• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — September 20, 2015

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
September 20, 2015
www.theparacast.com

Discover How to Harness Your Psychic Abilities on The Paracast

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

Announcing The Paracast+: We have another radio show, and for a low monthly or annual subscription fee, you will receive access to After The Paracast, plus a higher-quality version of The Paracast without the network ads, and chat rooms. NEW! We’ve added an RSS feed for fast updates of the latest episodes and we give free ebooks for long-term subscriptions. A Paracast+ video channel is coming soon. For more information about our premium package, please visit: Introducing The Paracast+ | The Paracast — The Gold Standard of Paranormal Radio.

This Week's Episode: Gene and Chris present Rosemary Ellen Guiley to discuss her book, "Guide to Psychic Power," which is presented as "a complete, step-by-step guide to developing and using your natural psychic power. Every person is born with natural psychic ability, also called intuition. You can easily improve your psychic power. This comprehensive guide…will show you how." Guiley is the author of nine encyclopedias and over 50 books. She is an internationally recognized expert in the paranormal and the occult.

Chris O’Brien’s Site: Our Strange Planet

Rosemary Ellen Guiley’s Site: Rosemary Ellen Guiley | Paranormal Research | Ghosts & Hauntings - Visionary Living

After The Paracast -- Available exclusively to Paracast+ subscribers on September 20:Gene and Chris discuss the passing of Walt Andrus, founder of MUFON. Chris explains how he came to be banned as a speaker at MUFON conferences, although he did once get the chance to appear at one at a lower profile session. Gene also brings up the late Jim Moseley’s back and forth experience as a sometimes member of the organization. Chris discusses his concerns over the years about MUFON’s work, and about the “black hole” where data goes on, but not as much comes out. What about his conspiracy theory about the organization? Chris also recounts his experiences as a reader of Tarot cards, including his background in what he calls “magical training and education,” and how he first acquired or harnessed the ability to do those readings. You’ll also hear a brief update on the San Luis Valley camera project.

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums.

A Day in 1975
By Gene Steinberg

Those were the days, but they weren’t always happy. It was late 1975, the days were growing longer, and my business wasn’t doing so well. After taking a hiatus from broadcasting, I had teamed up with a local newspaper reporter to create a typography studio known as Project 3. We set it up in a small office at an industrial park that was located in Exton, PA., a little over 30 miles from Philadelphia.

Success wasn’t in the cards. My marriage had recently ended, so I wasn’t in a good place emotionally. The new venture was severely undercapitalized. We had taken a far too conservative approach in seeking a bank loan to finance our new company. It would have been far better to shoot for the stars, but that was a lesson I had yet to learn.

In any case, I had the promise of some better opportunities in New York. It was a sure thing that, unless we had a big cash infusion to save Project 3, it would soon go under. I had to make a fast decision, but I didn’t know which way to go. Should I stick with it, hoping the cash flow would improve, or just make a clean break?

Well, one day, I paid a visit to a close friend, Penny Novak, who is to this day quite active in the Pagan community. I explained my dilemma, and she promptly took out her favorite Tarot card deck and proceeded to give me a reading.

The most notable outcome was the observation that, if I did make the move to the Big Apple, I’d be “plying my trade.” Well, that was better than nothing, but what sort of “trade” did that result signify?

This is the curious part: We were seated in her living room. I sat on a large, comfortable sofa and listened carefully. As soon as Penny’s reading was over, I promptly fell asleep for several hours.

But why? It wasn’t that I wasn’t physically tired, though my business troubles had exhausted me mentally. When I awoke, Penny told me that she had, in part, probably used my energy as a focal point to get an accurate reading.

So what would I do?

Now I suppose I could have returned to broadcasting. I had done pretty well at my last gig, at WCOJ in Coatesville, PA, a fairly well-rated station in the Philadelphia suburbs, but it all ended with a big argument with one of the co-owners.

I built up a solid reputation for broadcast news, though, and thus I assumed it would not be hard to land a position at another station. But the life of a broadcaster can be nomadic, and it was not at all certain where I’d end up if I began to send our resumes and audition tapes. The reason that I stuck it out in Pennsylvania was that I had grown tired of moving, on short notice, from state to state. Traveling to the New York area would put me in friendly surroundings, because of the proximity of a number of close relatives. The very thought felt comforting.

Well, I had my answers soon enough. I forced a sale of my share of the business to my partner for a fairly low price and began to pack. Armed with a little financial help from my family, and some physical help from my dad, I moved to a one-bedroom apartment in New Jersey, a short distance from the Hudson River. I was about to begin a new life.

So how did I “ply my trade”?

Well, I did make the effort to establish myself as a freelance writer, but that is usually a second profession. I needed a day job, and so I checked the want ads in the local papers, finally ending up with a position at a nearby typesetting studio. So I was able to apply the skills I learned from my own business and take home a regular weekly paycheck.

Thus was I “plying my trade.”

Now typesetters were nomadic as well, often moving from job to job in search of something bigger and better. I was also a quick study when it came to electronics, particularly those involving computers. So I was able to move up the ladder, and eventually landed a spot at a large typesetting firm in the heart of Manhattan. Indeed, for the next 15 years, I found myself working at firms located only blocks apart. I actually worked for two different companies that were located right next door to UFO researcher Tim Beckley’s apartment off Fifth Avenue.

Newly remarried, I did not aggressively seek a radio job – or even a TV gig – because I wanted a little stability in my life. Even though I had several typesetting jobs over the years, the pay was steady and, with long hours, helped put a few extra dollars in the bank.

So how did I get from there to here?

Well, the arrival of the Apple Macintosh personal computer in the mid-1980s meant the beginning of the end for traditional typesetting studios. Instead of spending up to six figures for large phototypesetting gear, a company could save money by using Macs as a front end to high-end output machines. Rather than do all the text entry and document formatting, it became possible for ad agencies, publishers and other businesses to do it for themselves.

It was the start of the desktop publishing revolution.

The rest of my story is fairly straightforward. I took my business home, and, as typography gigs faded, I exploited my growing expertise on Macintosh computers and received regular writing assignments from Macworld and other publications. That led to writing computer books as well.

In 1999, I began the technightowl.live blog. In 2002, the owner of a small radio network wrote me asking if I’d like to host and produce a show on personal technology. Thus began The Tech Night Owl LIVE, which beat the podcast revolution by several years.

After a year or two, I broke away from the network for reasons that are too complicated to explain and went out on my own. The Paracast began in 2006.

It has all come full circle. But it all started with a Tarot card reading, and a few hour’s sleep.

Copyright 1999-2015 The Paracast LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Back