• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter -- January 13, 2013

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
January 13, 2013

Pioneer UFO/Occult Writer/Editor/Publisher Ray Palmer Profiled on The Paracast

Special Announcement: The Paracast is heard Sundays from 2:00 AM until 5:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

Why It's Important for You to Donate to The Paracast: Although ads help cover a small part of our expenses, the income they produce is never enough to pay your humble hosts decent wages. Also, we do not receive any revenue from the ads placed on the show by our network or local stations. So we hope you're able to help fill the gap, if you can, to help us cover increasing server costs and other expenses -- or perhaps provide a little extra cash for lunch and utility bills. No contribution is too small (or too large :). It’s easy to send a donation. We have a Donate link on our home page, below the logo and audio player. There's also a Donate link on our forums, at the bottom of the sidebar on the right. Or just send your PayPal donation direct to sales (at) theparacast (dot) com. And if you’ve had a problem getting to our Donate screen, please try again. We just fixed a serious PayPal access problem, and it should work properly now.

Attention U.S. Listeners: Help Us Bring The Paracast to Your City! In the summer of 2010, The Paracast joined the GCN radio network. This represented a huge step in bringing our show to a larger, mainstream audience. But we need your help to add additional affiliates to our growing network. Please ask one of your local talk stations if they are interested in carrying The Paracast. Feel free to contact us directly with the names of programming people we might be able to contact on your behalf. We can't do this alone, and if you succeed in convincing your local station to carry the show, we'll reward you with one of our special T-shirts, and other goodies. With your help, The Paracast can grow into one of the most popular paranormal shows on the planet!

Please Visit Our Online Store: You asked, and we answered. We are now taking orders for The Official Paracast T-Shirt and an expanded collection of other specially customized merchandise. To get your T-Shirt now featuring our brand new logo, just pay a visit to our online store at The Official Paracast Store to select your size and place your order. We also offer a complete lineup of other premium merchandise for your family, your friends and your business contacts.

About The Paracast: The Paracast covers a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions across the planet.

Set Up: The Paracast is a paranormal radio show that takes you on a journey to a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions. The Paracast seeks to shed light on the mysteries and complexities of our Universe and the secrets that surround us in our everyday lives.

Join long-time paranormal researcher Gene Steinberg, co-host and acclaimed field investigator Christopher O'Brien, and a panel of special guest experts and experiencers, as they explore the realms of the known and unknown. Listen each week to the great stories of the history of the paranormal field in the 20th and 21st centuries.

This Week's Episode: Gene and Chris present a rare interview with Raymond B. Palmer, the son of legendary UFO and occult researcher Raymond A. Palmer, the co-founder of "Fate" magazine and one of the early promoters of flying saucer research. Raymond A. also introduced the world to the Shaver mystery, about a man who claimed to have been in touch with advanced beings from beneath the Earth. Also joining us with his own perspectives will be veteran UFO researcher Tim "Mr. UFO" Beckley.

Chris O'Brien's Site: Our Strange Planet

Tim Beckley's Site: Conspiracy Journal - Unfair and Unbalanced!

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums. We recently completed a major update that makes our community easier to navigate, and social network friendly.

A Special Look at a Pioneer in UFO Research
By Gene Steinberg

Although considered very controversial in science fiction circles, I wonder how many of you remember Ray Palmer, and his now mostly forgotten contributions to UFO research.

But first let’s look at his history in the sci-fi field.

Palmer, the editor of the famous sci-fi magazine, Amazing Stories, from the late 30s to the late 40s, published the first story from Isaac Asimov, and the final John Carter of Mars tale from Edgar Rice Burroughs.

But Palmer became infamous for introducing yet another writer to the magazine, who came to define, or undermine his career for the rest of his life, and that was Richard S. Shaver. In the early 1940s, Palmer received a letter from Shaver containing what was supposed to be a source language for humankind, from which other languages emerged.

There’s a fascinating story how an Amazing Stories editor thought it was a bunch of hooey and just threw the letter out, but Palmer overheard that editor’s comments, and promptly retrieved the letter, which he decided to publish in Amazing Stories to see how readers would react.

It’s truly fascinating how a single action can define one’s life. So that letter, and its publication, began an odyssey that consumed much of his life and led to Palmer taking on entirely new writing and publishing pursuits.

