• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — May 22, 2022

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
The Paracast Newsletter
May 22, 2022

www.theparacast.com

Producers of the Award-Winning UFO Documentary, "A Tear in the Sky," David Altman and Dave Mason, Reveal Details on The Paracast!

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

THIS IS IMPORTANT! YOU CAN SUPPORT THE PARACAST AND ENJOY THE ULTIMATE PARACAST EXPERIENCE AT A SPECIAL LOW PRICE! We have another radio show and we’d love for you listen to it. So for a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an exclusive podcast, After The Paracast, plus an enhanced version of The Paracast with the network ads removed, when you join The Paracast+. We also offer a special RSS feed for easy updates of the latest episodes on your device. Flash! Use the coupon code ufo20 to receive a 20% discount on five-year or lifetime subscriptions. And PayPal now accepts cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin, in payment. And if you don't want to use PayPal, we now also offer a second payment option, from Stripe, that accepts major credit or debit cards, Apple Pay and Google Pay. For "qualified users," you can now take advantage of Pay Later options, so act now! For the easiest signup ever, please visit: https://www.theparacast.plus

This Week's Episode: Gene and special cohost Tim Swartz present David Altman and Dave Mason, producers of A Tear in the Sky,an award-winning documentary, which takes you on an unprecedented journey into the UFO / UAP phenomenon. In the film, a team of military personnel, scientists and special guest William Shatner attempted to re-capture, in real time, the US Navy “TicTac” UFOs and other space anomalies, using state-of-the-art, military-grade equipment and technology. What they found instead are thought-provoking clues into the true nature of the UFO phenomenon and the very fabric of our spacetime reality. During this interview, Mason also disassembles questionable claims about reverse engineering alleged UFO technology discovered on a crashed spaceship. He has created and engineered many new inventions to detect and communicate in multiple spectrum's with unknown objects. Altman has worked in Hollywood for over 20 years, and currently does consultant and development work for different networks and production companies on the topics of UFOs and other amazing topics.

After The Paracast — Available exclusively for Paracast+ subscribers on May 22: We are rejoined by David Altman and Dave Mason, producers of the award-winning UFO documentary, A Tear in the Sky, which features a team of military personnel, scientists and special guest William Shatner. Speaking with Gene and guest cohost Tim Swartz, the pair focus again on reverse technology of possible crash UFOs as Gene presents his reality check on the 1948 Aztec, NM UFO crash. The discussion turns to pop culture, the origins of the original Star Trek sci-fi TV show, and the newest entrant in the franchise, “Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.” Returning to the topic of reverse engineering, Mason offers some common sense talk about the impact of patenting new inventions. Altman, a Hollywood veteran, currently does consultant and development work for different networks and production companies on the topics of UFOs and other amazing topics. At age 17, Mason wanted to detect unknown objects, and he designed a sensitive optical sensing circuit and installed it into binoculars which enabled listening to pulsing light.

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: https://www.theparacast.com/forum/. Visit our new online shop for great branded merchandise at: https://www.theparacast.shop/, and check out our new YouTube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheOfficialParacastChannel

So is a UFO Hoaxer Committing a Crime?
By Gene Steinberg

In commenting about the May 17, 2022 hearing on UFOs in the halls of the U.S. Congress, Leonard David, described as a “space journalist,” wondered aloud that “people try to fake UAP, UFO sightings. Is there any kind of prosecution involved? I think we’ve got to be careful with that.”

Now filling a fake police report is a crime. I would assume that filing a fake report about UFOs that, in turn, causes the military to scramble jets or use other costly assets on a wild goose chase, would also be regarded as criminal.

By and large, however, most UFO hoaxers manage to practice their craft without much, if any, interference from law enforcement. Perhaps what they do is regarded as too extreme to take seriously, since, of course, UFOs themselves shouldn’t be taken seriously.

But the following story is true. No names have been changed to protect the innocent.

As many regular listeners to The Paracast will recall, one of our favorite guests over the years was the late Jim Moseley, the legendary UFO “court jester.”

Moseley, one of my close friends, appeared on the very first episode of the show, which debuted on February 28, 2006. From there, he was a fairly regular presence, featured on some 16 episodes, including one recorded shortly before his death from cancer in 2012.

