• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — August 13, 2011

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
THE PARACAST NEWSLETTER
August 13, 2011

The Frontiers of Science Explored on The Paracast

Special Announcement:
The Paracast is heard Sundays from 6:00 PM until 9:00 PM (Central Time) on the GCN radio network.

Here's How You Can Help The Paracast:
Although ads help cover a small part of our expenses, the income they produce is never enough. Also, we do not receive any revenue from the ads placed on the show by our network. So we hope you'll be willing to help fill the gap if you can to help us cover increasing server costs and other expenses -- or perhaps provide a little extra cash for lunch. No contribution is too small (or too large :). We have a Donate link on our home page, below the logo and audio player. There's also a Donate link on our forums, right below our logo. Or just send your PayPal donation direct to sales (at) theparacast (dot) com.

Attention U.S. Listeners: Help Us Bring The Paracast to Your City!
Last summer, The Paracast joined the GCN radio network. This represented a huge step in bringing our show to a larger, mainstream audience. But we need your help to add additional affiliates to our growing network. Please ask one of your local talk stations if they are interested in carrying The Paracast. Feel free to contact us directly with the names of programming people we might be able to contact on your behalf. We can't do this alone, and if you succeed in convincing your local station to carry the show, we'll reward you with one of our special T-shirts, and other goodies. With your help, The Paracast can grow into one of the most popular paranormal shows on the planet!

You Can Now Order The Official Paracast T-Shirt:
You asked, and we answered. We are now taking orders for The Official Paracast T-Shirt and a collection of other specially customized merchandise. To get your T-Shirt, sporting our brand new logo, just pay a visit to our new online store at Welcome to The Official Paracast Store to select your size and place your order. We now also offer a lineup of other premium merchandise featuring The Paracast logo.

Sunday, August 14, 2011:
The Paracast covers a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions across the planet.

Set Up: The Paracast is a paranormal radio show that takes you on a journey to a world beyond science, where UFOs, poltergeists and strange phenomena of all kinds have been reported by millions. The Paracast seeks to shed light on the mysteries and complexities of our Universe and the secrets that surround us in our everyday lives.

Join long-time paranormal researcher Gene Steinberg, co-host Christopher O’Brien, and a panel of special guest experts and experiencers, as they explore the realms of the known and unknown. Listen each week to the great stories of the history of the paranormal field in the 20th and 21st centuries.

This Week's Episode:
Gene and Chris have an enjoyable and freewheeling visit with scientist David Kaiser, a professor at MIT and author of "€œHow the Hippies Saved Physics: Science, Counterculture, and the Quantum Revival."€ Discover the strange world of quantum theory and other cutting edge scientific studies, and how they might relate to the paranormal.

Christopher O'Brien's Site:
http://www.ourstrangeplanet.com/

David Kaiser's Site:
http://web.mit.edu/dikaiser/www/

Reminder:
Reminder: Don't forget to visit our famous Paracast Community Forums for the latest news/views/debates on all things paranormal:https://www.theparacast.com/forum/.

Talking to Yourself

By Gene Steinberg

There’s a curious phenomenon in the online world, which goes back to the earliest days of the so-called newsgroups in the 19809s, where a band of regulars would gang up on newcomers in a crazy sort of territorial dispute. If you dared say anything that disagreed with the prevailing point of view, even if that disagreement was supported by indisputable facts, they’d argue the same incorrect points over and over and over again. Quite often their arguments would be laced with personal attacks. It’s all about flaming, and it could get boring real fast.

I remember trying to discuss a science fiction novel my son and I were developing some years back. Rather than actually provide constructive advice, they did everything they could to engage in childish, insulting behavior. Actually confronting them with facts didn’t matter. They weren’t able to understand any opposing viewpoints. They just repeated their well-rehearsed mantra.

In retrospect, let me point out that we did get the novel published without their help or guidance. That newsgroup is gone; we’re still here.

With the near-departure of newsgroups, discussions are no longer centralized. Even that $3.99 per month Web site you set up is sufficient to install free bulletin board software. With a few relatively simple steps, you can start your own discussions. Maybe you’ll even get a few followers, regular participants. These days, there are thousands upon thousands of online forums where discussions involve most any subject you can possibly name.

Of course here at The Paracast, we outgrew cheap hosting years ago, and you don’t want to know our host’s monthly bill that lets us manage our own server in the cloud. We have an active forum, and loads of regulars. I like to think we also try to keep the conversations from going too far afield, because we enforce a few common sense rules of the road, clearly spelled out in our Terms of Service.

But some of those other forums don’t attempt to control posters who don’t mind defaming one’s reputation with false assertions. Even when you correct their mistakes, you might as well be talking to a blank wall. They just repeat the same old lies as if they were never disproven, even though that’s not the case. It reminds you of those old phonograph records that, when the grooves were worn, kept replaying the same few seconds of recorded material.

As you might imagine, what with our recent growth into traditional radio, and the fact that we are now heard in such large cities as Atlanta and New York, we are going to have our share of critics. Certainly, we’re not immune to criticism, and we make our share of mistakes. At the same time, rather than offering constructive advice, some of those “broken record” forums make up tall tales and repeat them over and over again, when they aren’t engaged in downright insulting behavior.

One of our forum moderators, for example, was severely attacked recently, apparently because he’s a disabled veteran, which is utterly reprehensible. Evidently, some people have no self control. Maybe they actually enjoy hurting people who put their lives on the line for their country and the very people who voice those objections. Pathetic. And, no, I won’t name names, nor provide a link to the site in question, because they do not deserve the publicity. Perhaps it’s all about getting attention, though I would hope they could figure out a more adult scheme to seek that attention.

At the same time, you have to wonder how the cause of serious paranormal research can possibly be helped by Internet thugs who have no interest in facts, logic or reason. Maybe it’s all one big joke to them. Maybe they have too much time on their hands, and this is their way to fill their waking hours.

Understand that I will occasionally try to drive sense into such misguided people. But, as I said, facts and logic don’t impress them. It’s quite different from a conventional religious belief, where there’s at least a good book to guide you to a moral life.

The Paracast Copyright 1999-2011 Making The Impossible, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy:
Your personal information is safe with us. We will positively never give out your name and/or e-mail address to anybody else, and that's a promise!

Hey Thanks Gene ... again you offer really good sage advice and with respect to the topic of forum politics, I have to commend everyone on the Paracast team for being so consistently reserved in their censorship. Plus the vast number of posters here are really quite reasonable in their approach to the topics ... at least compared to other sites I post on. My experience over at the JREF has been more like cyber-bullying boot camp than skeptical discussion and one of these days it's going to come back to haunt them. Paracast is still hands down the best forum I've participated in recently.

J.R. Murphy
USI Calgary

Back