• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — June 29, 2014

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
June 29, 2014
www.theparacast.com

The Amazing Skinwalker Ranch Mystery Explored on The Paracast

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

Why It's Important for You to Donate to The Paracast: Although ads help cover a small part of our expenses, the income they produce is never enough to pay your humble hosts decent wages. Also, we do not receive any revenue from the ads placed on the show by our network or local stations. So we hope you're able to help fill the gap, if you can, to help us cover increasing server costs and other expenses -- or perhaps provide a little extra cash for lunch and utility bills. No contribution is too small (or too large :). It’s easy to send a donation. We have a Donate link on our home page, below the logo and audio player. Or use the Donate link on our forums, at the bottom of the sidebar on the right. You can also send your PayPal donation direct to sales (at) theparacast (dot) com.

Attention U.S. Listeners: Help Us Bring The Paracast to Your City! In the summer of 2010, The Paracast joined the GCN radio network. This represented a huge step in bringing our show to a larger, mainstream audience. But we need your help to add additional affiliates to our growing network. Please ask one of your local talk stations if they are interested in carrying The Paracast. Feel free to contact us directly with the names of programming people we might be able to contact on your behalf. We can't do this alone, and if you succeed in convincing your local station to carry the show, we'll reward you with one of our special T-shirts, and other goodies. With your help, The Paracast can grow into one of the most popular paranormal shows on the planet!

Please Visit Our Online Store: You asked, and we answered. We are now taking orders for The Official Paracast T-Shirt and an expanded collection of other specially customized merchandise. To get your T-Shirt now featuring our brand new logo, just pay a visit to our online store at http://store.theparacast.com/ to select your size and place your order. We also offer a complete lineup of other premium merchandise for your family, your friends and your business contacts.

About The Paracast: The Paracast covers a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions across the planet.

Set Up: The Paracast is a paranormal radio show that takes you on a journey to a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions. The Paracast seeks to shed light on the mysteries and complexities of our Universe and the secrets that surround us in our everyday lives.

Join long-time paranormal researcher Gene Steinberg, co-host and acclaimed field investigator Christopher O'Brien, and a panel of special guest experts and experiencers, as they explore the realms of the known and unknown. Listen each week to the great stories of the history of the paranormal field in the 20th and 21st centuries.

This Week's Episode: Gene and Chris present a special episode featuring Ryan Skinner, who has spent a number of years investigating the strange events that have been reported in and around the Skinwalker Ranch in Utah. He has co-authored "Skinwalker Ranch: No Trespassing: True Stories And Secret Files" with D.L. Wallace. You'll learn more amazing facts about possible portal or cross-dimensaional areas in and around the ranch and the entire Four Corners region. We'll also be joined by two of our regular listeners, Goggs Mackay and RyGyWA (Shane) for a listener roundtable.

Chris O’Brien’s Site: http://www.ourstrangeplanet.com

Ryan Skinner’s Blog: SKINWALKER RANCH .

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums. We recently completed a major update that makes our community easier to navigate, and social network friendly.

If Kenneth Arnold Never Saw a UFO
By Gene Steinberg

To many of us, the world changed on June 24, 1947. Even if you weren’t alive then, the experiences of a certain private pilot flying past Mount Rainier in the state of Washington had profound implications. On that day, he observed nine crescent-shaped objects flying in formation at high speed.

Members of the press, always in search of a good story, seized upon the description of their behavior, resembling saucers skipping across water, and so they became flying saucers.

While strange flying things had been seen in the skies for many years, and most particularly during World War II, where the “foo fighters” were widely reported around the world, Arnold’s sighting came at just the right time to catch fire. In the days following that first report, there were countless others, along with demands to explain what those strange flying objects were all about.

In addition to regular newspaper coverage of every possible flying apparition, real or otherwise, conventional or otherwise, a number of magazine articles and books were published on the subject. Some of those books became best sellers, such as “Behind the Flying Saucers” by Variety gossip columnist Frank Scully, and “The Flying Saucers Are Real” by Major Donald E. Keyhoe, an aviation and sci-fi writer who once served in the Marines.

