• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter -- September 30, 2012

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
September 30, 2012

Our Amazing Paranormal Universe Explored with Brad Steiger

Special Announcement: The Paracast is heard Sundays from 2:00 AM until 5:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

Please Send a Donation to The Paracast: Although ads help cover a small part of our expenses, the income they produce is never enough to pay your humble hosts decent wages. Also, we do not receive any revenue from the ads placed on the show by our network or local stations. So we hope you're able to help fill the gap, if you can, to help us cover increasing server costs and other expenses -- or perhaps provide a little extra cash for lunch and utility bills. No contribution is too small (or too large :). We have a Donate link on our home page, below the logo and audio player. There's also a Donate link on our forums, at the bottom of the sidebar on the right. Or just send your PayPal donation direct to sales (at) theparacast (dot) com.

Attention U.S. Listeners: Help Us Bring The Paracast to Your City! In the summer of 2010, The Paracast joined the GCN radio network. This represented a huge step in bringing our show to a larger, mainstream audience. But we need your help to add additional affiliates to our growing network. Please ask one of your local talk stations if they are interested in carrying The Paracast. Feel free to contact us directly with the names of programming people we might be able to contact on your behalf. We can't do this alone, and if you succeed in convincing your local station to carry the show, we'll reward you with one of our special T-shirts, and other goodies. With your help, The Paracast can grow into one of the most popular paranormal shows on the planet!

Please Visit Our Online Store: You asked, and we answered. We are now taking orders for The Official Paracast T-Shirt and an expanded collection of other specially customized merchandise. To get your T-Shirt now featuring our brand new logo, just pay a visit to our online store at The Official Paracast Store to select your size and place your order. We also offer a complete lineup of other premium merchandise for your family, your friends and your business contacts.

About The Paracast: The Paracast covers a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions across the planet.

Set Up: The Paracast is a paranormal radio show that takes you on a journey to a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions. The Paracast seeks to shed light on the mysteries and complexities of our Universe and the secrets that surround us in our everyday lives.

Join long-time paranormal researcher Gene Steinberg, co-host and acclaimed field investigator Christopher O'Brien, and a panel of special guest experts and experiencers, as they explore the realms of the known and unknown. Listen each week to the great stories of the history of the paranormal field in the 20th and 21st centuries.

This Week's Episode: Gene and Chris present prolific author Brad Steiger about some of his recent books, such as the Second Edition of his fascinating work on shape-shifters, entitled "The Werewolf Book: The Encyclopedia of Shape-Shifting Beings", and the Second Edition of "Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places." We'll also be talking about UFOs, space mysteries and conspiracy theories.

Christopher O'Brien's Site: Our Strange Planet

Brad and Sherry Steiger's Site: Brad Steiger and Sherry Hansen Steiger

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums. We recently completed a major update that makes our community easier to navigate, and social network friendly.

Another Rant About UFO Misdirection
By Gene Steinberg

Consider the reports of UFO landings, during which small humanoids emerge and take some soil samples. After a while, they reenter their spaceship and leave to parts unknown. Clearly that’s how the movie “ET: The Extraterrestrial” was inspired. Yet other UFOs engage in curious cat and mouse games with our own flying machines.

Regardless of the shenanigans in which they are involved, it almost seems as if the UFOs are stuck in a loop. They just keep repeating the same actions over and over again, and you have to wonder why it plays out that way.

Think of the conventional wisdom about UFOs, that they are visitors from another planet, no doubt orbiting a far-off star system. Now I expect that it requires a great deal of resources to mount an expedition that will span a number of light years. Sure, perhaps they have perfected warp drive – something our own scientists are actually looking at seriously nowadays – but how many craft would be expected to make the trip?

If you believe that even less than 5% of reported UFO cases are real, we are talking of huge numbers of spaceships being present in our atmosphere. Perhaps we are being visited by lifeforms that come from different planets, or even different countries or tribes on a single planet. Maybe our petty squabbles are a source of entertainment to various species from around the universe, but it’s hard to guess their true motives.

