a trial, although perhaps “in” has that meaning in Czech. “Peripherally involved in” means OUTSIDE the trial; and if you were OUTSIDE the trial, you can’t say you were “in” it.

Korff’s other words and statements also led his audience to believe that he actually testified at the O.J. Simpson trial, namely:

1. Being “a star witness in [a] lawsuit effort” is the very opposite of being a non-testifying, behind-the-scenes, consultant-type “expert witness,” which is what he actually was. A “star” witness is one whose light has shone forth brightly for all to see, not one who has been hidden under a bushel. The Random House Dictionary gives, as its first definition for the adjectival form of “star,” the following: “celebrated, prominent, or distinguished; pre-eminent; a star basketball player; a star reporter.” No one who sat out a game would say he starred in it. (Barring Kal Korff.)

2. He said, “I was the guy that sank it” [Groden’s testimony], his “I” implying a direct involvement—i.e., a personal appearance in court.

3. Korff stated (in his comment on Paul Kimball’s December 29 blog-post), “I provided the expert testimony to tear down and tear apart Groden's testimony.” The Random House Dictionary gives two definitions of “testimony” that are relevant here:
1. Law. The statement or declaration of a witness under oath or affirmation, usually in court.
2. Evidence in support of a fact or opinion; proof.”
Korff provided testimony only in the second sense. I.e., he “testified” to the plaintiff’s lawyers his reasons for thinking that Groden’s interpretation was wrong (definition #2). But the word “testimony” is rarely used nowadays in that sense—for merely offering an opinion when not under oath.

In addition to that, definition #1 is what an audience will be led to infer when a courtroom context is provided—especially when there’s other context supporting that inference, such as a claim that “I was a key witness in [a] lawsuit,” and a mention of tearing down “Groden’s testimony,” which was courtroom testimony. Korff’s equivocal use of words once again misled his readers.

Notice also his lawyerly phraseology, which gave him an escape hatch if he were accused of being misleading:

• He didn’t say “lawsuit,” but “lawsuit effort.”
• He didn’t say, “I testified,” but “I provided the testimony.”
• He didn’t say “key witness,” but “key, expert witness.”

Only a lawyer’s ears would prick up at that unnecessary verbiage, because only a lawyer is trained to examine phraseology with a microscope, looking for hidden qualifications and wiggle room. 99% of Kal’s listeners would pass it off as his normal verbosity and miss his sleight of hand. They’d think, for instance, that “lawsuit effort” meant “lawsuit,” and that “key, expert witness” meant “a key expert witness,” not “an expert-witness consultant who was a key in the plaintiff-lawyers’ effort to win a lawsuit.”

These weasel words to allowed him to “act innocent” later if it became necessary. (Answers.com defines weasel word as: “An equivocal word used to deprive a statement of its force or to evade a direct commitment.”)

Kimball unfortunately failed to deconstruct Korff’s linguistic shell-game. I.e., he didn’t point out Korff’s misuse of context to convey a misleading impression. He merely insisted that “witness” meant a witness in a courtroom, period. Thus he had no counter to Korff’s sophistical insistence that “witness” did NOT necessarily mean a courtroom witness. This is the counter I’ve provided here: “I was a witness in a lawsuit” or “I was a star witness” can mean only a courtroom witness—i.e., one who testified.

=========
Part 3: Summing up for the Prosecution
Korff said:
No, I never appeared before court. I never claimed that I did. So for him to expose me for never appearing before court—that’s a claim I never made.
Not in so many words, not explicitly—but he made that claim implicitly, by saying “witness in a trial.” Misleading people in this fashion is just a slicker version of outright lying:
Lying in the grand manner, the red-blooded and wholly outrageous disregard of truth, is certainly on its deathbed if not in its grave. No longer do we propagate a whopper and then bolster it up by a whole series of more outlandish perjuries. Oscar Wilde’s diagnosis was correct. The decay of lying—of the healthy, hearty variety—was chronic and has, alas, proved fatal.

Yet the apprentice prevaricator with an eye to the future need not lose hope. Nothing is more certain than that falsehood crushed to earth will rise again. And today the lie, entrenched for centuries in the social field, has finally blossomed anew.
………………………….
Almost unnoticed the new school of false witness has sprung into being, remarkable even now for its subtlety, for its enormous ramifications and for its well-nigh limitless possibilities. It combines the ulterior motive of propaganda with the joyous self-aggrandizement of the classical school of misrepresentation, and has the clear advantage over other types in leaving the not-too-astute conscience immaculate. The meticulous creation of a sound false impression has already been elevated to the realm of Art.
…………………………
And the beauty of the art is that not one word is uttered which in itself isn’t straight and aboveboard gospel truth. The liar actually does no lying: the li-ee is merely led gradually to a wholly inaccurate conclusion, and the responsibility is his all the way through.
—Edward Acheson, “New Deal in Lying,” Coronet, February 1939

===============
Part 4: Potential “Judges”

You will get 1,700,000 hits if you type “expert witness directories” into Goggle, or if you click on the link below:
expert witness directories - Google Search

There are scores of such directories. They each list the names of numerous experts who are prepared to testify as expert witness. Under each name is a description of the expert’s qualifications. These entries are cobbled together by the directories’ copy editors out of raw material provided by the experts themselves. (Presumably in response to a questionnaire.)

A listee’s qualifications sometimes include an indication of how often he has testified, and occasionally the notable cases in which he did so. Lawyers prefer to hire an expert who has actually taken the stand, especially in “big” cases, because that is a clue that he sounds credible and can “take the heat.” Listees who claim such experience gain an edge, because they are more impressive, IOW.

I’ll eat a bug if any of the directories’ editors and readers wouldn’t consider themselves misled if a listee stated that he had been a witness in a certain trial, when he had actually only been consulted by the lawyers. (It would matter not a whit if he had been an uncalled on-call witness.) Such a listee would, I am sure, be severely reprimanded, and perhaps delisted, with the unanimous backing of the other listees.

This can be put to the test by polling the top dozen directories in Google’s search-results list about their opinion on my claim above. Their e-mail addresses could be obtained from their sites.

Similar e-mails could be sent to legal advice columnists, many of whom can be found online by plucking appropriate items from a Google search for “(legal advice OR law) (column OR columnist)”. Here’s a link with that search built in:
(legal advice OR law) (column OR columnist) - Google Search

And the faculty of law schools, or law-journal editors could be polled. I suggest PK start with his alma mater.

+++++++++++++

Note (for the sake of completeness): You can also say you were a witness for something, such as “I was a witness for the prosecution.” This implies a legal proceeding too, when a trial-related term like “prosecution” is used.

Another PS (added August 25): “at” can be a synonym for “in,” when used in a phrase like, “I was a witness at the OJ Simpson civil lawsuit.”

Part 2 of this article, when I get around to it, will examine the non-central issues in this dispute.

RK:

Very exhaustive, but I stand by my original point - the very essense of being a witness, especially an expert witness, is that you testified at a trial, under oath, subject to cross-examination. Korff's weasel-words are simply not relevant, so I chose not to deconstruct them, because as soon as he used the word "witness" in the context of a trial, it is my opinion (backed up by any legal dictionary you care to look at) that he was making, as Stan Friedman would say, a "false claim". Alas, his ego just can't stand being called on his false claims, which has led him to spend much of his time since trying to weasel his way out of what was clearly an exaggeration. If only he had said, "I was a consultant..."

Making it even worse is the FACT (as Kal would say) that only a court of law, after a voir dire, can qualify a person as an "expert witness".

I could go on, but why bother? ;-)

Paul

Back