Over the years, he earned the title “court jester” because of his semi-serious print newsletter, “Saucer Smear,” the title a lampoon on his original magazine, “Saucer News.” Living in the twilight zone between real and fanciful, Jim would publish some notable fact articles, such as a series of reports, published in a special issue in 1957, which exposed early contactee George Adamski. But he and friend and drinking partner Gray Barker, also took joy in perpetrating some notable hoaxes.

One of the worst, or best, depending on your point of view, was the Straith Letter. It all began one evening in 1957 when the pair were getting drunk on beer and some stronger alcoholic beverages.

So Barker had on hand some U.S. State Department stationery he had received from a friend related to someone who worked for the government.

Among a small group of letters, mostly sent to UFO researchers, was one addressed to Adamski. Postmarked from Washington, D.C., it was signed by one R.E. Straith, from a non-existent agency known as the “Cultural Exchange Committee.”

The letter went on to claim they had “a great deal of confirmatory evidence” about Adamski’s claims, but they could not, at least officially, support them.

Now Adamski jumped on it with glee, claiming this to be proof that his contact claims were genuine. He shouldn’t have been so eager to exploit that suspicious letter.

When researchers examined a copy, they discovered some telltale evidence. One, that the typewriter used bore a close resemblance to the one on which Barker typed his “genuine” letters. Less mentioned was the fact that he had a very distinctive writing style, even while drunk.

Adamski looked foolish, and it might have ended there. But the FBI got wind of this scam, and they visited Barker to learn where he got official government stationery. Let’s just say that he was able to somehow talk himself out of the possible threat of further action.

But that wasn’t all.

In 1966, Barker and Moseley created a poorly designed UFO movie allegedly showing a flying saucer buzzing a car. One John Sheets, a friend of Barker’s, held the model of a saucer aloft, suspended by a fishing pole.

Over the years, Barker sold prints of the footage, labeled the Lost Creek UFO, and Moseley included it in his public lectures.

Years later, Jim confessed to this and other plots.

In passing, it’s interesting to note the ongoing rivalry between Moseley and noted UFO book author Major Donald E. Keyhoe. So the former made arrangements with the booking agency responsible for Keyhoe’s lectures as a much cheaper alternative.

I would leave it there except for one thing, and that is the strangest hoax of all. Or was it a hoax?

So on the evening of January 11, 1966, I was visiting Moseley at his apartment in Fort Lee, NJ. Out of the blue, he decided to fake a UFO sighting. For reasons I don’t recall, he settled on a small town, Wanaque, NJ, located in Passaic County. He called the local police department there and give details of a fairly prosaic sighting.

It would have ended then and there had there not been newspaper stories describing what appeared to be a genuine sighting in Wanaque that night.

I don’t recall saying a lot to Moseley about it at the time. But, a few days later, he took a carload of people to the Wanaque Reservoir, a key location where the UFO was seen, to check things out.

We didn’t observe any strange objects that night, but I can recall to this day the biting cold. Well, maybe it wasn’t that cold, but for some reason, the jacket I wore didn’t help. I was constantly shivering, and urged Moseley over and over again to finish up and return to his car.

I didn’t feel warm again until I returned home.

So did Moseley’s efforts to create a false UFO sighting occur on the same night as a genuine sighting? Was it just a strange coincidence?

I assume the later. But to make matters all the more curious, when I asked him about the episode some years later, he had no memory of it whatsoever. This was so unfortunate, because he could have made hay about “predicting” where a UFO would be seen.

In case you are wondering, this isn’t the first time I have witnessed the makings of a strange event only to find others having no memory of it.

In the early 1970s, for example, my first wife, Geneva, and I were sleeping in our large living room on the first floor of the row house we rented in Coatesville, PA. Around 3:00 AM or thereabouts, she woke me to say she had seen a “water elemental” in the corner of the room. Half asleep, I looked up and thought I might have seen a faint shadow. But I didn’t have ready access to my eyeglasses, and I decided to just go back to sleep.

Years later, Geneva told me that she didn’t remember any such thing. So maybe I was just dreaming?

I don’t think so, nor do I think I misremembered the incident where Moseley faked a UFO sighting the very same night that a genuine sighting occurred.

Copyright 1999-2022 The Paracast Company. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Back