On the other hand, if the aliens simply want to explore our world for scientific purposes, how often do they have to repeat the same experiments, often at the same locales, before they have enough data to evaluate? Why even send living creatures, when samples of soil, and perhaps lifeforms, can be done via remote control? Consider our own primitive attempts to gather evidence of life on Mars.

Now some of you might mention UFO abductions, where people are kidnapped, sometimes from the sanctity of their own bedrooms, taken aboard a spacecraft and sometimes subjected to painful medical tests. Perhaps this behavior would make sense on a few occasions, with males, females, and members of different races. ET wants to get a full picture of human life on Earth, even if the methodology is intrusive. But how often do they have to take those specimens before they have the full picture. I mean, some suggest that millions of Earthlings have been abducted. Where’s the logic in that, or is there something more, or different, actually involved in these frightening episodes?

Of course, I’m assuming the creatures you see in connection with UFOs are living in the sense we understand the term, and not just robots. But we may reach a point in our medical and technical development where the difference may not be significant.

I’m getting to my point, though slowly. Why should it be necessary for extraterrestrial explorers to simply repeat the same acts over and over again, year after year? What a waste of time and energy.

That assumes, however, that we are talking of physical visitations by physical beings that, in a rough sense, behave in a logical fashion. Or at least what we might consider logic, and that could be a stretch. But what if what we see and sometimes directly experience is little more than a show that’s designed to direct your attention from what’s really going on?

Beginning in the TV series, “Star Trek: Next Generation,” fans of the show were treated to stories about the “holodeck,” a place where computerized environments were created that seemed totally real according to one’s senses. Sure, that’s fiction, but how much of a stretch is it to imagine such a thing happening in real life? What if the forces behind the UFOs are just sending us projections to draw our attention away from – what? It’s a mistake to assume that everything we see, and even our personal interactions with those unknown forces, are real in the sense that we accept real.

Let’s also consider the possibility that the UFO phenomenon, and, in fact, all sorts of paranormal phenomena, are themselves reflective. They validate your beliefs and expectations. So if you have grown up in a culture that accepts the existence of space travel, and the possibility of life from outer space, you expect that they might come a calling, just as we’d visit them if we could.

But if you lived at a time where people believed in magical creatures, such as leprechauns, fairies and elves, the strange phenomena that they encountered would tend to confirm their beliefs and expectations. In Biblical times, we were visited by messengers from heaven. You get the picture.

Of course, if confronted with the unknown, we might be hard wired to interpret the experience in accordance with our culture and upbringing. It may well be true that UFOs and all sorts of paranormal occurrences remain beyond our understanding. So our subconscious attempts to interpret the experiences in ways that we can understand.

Or we are just watching a fake event, generated for our benefit, or theirs? The core question here is whether we are seeing such phenomena in its true form, whether we are interpreting it in a way we understand, or whether that experience has been deliberately manipulated for our benefit.

Alas, in the UFO field, these are the questions that are seldom asked. Far too many of you will accept things at face value, not considering other possibilities. Maybe that’s why this research is taking us nowhere.

The Paracast Copyright 1999-2012 Making The Impossible, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Very interesting post gene, if not only because you used a word I never thought of when it comes to these repetitive saucer and occupant sightings and that word was loop. I was always of the mind that these constant visits were being staged for our benefit. I think it was john keel, who first noted the apparent association between those "soil sample sightings" and nearby hauntings or cryptids sightings and i believe in one of his books, he suggested that perhaps the hauntings aspect in these cases were perhaps a decoy to let the saucer guys do their work unmolested...or maybe it was the other way around...either way I'm not one to think this would be the case...but if repetitive loop hauntings can be hypothesized to be the residual energy of an event that happened some time ago and its possible there is a strong relationship between ufos and paranormal hauntings perhaps the repetitive saucer landings are of the same nature. The actual event occurred some time ago and what we are witnessing is the left over energy of that event. Probably not, because most the accounts I've heard the subjects and craft had a tangible nature to them, hauntings less so, but has there ever been any saucer/occupant sightings that had an ephemeral quality to them, like they were there but not really? I'm sure I have read of a few cases where a "ghostly" entity had a corporeal tangible aspect to it.

