• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — December 27, 2015

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
December 27, 2015
www.theparacast.com

We Explore Owls, Synchronicity and the Paranormal on The Paracast

The Paracast is heard Sundays from 3:00 AM until 6:00 AM Central Time on the GCN Radio Network and affiliates around the USA, the Boost Radio Network, the IRN Internet Radio Network, and online across the globe via download and on-demand streaming.

A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! We have another radio show, and for a low subscription fee, you will receive access to After The Paracast, plus a higher-quality version of The Paracast without the network ads, and chat rooms when you sign up for The Paracast+. NEW! We’ve added an RSS feed for fast updates of the latest episodes and we give free ebooks for long-term subscriptions. A Paracast+ video channel is coming soon. Check out our new “Lifetime” membership! For more information about our premium package, please visit: Introducing The Paracast+ | The Paracast — The Gold Standard of Paranormal Radio.

This Week's Episode: We welcome the return of Mike Clelland to The Paracast after six years! He's author of the new book, "The Messengers: Owls, Synchronicity and the UFO Abductee." Says the publisher (Richard Dolan Press): "The owl has held a place of reverence and mystique throughout history. And as strange as this might seem, owls are also showing up in conjunction with the UFO experience. Mike Clelland has collected a wealth of first-hand accounts where owls manifest in the highly charged moments that surround alien contact. There is a strangeness to these accounts that defy simple explanations. This book explores implications that go far beyond what more conservative researchers would dare consider."

Chris O’Brien’s Site: Our Strange Planet

Mike Clelland’s Blog: hidden experience

After The Paracast -- Available exclusively to Paracast+ subscribers on December 27:Gene and Chris discuss the trials and tribulations of posting video in our new Paracast+ video channel. Its not as seamless as you might expect. The discussion moves to Chris efforts to rain on peoples parades and correct misinformation about UFOs and other paranormal events that are posted online. We talk about having New York weather in Arizona and Arizona weather in New York City and global warming. Chris brings up the untimely death of Acharya S, a noted historical researcher. She speculated in a controversial book, The Christ Conspiracy, that the story of Christ was strictly based on myth, and appeared on The Paracast during our November 26, 2006 episode. The discussion moves on to the case of the alternate Chris OBriens, dopplegangers, and episodes of synchronicity in their lives. Two potential guests for The Paracast are briefly discussed.

Reminder: Please don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal: The Paracast Community Forums.

Coincidence or Otherwise

By Gene Steinberg

1970 wasn’t a fun year for me. My employer, a radio station in Charleston, SC, decided that I was a liability because of my investigative reporting abilities.

The story is somewhat complicated, but the long and short of it is this: When I was first hired at the station, management took me aside and warned me about upsetting certain vested interests in that city. It was a warning I soon forgotten.

So one fine day, I happened to visit the office of the county commissioner and noticed a list of promotions involving key personal that was placed in full view on a large table. There was no way I could avoid it, since it was right in front of me, so I inquired as to what was up.

Surely, the county official understood the information was in the open. It was also not that big a story, but evidently my question, and running the story with the permission of the news director, upset them. The word came back to the station’s management, and within a few days I was asked to seek a new job.

Their stand violated every principle of good journalism, but I was not in much of a position to appeal since I had no employment contract.

While looking for another gig, I received unemployment insurance. My first wife, Geneva, got part-time work to help, and we sold off some of our furniture to help fill the gap. During that time, I began to hone my writing skills, and wrote articles on a volunteer basis for a local counterculture newspaper, under an assumed name; I didn’t want it to get back to the bosses at whatever radio station I’d soon join. We also prepared the very first issue of Caveat Emptor, our UFO/paranormal magazine.

The day my unemployment checks ran out, I received a phone call from the general manager of a station in the Philadelphia suburbs. He needed me at work the following Monday, and he offered me a 50% pay increase over what I received from the previous station.

It was a scramble to pack everything. Our small car, a Toyota Corona, barely managed to pull an attached trailer that contained some of our possessions; the rest were placed on the moving truck.

