• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — September 15, 2013

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
September 15, 2013

MUFON's Executive Director Interviewed on The Paracast

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 2:00 AM until 5:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

Why It's Important for You to Donate to The Paracast: Although ads help cover a small part of our expenses, the income they produce is never enough to pay your humble hosts decent wages. Also, we do not receive any revenue from the ads placed on the show by our network or local stations. So we hope you're able to help fill the gap, if you can, to help us cover increasing server costs and other expenses -- or perhaps provide a little extra cash for lunch and utility bills. No contribution is too small (or too large :). It’s easy to send a donation. We have a Donatelink on our home page, below the logo and audio player. There's also a Donate link on our forums, at the bottom of the sidebar on the right. Or just send your PayPal donation direct to sales (at) theparacast (dot) com. And if you’ve had a problem getting to our Donate screen, please try again. We just fixed a serious PayPal access problem, and it should wor k properly now.

Attention U.S. Listeners: Help Us Bring The Paracast to Your City! In the summer of 2010, The Paracast joined the GCN radio network. This represented a huge step in bringing our show to a larger, mainstream audience. But we need your help to add additional affiliates to our growing network. Please ask one of your local talk stations if they are interested in carrying The Paracast. Feel free to contact us directly with the names of programming people we might be able to contact on your behalf. We can't do this alone, and if you succeed in convincing your local station to carry the show, we'll reward you with one of our special T-shirts, and other goodies. With your help, The Paracast can grow into one of the most popular paranormal shows on the planet!

Please Visit Our Online Store: You asked, and we answered. We are now taking orders for The Official Paracast T-Shirt and an expanded collection of other specially customized merchandise. To get your T-Shirt now featuring our brand new logo, just pay a visit to our online store at The Official Paracast Store to select your size and place your order. We also offer a complete lineup of other premium merchandise for your family, your friends and your business contacts.

About The Paracast: The Paracast covers a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions across the planet.

Set Up: The Paracast is a paranormal radio show that takes you on a journey to a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions. The Paracast seeks to shed light on the mysteries and complexities of our Universe and the secrets that surround us in our everyday lives.

Join long-time paranormal researcher Gene Steinberg, co-host and acclaimed field investigator Christopher O'Brien, and a panel of special guest experts and experiencers, as they explore the realms of the known and unknown. Listen each week to the great stories of the history of the paranormal field in the 20th and 21st centuries.

This Week's Episode: Gene and Chris present the new Executive Director for MUFON, the Mutual UFO Network, Jan Harzan. Is he the right person to bring MUFON back from the brink of controversy? Harzan is been interested in UFO for years, the result of significant sighting when he was a child. He is a retired IBM executive, and previously headed the Orange County, CA MUFON chapter for a number of years.

Chris O'Brien's Site: http://www.ourstrangeplanet.com

MUFON: MUFON | The Mutual UFO Network

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums. We recently completed a major update that makes our community easier to navigate, and social network friendly.

The Early Exposure to UFOs
By Gene Steinberg

As many of you listeners know, I first heard about UFOs, or flying saucers, when I was 11 years of age. My brother oh-so-conveniently left a copy of Major Donald Keyhoe’s “Flying Saucers from Outer Space” on the coffee table of his first apartment in Brooklyn, New York. I was curious enough to ask his wife (he was at work at the time) if I could borrow that book and, and she said yes.

Now I cannot say that my brother anticipated my mom and I would visit his home that afternoon, or how I’d react after reading the book. He’s no longer around to explain, but I was hooked. After school, I’d travel to bookstores in search of more works on the subject. As I grew older, my interest intensified, and, just a few years later, I got involved in the so-called “teen Ufology” movement.

Now I wasn’t unique. An early exposure to information about UFOs, or even a sighting, may be sufficient cause to change one’s life. Consider that my co-host, Chris O’Brien, had a pre-teen paranormal encounter, as did The Paracast’s original co-host, David Biedny.

As I continue to interview people involved in UFO research on the show, it is interesting to observe how many had sightings when they were quite young. Some even claim to have been abducted by strange creatures, usually in connection with the appearance of a UFO, at even earlier ages. To be sure, an experience of this significance is apt to be extremely frightening, and may do lasting harm, particularly if the entities or beings engage in invasive medical testing. How could it be otherwise?

So, upon interviewing Jan Harzan, the newly-appointed Executive Director of MUFON, for this week’s episode, I wasn’t terribly surprised to discover that he and his brother shared a close encounter with a flying saucer before he was ten years of age. As you’ll learn when you listen to the show, this and some other experiences literally determined the course of his life. Thinking there was a possible nuclear-powered element to the UFO he saw, he ended up earning a degree in nuclear engineering.