I'll summarize here what I believe is the most rational explanation for the questions posed. Most of our assumptions are based on our own relationship with time and space. However we're dealing with something alien, something that comes from another place and that may have a completely different relationship with time. By relationship with time I mean that our perception of time is based on our environment and our biological and psychological relationship to it. Let's suppose that the aliens have very long lifespans and come from a planet that orbits its star at a different rate. What is for us a thousand years might seem like only a few months to them. So experiments that would for them seem like decades might be like millennia to us. And if we were the subject of such experiments it would only be natural to repeat those experiments over and over through the generations, monitoring us as our civilization grows and advances. Like any other experiment, it would be prudent not to let the subjects out of the maze ( so to speak ), or for that matter even allow the subjects to become aware that they are in a maze. So they insulate themselves from us by withholding the evidence we need to prove their existence while at the same time applying various stimuli to provide data for their experiments. These stimuli include such things as UFO encounters and other types of paranormal phenomena that let us get close ... but not so close that we can secure the evidence we need to convince others what is really going on. Will our relationship with these aliens ever evolve beyond that of just another indigenous species? I hope so and I hope it's positive. I've looked up through the glass beyond the maze. I know they are out there. So do many other people. What we don't know is the point of the experiment. Is it to evoke acceptance of their existence prior to contact? Is it mere curiosity? Or is is something more diabolical?

Thats my view as well.
Trying to make what imo is most likely of a non terrestrial source, "fit" into our limited terrestrial pov is likely to be doomed from the outset.

Thats not to say we could never "understand" the phenomena, but it may mean we have to find new labels to describe the reality, rather than trying to force a description from the ones we currently have.
As biological beings who travel in structured vehicles in the axis of distance and linear time, we want to reconcile the enigma in those terms. That may not be possible.

For as long as you try and fit a square peg in a triangular hole, you will be frustrated at the result

Lets take the soil sampling example.

From our POV soil has a number of functions, you can walk on it, you can build on it and you can grow things in it.

So we test to see what its made of, puliversised rock if so what sort of rock, or decayed vegatable matter, and we test its PH and other chemical constituants.

We use carbon dating to measure how old a thing is.

Is it possible a race that travels in space and time, might use soil samples to tell then "when" they are.
Is it possible that there is a measurable feature of matter than allows you to test for and determine how far up the timeline you are from the big bang ?

In that context it makes perfect sense to take a soil sample everytime you land in order to calibrate "when" you are.

We dont have any need to test for "when" we are, we know when we are, Today is the day after yesterday and the day before tomorrow, time is a contigious line and thus its very easy to measure when we are on that line.
But if unlike us you were jumping to various points along that line backwards and forwards, you may want to use a sample to test "when" you are in the universe.

Now some of you might mention UFO abductions, where people are kidnapped, sometimes from the sanctity of their own bedrooms, taken aboard a spacecraft and sometimes subjected to painful medical tests. Perhaps this behavior would make sense on a few occasions, with males, females, and members of different races. ET wants to get a full picture of human life on Earth, even if the methodology is intrusive. But how often do they have to take those specimens before they have the full picture. I mean, some suggest that millions of Earthlings have been abducted. Where’s the logic in that, or is there something more, or different, actually involved in these frightening episodes?

Given current understanding of the function of Gynae exams, it doesnt does it.