The trailer would start swinging back and forth if I drove too fast. But I made the trip safely and I arrived at the station at the appointed time mostly awake.

Management graciously helped us find a new home, and even offered to reimburse some of our moving expenses.

So despite all the pressures, everything had come into perfect alignment, at least on that occasion. When it came to money, we had just used our last $10 when the first paycheck arrived.

This wasn’t the first time good things happened for me in the nick of time. But this was a genuine cliffhanger until the end.

Was it a case of synchronicity? How could preparing a new magazine, writing for an alternative newspaper, and getting a new radio job, possibly relate to one another?

Well, the time it took to hone my writing skills helped made it possible for me, over 20 years later, to become a freelance writer and book author. While I was no longer working in broadcasting, those skills, combined with my writing abilities and my ongoing interest in UFOs, ultimately led me to become involved in The Paracast in 2006. Four years earlier, I had returned to radio as host of an Internet-based show covering personal technology, “The Tech Night Owl LIVE.”

Just the other day, the woman who became my second wife, Barbara, and I observed our 39th wedding anniversary. Our meeting was also a happy chance. In 1976, I joined a dating service, and found her name and phone number at the bottom of the first and only list of prospects I received, almost as an afterthought.

A short time later, the dating service went out of business, but we soon became an item and married six months later. All the conditions for us to meet had come together just perfectly. Had I attempted to join that dating service, or tried to, a little later, it would have no longer been around to take my order. My life might have taken a very different turn.

I’m not saying these brief tidbits from my life are anything special. I’m sure many of you can describe happy coincidences, possible synchronicities, which led you into unpredictable directions. And it wasn’t the first time the “stars” seemed to come into alignment for me.

When I was 11 years of age, my mom and I visited my brother, Wally, at his nearby apartment in Brooklyn, NY. He was still at work, but his wife was happy to entertain us until he returned home.

I just happened to notice a library book on the coffee table in the living room. It was entitled, “Flying Saucers From Outer Space,” by a retired Marine Corps officer, Major Donald E. Keyhoe. I picked up up, read a page or two, and asked if I could take it home.

Yes, but only if I agreed to the return the book to the library when it was due.

That started me on a lifelong quest, but I never quite understood why the book was there in the first place. Wally was a sci-fi fan, more or less, but he never expressed any interest in flying saucers or any other offbeat subject. He came across as the practical scientist and businessmen. Indeed, I never saw a similar book in his possession ever again.

Indeed, he usually looked upon my interest in these subjects with a smirk. So was that book placed there for my benefit? He would never say!

Yes, it always fascinated me how small events can turn one’s life upside down, how one can be pulled, or directed, into totally different directions as a result.

As to my first wife, Geneva, we remain friends, and she’s even been a guest on The Paracast. How we got together was, itself, the result of something unplanned and unexpected.

We first met via a comic book, “Forbidden Worlds.” I was 15, she was 13. She read my letter to the editor, and wrote a response that was forwarded to me. I lived in Brooklyn, she lived in Alabama, and we soon became pen pals. We didn’t actually meet until several years later when I was asked to give a brief UFO lecture before a UFO club in Atlanta, courtesy of another friend, Allen Greenfield, whom you’ve also heard on the show. I made a side trip to Birmingham, where Geneva’s parents met me at the airport and took us to lunch and a tour of the city.

For better or worse, I’ve managed to go with the flow. Sometimes things turn out all right. Sometimes things become difficult. But it’s been an amazing adventure in more ways than I can say.

Some have suggested I put everything in a book. I haven’t made a decision to take that step, at least not yet. But I’m considering the possibilities, assuming I can come up with enough anecdotes to keep from boring my readers to death.

Copyright 1999-2015 The Paracast LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy: Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER December 27, 2015 ...

Gene, you're an excellent interviewer and there's no shame in being treated poorly by lousy employers. I've been there myself, and I see standing up for one's self, regardless of the consequences, as a plus rather than a negative. Also Happy anniversary to you and Barbara! I hope you have many more, and as I already mentioned here to everyone, all the best on New Year's and in the year to come :)

Back