Keyhoe’s military background, and his government connections, made it possible for him to obtain inside information on new cases. His lurid writing style, in the fashion of a modern detective novel, made his work accessible to a wide audience. It wasn’t long before other books appeared on the subject. Small magazines flourished, and some people found themselves big fishes in small ponds.

One example is a certain trust fund kid in search of something to do, who found a permanent home as a writer, humorist, hoaxer and agitator in the flying saucer field. But my late friend Jim Moseley was but one example. His publication, Saucer News, had a huge impact on my life.

So while studying broadcasting in school, I paid my tuition by accepting a paid gig at Jim’s Saucer News magazine for several years before finally taking a position at a radio station. Indeed, while working as a broadcast journalist, I continued to chase the flying saucers in my spare time, and even published a magazine on the subject for several years.

My experiences, and those of Jim Moseley, can be replicated in different ways among thousands of people around the world. The magic and mystery of those strange flying things altered lives for better or worse. Some people became famous, but some, such as the late Dale Spaur, a former policeman who chased a UFO in a patrol car, saw their lives turned upside down and inside out as a result of their experiences.

While I have little doubt that flying saucers, UFOs, UAPs, or whatever you choose to call that are real and present a compelling mystery of the ages, I wonder what might have happened if Arnold never saw those flying objects in 1947. What if he were looking in another direction, and the phenomenon didn’t catch his attention? Would there even be a UFO mystery?

Sure, people would continue to report strange objects. Other than sightings of conventional objects that might have been influenced by the Arnold sighting, most UFO events would still have occurred, but without a focal point with which to study such events, how would all our lives have turned out?

For me, I still would have entered broadcasting. I was pretending to be a radio announcer and disk jockey as a child, so it was only natural that I would pursue that profession. Aside from one curious light in the night sky back in the 1960s, I cannot say that I ever saw something that was provably unconventional.

It was also natural that I would write about technology and perhaps even science fiction. Again, all this was in keeping with my hobbies as a once-overweight kid from Brooklyn, NY. But I may not have met many of the people who became my close friends, because I encountered them as a result of my enduring interest in UFOs.

Yet it may be that there would have been a UFO mystery anyway without Arnold, because of the efforts of a certain sci-fi writer and editor, Ray Palmer. When he and aviation editor Curtis Fuller created Fate in 1948, they covered a host of strange mysteries, and flying saucers were only a part of the picture. It may well be that other sightings would have found their way into the pages of that magazine, although the impact may not have been as significant.

But the start of the modern UFO era was no doubt a happy or unhappy accident. Quite often offbeat stories, such as Arnold’s sighting, got heavy play in the summer months, when politicians were on vacation, assuming there were no compelling events of national or local interest.

Indeed, Arnold was even recruited by Palmer to investigate another UFO case, the infamous Maury Island incident, which was featured in a book authored by this duo, “The Coming of the Saucers.”

But what about the Roswell crash? Well, if there hadn’t already been stories about flying saucers in wide circulation, would the episode have received national attention? For a brief period, those who read the first news dispatches believed that one of those flying discs had actually crashed in the New Mexico desert and had been recovered. Well at least until a later story suggested it was just a balloon. But what kind of story would have been written about the episode if there was no flying saucer fever? Or would the event have simply been ignored regardless of the cause?

Despite the enduring impact of Arnold’s sighting, it is curious how little coverage the 67th anniversary of his sighting received. Indeed, there was no mention of it in The Paracast forums until I started a topic thread on the subject.

Whatever you believe about UFOs, and perhaps you feel there’s nothing to them, it’s hard to dismiss the cultural impact of Arnold’s sighting. Lives have been changed, and the presence of UFOs has heavily influenced sci-fi stories, movies and TV shows. Popular culture was never the same.

While I have few regrets, I just wonder how my life would have turned out had I not stumbled upon one of those classic flying saucer books in those early days. What about you, gentle reader?

Copyright 1999-2014 Making The Impossible, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Back