But consider

Scientists have for the first time used DNA to encode the contents of a book. At 53,000 words, and including 11 images and a computer program, it is the largest amount of data yet stored artificially using the genetic material.
The researchers claim that the cost of DNA coding is dropping so quickly that within five to 10 years it could be cheaper to store information using this method than in conventional digital devices.
Book written in DNA code | Science | The Guardian

Doesnt it make sense that if they are using us as a storage medium, that the data being copied via procreation is "clearer" in sperm and egg tissue ?

Why assume they are taking specimens to figure out how our mechanisms work, for all we know they designed the mechanism.

Given our own breakthroughs in this area, what we might be looking at, is simple data retreival

A visit to the library.

Is it possible some human bloodlines are encoded with their history, others with their science, others with the combined works of ET shakespere ?

DNA has long been known to be an almost unbelievably efficient information storage medium. With 3.2 million base pairs in a strand of 20-25,000 genes, your DNA stores 800 gigabytes of data in a literally microscopic amount of space. Compare that with 50 gigabytes for your average Blu-Ray disc, or perhaps a terabyte for the hard disk in your computer — neither of which are microscopic — and you can see the appeal of learning to read and write DNA.
Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/22/running-out-of-hard-drive-space-insert-dna-here/#rChIZLoLHdy3Z7hb.99

If all you "see" in the abduction accounts are "gynaecological exams" you might be correct in saying that makes no sense.
But in the context of data storage........ it all makes perfect sense.

But its only very recently our own technology has given us the lexicon, the technical jargon to describe a possible reason for this alleged activity.

The knowledge could be split amoung bloodlines and even species, just as our librarys store different collections of data on different books/volumes.

And if its a biostorage system we are talking about, the eggs and sperm of the storage devices might be the best place to do a parity check. when you think about it they are the file allocation tables. From these two cells, and entire bioform is built, including any and all data stored in its DNA.............

Even more importantly, the data can be re-written multiple times with no performance or integrity degradation. That’s critical for their long-term objectives: “extending computing and control methods to the study and engineering of many biological systems.”
Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/22/running-out-of-hard-drive-space-insert-dna-here/#rChIZLoLHdy3Z7hb.99

I couldnt agree more Gene,
I'm of the mind that if we look at the alleged enigma through history, we see a pattern of trying to reconcile it from within the knowledge/perception box's of the time. And failing as a result.

To a degree thats still the case, but our knowledge base is slowly closing the gap.

I see people all the time getting frustrated because the data wont fit into the box of human experience.

But really, why would it ?

When looking at a technology you do not posses or understand, it will never "fit" your understanding.

heres an example

UFOs Are Real, Should Be Studied, Says Ex-Project Blue Book Director Col. Robert Friend

No dispute from me here

I, for one, also believe that the probability of there being life elsewhere in this big cosmos is just absolutely out of this world -- I think the probability is there."

Yep, its a numbers game. i find the odds there are better than the odds there are not.

Do I believe that we have been visited? No, I don't believe that," he said. "And the reason I don't believe it is because I can't conceive of any of the ways in which we could overcome some of these things: How much food would you have to take with you on a trip for 22 years through space? How much fuel would you need? How much oxygen or other things to sustain life do you have to have?"

Classic mistake here though, trying to force the data into the human model ie finite lifespan,need for food, oxygen, fuel.

UFOs Are Real, Should Be Studied, Says Ex-Project Blue Book Director Col. Robert Friend

How much "fuel" did a coal powered steamer need to cross the atlantic ?
How much "fuel" does a Nuc powered sub need to go the same distance ?

And the Lee makes the same point i do

But would those same issues apply equally to an advanced civilization that may have already overcome the hazards of traveling through interstellar space?

Thats what i find frustrating, its people who unable to make the data fit into their "box" of human knowledge, and then use that result to say "therefore it cant be happening"

"I dont know" is the correct answer when this happens not, "we cant have been visited because that result doesnt match our understanding of speed/distance/provisions/fuel etc.

Thinking outside the box isnt hard, its a just a blend of curiosity and imagination.
Coincidentally enough they are also the basis of many scientific advances.

Back