• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — March 26, 2011

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
March 26, 2011

Mysterious Underground Bases Explored on The Paracast

Special Announcement: The Paracast is heard Sundays from 6:00 PM until 9:00 PM (Central Time) on the GCN radio network.

The Paracast Humbly Requests Your Donations: Although ads help cover a small part of our expenses, the income they produce is never enough. Also, we do not receive any revenue from the ads placed on the show by our network. So we hope you'll be willing to help fill the gap if you can to help us cover increasing server costs and other expenses -- or perhaps provide a little extra cash for lunch. No contribution is too small (or too large :). We have a Donate link on our home page, below the logo and audio player. There's also a Donate link on our forums, right below our logo. Or just send your PayPal donation direct to sales (at) theparacast (dot) com.

Attention U.S. Listeners: Let's Bring The Paracast to Your City! Last summer, The Paracast joined the GCN radio network. This represented a huge step in bringing our show to a larger, mainstream audience. Now we want your help to add more affiliates to our growing network. Please ask one of your local talk stations if they are interested in carrying The Paracast. Feel free to contact us directly with the names of programming people we might be able to contact directly. With your help, The Paracast can grow into one of the most popular paranormal shows on the planet!

You Can Now Order The Official Paracast T-Shirt: You asked, and we answered. We are now taking orders for The Official Paracast T-Shirt and a collection of other specially customized merchandise. To get your T-Shirt, just pay a visit to our new online store at Welcome to The Official Paracast Store to select your size and place your order. We now also offer a lineup of other premium merchandise featuring The Paracast logo.

Sunday, March 27, 2011: The Paracast covers a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions across the planet.

Set Up: The Paracast hosts interview long-time researchers in the field, to shed light on the mysteries and complexities of our Universe and the secrets that surround us in our everyday lives.

Join us as we explore the realms of the known and unknown, and hear great stories of the history of the paranormal field in the 20th and 21st centuries.

This Week's Episode: Gene and Chris present a rare appearance by Richard Sauder, Ph.D., a researcher who has explored the incredible mystery of underground bases and government conspiracies. Where are they, and what purpose do they serve? His books include, “Hidden in Plain Sight: Beyond the X-Files.”

Christopher O'Brien's Site: Home - Our Strange Planet

Coming April 3: Gene and Chris present Rosemary Ellen Guiley and Philip Imbrogno, authors of “The Vengeful Djinn: Unveiling the Hidden Agenda of Genies,” which depicts an ancient race of supernatural beings that reportedly exists in a parallel universe.

Christopher O'Brien's Site: Home - Our Strange Planet

Rosemary Ellen Guiley's Site: Rosemary Ellen Guiley | Paranormal Research | Ghosts & Hauntings - Visionary Living

Reminder: Don't forget to visit our always-active Discussion Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal (and note our new Internet address): The Paracast Community Forums.

What Constitutes Proof?
By Gene Steinberg

In his classic UFO book of the 1950s, “The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects,” the late Captain Edward Ruppelt wrote: “What constitutes proof? Does a UFO have to land at the River Entrance to the Pentagon…or is it proof when a ground radar station detects a UFO, sends a jet to intercept it, the jet pilot sees it, and locks on with his radar, only to have the UFO streak away at a phenomenal speed?”

That’s a question that has been heatedly debated for more than five decades since Ruppelt wrote that telltale paragraph. As for Ruppelt himself, he gained credibility as the result of a stint at the U.S. government’s now-shuttered UFO investigative arm, “Project Blue Book.” Indeed, the term UFOs was coined during his tenure, an attempt to make the phenomenon seem more serious, and avoid the “silly season” connotation the words “flying saucers” would usually convey.

Indeed, the book was often cited as a major document filled with solid proof of the reality of UFOs; that is, until the second edition appeared, where he tacked on three more chapters. When you read them, it almost seemed as if the original chapters didn’t exist. To the question of whether he felt UFOs were real and extraterrestrial, his response totally contradicted the impression conveyed in the rest of his book: “I’m positive they don’t. I was very skeptical when I finished my tour of active duty with the Air Force and left Project Blue book in 1953, but now I’m convinced.”

According to pioneer UFO book author Major Donald E. Keyhoe, who professed a close friendship with Ruppelt, the new chapters were the result of intense pressure from Ruppelt’s former Air Force bosses. He resisted but ultimately had to accede to their demands, and write those controversial new chapters.

I suppose one might suggest Keyhoe wasn’t telling the truth, or had spun Ruppelt’s situation in a misleading fashion. But Keyhoe’s own books contained what were represented as actual quotes from Ruppelt, quotes that were never actually denied. Or at least I don’t recall any such denials.

More to the point, even if you disagree with Keyhoe’s conclusions about ET and UFOs, or the existence of a government arm that kept the fateful secret, known as the “Silence Group,” it’s not at all clear that he was lying about anything he wrote. Maybe he was a little too eager to find conspiracies and spaceships in stories that had more mundane explanations, but it’s hard to argue deception.

Returning to the present day, the standard of proof is hardly different. The prevailing viewpoint about the cause of UFOs, if real, is that we are being visited by one or more advanced races from other planets. Yes, some of us do poke into the paranormal for the source of UFO events, but the Smoking Gun still seems as elusive as ever.

Yes, you can produce photographs, reports of simultaneous visual and radar sightings, possible landing traces, and loads and loads of credible eyewitness testimony. But, even if all of that evidence points to a genuine phenomenon, that doesn’t necessarily demonstrate the source.

Yes, you can factor in UFO abduction reports, and other evidence of contact with mysterious beings. But that doesn’t prove what they are. Even if those advanced beings are willing to provide information about their origin and purpose, there’s no reason to believe them. Assume, for the moment, that we are being visited by ETs of various types. It may very well be part of their orders (or code of ethics) not to betray their true origin to the advanced (well I assume we’re advanced) denizens of any world they visit.

I wouldn’t presume to understand the motivations of alien beings, even though some folks in the UFO field profess to have such an understanding. If these beings have their own Prime Directive, it might place restrictions on their interactions with other species. Honestly, I don’t know, and I doubt that anyone who alleges alien contact knows either.

Some also suggest that the UFOnauts left us long ago, and that the latest sightings can be otherwise explained. While I concede the possibility, the evidence for more recent UFO sightings seems as strong as the old ones.

What is clear to me is that we still don’t have the answers. We have lots and lots of bickering among the UFO elite about personalities and other manufactured controversies. Some call the UFO field toxic because of all these disputes, and I can well understand why one of our former co-hosts simply got fed up with the field, and went on to get a life.

However, I’ve been at this game for several decades. I still feel strongly that there is a legitimate phenomenon behind all the many thousands of UFO reports. But I can’t help but feel jaded from time to time when I see all that noise, instead of a crystal-clear signal.

The Paracast Copyright 1999-2011 Making The Impossible, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Back