• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

World’s oldest tools 3.3 million years old in Kenya

Tyger

Paranormal Adept
Tools found near Lake Turkana in Kenya are world's oldest: They are about 700,000 years older than the previous record holder and are likely to have been made by Australopithecus, an ape-like ancestor of Homo sapiens
LINK: Tools found near Lake Turkana in Kenya are world's oldest - News - Archaeology - The Independent

TEXT: The world’s oldest tools – made by ancestors of modern humans some 3.3 million years ago – have been found in Kenya.

Stones had been deliberately “knapped” or flaked to make a sharp cutting edge, researchers said, according to Science magazine.

They are about 700,000 years older than the previous record holder and are likely to have been made by Australopithecus, an ape-like ancestor of Homo sapiens, or another species, Kenyanthropus.

Archaeologist Sonia Harmand, of New York’s Stony Brook University, told the annual meeting of the US Paleoanthropology Society: “The artefacts were clearly knapped and not the result of accidental fracture of rocks.”

About 150 flakes, the stones they were taken from and anvils on which the stones were placed while they were struck were found near Lake Turkana in Kenya.

In 2010, researchers in Dikika in Ethopia said they had found cut marks on animal bones that were 3.4 million years old, but their claim that this showed the use of tools was disputed.

The Homo genus is thought to have begun about 2.5 million years ago. Homo sapiens are thought to have evolved about 200,000 years ago.

Alison Brooks, an anthropologist at George Washington University in Washington state, said the discovery of the tools was “very exciting”.

“They could not have been created by natural forces… [and] the dating evidence is fairly solid,” she said.

Paleoanthropologist Zeresenay Alemseged of the California Academy of Sciences, one of the team that found bones at Dikika, said: “With the cut marks from Dikika we had the victim… Harmand’s discovery gives us the smoking gun.”​

_83115944_untitledcutattempt.jpg

Oldest stone tools pre-date earliest humans - BBC News

some of my collected stone tools in the sunlight:
stone tools.jpg
The two on the right are aboriginal pounding stones that I collected on separate occasions while fossil hunting in a Southern Ontario forest that is mostly dedicated to Devonian fossils if I remember correctly. We walk uphill through a farmer's field run off creek that is a good kilometre long, cutting through various time periods. The one on the far right is quite nice due to its very phallic rendering and even has a ring around the head where a leather strap would have adhered to it, or so I've been told. The heart shaped object on the far left is from the Dolomitian mountains in Italy. While waiting for my father to come down from climbing I walked up the rubble at the base of the mountain. Set apart from all the rubble were three rather large boulders that formed an enclosure. Inside this enclosure I found this stone. It fits well into the palm of the hand and has quite a chiselled tip to it. Not too sure if this was a piercing point, a scraper or rubber for working with hides? When I found it I remember thinking I had found the heart of the mountain - but then such is the romanticism of a thirteen year old boy waiting for his father to come down from the mountain top.

some of my collected stone tools in the sunlight:
stone tools.jpg
The two on the right are aboriginal pounding stones that I collected on separate occasions while fossil hunting in a Southern Ontario forest that is mostly dedicated to Devonian fossils if I remember correctly. We walk uphill through a farmer's field run off creek that is a good kilometre long, cutting through various time periods. The one on the far right is quite nice due to its very phallic rendering and even has a ring around the head where a leather strap would have adhered to it, or so I've been told. The heart shaped object on the far left is from the Dolomitian mountains in Italy. While waiting for my father to come down from climbing I walked up the rubble at the base of the mountain. Set apart from all the rubble were three rather large boulders that formed an enclosure. Inside this enclosure I found this stone. It fits well into the palm of the hand and has quite a chiselled tip to it. Not too sure if this was a piercing point, a scraper or rubber for working with hides? When I found it I remember thinking I had found the heart of the mountain - but then such is the romanticism of a thirteen year old boy waiting for his father to come down from the mountain top.

I would say the first tools were sticks used by chimps or proto-humans. The antlers with scratches reminds me of Alexander Marshack (a non archaeologist amateur who far outstripped other archys of his era) who endured ridicule and worked 25 years to prove antlers which had an accurate lunar calendar in Iberia as long ago as 30,000+ years. These scratches became or were proto Ogham which like the Tiffinaugh on your nearby Peterborough Petroglyphs (Yes, I am from Ontario too.) are important to my varied proofs of lies regarding academia.

Back