Now I suppose it’s easy to suggest that any important event in one’s childhood, good or bad, is apt to influence their lives from then on. So someone who was witness to a serious crime might choose to go into law enforcement to bring law breakers to justice. Some unfortunate souls take the reverse path.

Being particularly excited by a baseball game might influence someone to try their hand at becoming a player, and a very few manage to take that experience and bring it all the way to the major leagues.

But sometimes you wonder whether there’s something ever-so-deliberate about the presence of UFOs, and whether they are truly aware that they, whoever and whatever they are, are being observed. That explains the occasional cat and mouse game with UFOs and airplanes, or when UFOs follow someone’s car.

If it’s just a curious coincidence, you wonder why UFOs would care so much to engage in this sort of behavior. How many airplanes do they need to shadow to understand our defense capabilities, and how many cars do they need to chase to realize that our terrestrial transportation systems, by and large, employ technology first invented in the 19th century?

So if UFOs had a hostile intent, they probably realized long ago that we couldn’t defend ourselves against them, although we are doing better in developing the machines of warfare each and every year. Of course, some might suggest that at least a few of those inventions were the end result of reverse engineering an advanced alien technology, although that has yet to be proven.

Certainly if UFOs are piloted by advanced creatures (or robotic entities) from other planets, they would realize the impact on the individuals who witness them. If they are here for exploration, they’d soon come to understand the psychological makeup of humanity, and would behave accordingly. But that also assumes they aren’t just playing mind games with the primitive inhabitants of a backwards planet.

But what if they had a larger purpose, which would be to somehow influence large numbers of people to become interested in science, engineering, philosophy, religion, and even UFOs? What if they were here to make us think about something? It would seem that, if there’s a message behind the appearance of UFOs, it would be to show us the future direction of our civilization.

Of course, I present this theory not as something you should take seriously, but merely as a possibility. I would also assume that ET, if that’s what’s truly behind the presence of UFOs on Earth, doesn’t have a prime directive not to interfere with the locals. Even a single sighting that anyone witnesses constitutes interference.

Consider the last “Star Trek” movie, “Star Trek Into Darkness.” This is a bit of a spoiler, but the opening sequence depicts the starship Enterprise immersed in a river, as Spock is struggling to prevent a volcanic eruption that would cause death and destruction to the inhabitants of that far-off planet. During one scene, the Enterprise is seen by the locals rising from the waters, and you can imagine the impact.

So much for the “Prime Directive,” and you can bet that Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock were appropriately disciplined for violating that edict upon their return to Earth headquarters.

Call it a thought experiment, but is it at all possible that we see UFOs not because we happen to be in the right place at the right time, but as the result of a deliberate act to change our destinies? If UFOs are here to make us think, what do they want us to think about? World peace?

Is there truly a message implicit in their presence?

I don’t claim that this theory is in any way original. The late sci-fi and paranormal editor Ray Palmer once said that the flying saucers were here to make us think. It’s an idea that, decades later, is still worth considering seriously.

Copyright 1999-2013 Making The Impossible, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Though the skeptics would claim otherwise, whatever the intent of UFOs, there's little doubt that their presence has made us think. Perhaps that's why the religious anti-ufology crowd call them "transports from Hell". Was it not the serpent ( reptilian ) who tempted Eve to eat from the Tree of Knowledge? Maybe today the aliens continue to dangle their craft before us like the forbidden fruit, challenging us to learn. As much as the skeptics want to dismiss UFOs, the ongoing battle to reveal the truth about them forces us ( or at least some of us ) to focus even harder, advocating the use of tools like science and critical thinking to inch us that few millimeters closer to piercing the veil. Then again, maybe UFOs have no intent at all because they're robotically controlled, and they simply perform their designated scanning maneuvers whenever they encounter a certain type of thing. Whatever the case, when you get a good look at one you're never the same, and if it happened when you were a child back in Early Modern Era, it was immediately absorbed into your worldview. There's was no doubting. You simply grew up knowing.

Last edited:
I'm still new to the Forums. I hope you ask what might seem to be an obvious question to tomorrow's guest? Or has it already been recorded? Here goes: I'd like to hear many more details regarding his and his brpther's close encounter when they were very young. -- Lou

Great Paracast news letter Gene and always thought these so called encounters from ? were very dangerous rather than marshmallow sweeties and thought Star Trek modern movies are outstanding and hope many more are produce.

Back