At first, Shaver’s stories, heavily edited by Palmer, were presented as fiction. Palmer soon startled (and irritated) the sci-fi world by stating that it was all true, that Shaver had really come into contact with a race of advanced beings who lived in caverns beneath the surface of the earth, known as deros, for the bad guys, and teros, for the good guys.

As you might expect, such seemingly outlandish claims caused heated debate among the magazine’s readers during the years in which Shaver’s material was published. Some suggested Palmer was just exploiting Shaver to build a high circulation. Perhaps that was so, in part, but the two became close personal friends, although they had a sort of falling out years later for other reasons.

Without going into detail, part of the conflict was that Shaver believed his experiences in the subsurface world were real, physical encounters, while Palmer said it was all very much in Shaver’s mind, when he was in a sort of trance state. But he nevertheless said he believed Shaver regardless of the source of his incredible experiences.

Palmer claimed, in fact, that Shaver predicted the arrival of the flying saucers when he wrote about advanced circular aircraft that had to fly in a zig-zag fashion to travel through the caves. Just a few years later, on June 24, 1947, businessman Kenneth Arnold observed nine objects flying in formation, in a sort of skipping motion, while traveling in his private plane in the state of Washington.

Thus began the modern flying saucer era.

Arnold and Palmer became friends, and the two wrote a controversial book, “The Coming of the Saucers,” part of which dealt with Arnold’s attempts to investigate, at Palmer’s behest, a UFO sighting at Maury Island.

Not long thereafter, Palmer teamed with a fellow editor, Curtis Fuller, to launch Fate magazine, which published a wide range of material that included flying saucer reports, ghost stories, and other articles about the strange and the unknown. Even though it passed through other publishers, Fate is still appearing in print and, now, in digital form.

In the 1950s, Palmer and Fuller went their separate ways, as Palmer established his own publishing operation in Amherst, WI, a tiny community that, today, has a population of slightly over 1,000. One of Palmer’s more popular magazines, Flying Saucers, was used by many young people as a vehicle to launch their own UFO research clubs. I know that many of my long-term friends in the field, including Allen Greenfield, Rick Hilberg, and others, were all introduced to me courtesy of a listing in Flying Saucers.

All of this social networking came decades before Facebook was a glimmer in the eyes of its founders.

In 1965, I had the pleasure of interviewing Palmer for the first time. The text of the interview was later published in “Caveat Emptor,” a magazine my first wife, Geneva, and I launched in 1971. I interviewed Palmer on two more occasions for all-night paranormal talk shows in the Philadelphia area.

Just as a side note: Palmer’s name has become famous in yet another way. A DC Comics character, Atom, created by sci-fi writer Gardner Fox, is known by his secret identity, Ray Palmer. And that is no coincidence.

Palmer died in 1977, but his influence is still being felt in the UFO field. On this weekend’s episode of The Paracast, Chris and I will be interviewing his son, Raymond B. Palmer, who offers some amazingly detailed remembrances of his father’s amazing career, and his ongoing impact. Tim Beckley, who also knew the Palmers, will be on board to offer his own memories.

When you hear about some of the things Palmer wrote about over the years, you’ll see that many of his theories and, frankly, thought exercises, are just as apt today as they were decades ago. Indeed, one point I often make is that UFO research hasn’t advanced all that much beyond the early days. Most people still believe the unexplained sightings to be visitors from other planets.

Yes, that seems to make perfect sense, considering that we are coming to realize that there may be untold numbers of inhabited, or potentially inhabited planets in our galaxy. Assuming even a small number of these worlds have advanced civilizations, I suppose it’s quite possible some of these races have visited us from time to time.

But if you probe the wide range of unusual activities that occur in an around the vicinity of UFO sightings, you’ll see that the mystery is a lot more complicated than it seems. That, in fact, is what Raymond A. Palmer was telling you over 50 years ago. What he said then is still topical in the 21st century.

After recording this weekend’s episode, during which I suggested to Ray’s son that someone needs to write a biography of his dad, I found out that two authors have, in fact, been doing just that. I hope to have more information about these potential books in the near future.

The Paracast Copyright 1999-2013 Making The Impossible, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Sent to <<Email Address>> — why did I get this?
Making The Impossible, Inc. · 14747 North Northsight Boulevard · Suite 111-168 · Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Back