• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Why not do a cross podcast show?

I see it all the time when I was in bands. People were always telling me how I should look, act, and what I should play. I told them to go join or start their own band and leave me alone.

DBTrek said:
Three weeks ago I was listening to Ian Punnett (Coast to Coast) talk about a pattern he noticed among folks tuning in to paranormal broadcasts. He mentioned that they have a tendency to come up with an idea that they want to see implemented but they expect the host to do all of the work.

He cited examples where people will call in and say:

"Hey, you guys should write a book about [whatever] . . . "

-or-

"Hey, ya know what would make an interesting topic? You guys should look into [whatever] and do a show about it!"

-or-

"You know what you should add to Coast to Coast AM? You should change the format to accommodate [whatever] . . .".

Ian went on to chastise the listening audience in a very polite way for being a bunch of lazy "idea" people who lacked the interest or drive to pursue their own brilliant thoughts.

At the time I thought he was full of horseradish.

Now I'm not so sure.

-DBTrek

THANK YOU DBTREK! You, actually, have brilliantly made my point for me, and here's why.

First of all, I actually LIKE IAN, and I find him to be superior as a radio host, to Mr. Bell and Mr. Noory. I know there's been a lot of C2CAM bashing on this forums, myself included. I've also conceded to being a C2CAM junkie. But, if you've ever listened to IAN, you'll know that he does have some degree of intelligence and skepticism when interviewing guests with somewhat creative claims. He's polite, and open-minded, and allows people a degree of latitude, but Ian asks very good questions.

Okay, I know where Ian is coming from, and I know these examples he's making. Those are kind of dumb ideas, aren't they? BUT it would be a mistake to discount all ideas from all people, to ignore all feedback, requests, recommendations, simply because it's YOUR SHOW...That's foolish. As a radio-show host, or whatever, you can take it or leave it, that's fine. But, the "go get your own show" argument is kind of silly. My small little recommendation, for example, is in my humble opinion, a pretty good idea. You don't have to agree or accept it as your own, or implement it. But, you should DEFINITELY listen to peoples feedback, and then make up your own mind as to whether or not the feedback has valildity.

On to the most important point, and this is where YOU have actually proved MY point. Gene and David, listen carefully: IAN actually read my email LIVE ON THE AIR! HA! Apparently, Ian found my comments to be somewhat interesting enough to share them, in their entirety, with his audience of 5 million people. I thought that was pretty cool. So, as a rado-host, IAN actually did exactly what I am recommending to TheParacast. As the audience member of C2CAM, I must say that I was utterly complimented and flush with pride, when I heard my WRITTEN points made live, on the air. So, should Gene and David read forum posts, if they are interesting, and if they merit some play-time? ABSOLUTELY! They don't HAVE to, but I still think it would be a great idea. It's good for the show, and it's good for the fans, and it's excellent publicity for the FORUMS, with due respect.

Somehow I have the feeling that Gene and David would have the wisdom to read something worthy of 5million+ people's attention if it was posted in the forums. I don't see them saying "Wow, that's very profound and interesting . . . but since we don't have a 'readings from the forum' segment we're just going to ignore it".

Maybe I put too much faith in them . .. or perhaps others have too little faith in them.

:p

-DBTrek

DBTrek said:
Somehow I have the feeling that Gene and David would have the wisdom to read something worthy of 5million+ people's attention if it was posted in the forums. I don't see them saying "Wow, that's very profound and interesting . . . but since we don't have a 'readings from the forum' segment we're just going to ignore it".

Maybe I put too much faith in them . .. or perhaps others have too little faith in them.

:p

-DBTrek

I'm certain that you are correct, sir!
;)

dipdog21 - I've been trying to figure out a way to choose callins properly for a good show (Supernatural Existence). I understand people who callin can certainly lie and try to give false information.

Right now I'm listening to other podcasts (including The Paracast, which I plan to stay subscribed to) trying to see how they give a sense of skepticism, and trying to create my own way of doing that (apply an equal balance of skepticism and belief; not just 100% belief or 100% skepticism).

The trouble is the more interesting a story is, the more unlikely it seems to be. I chose to start investigations from the start to display some skepticism, but I'm still working on a way to make the premise of the show equally balanced with callins. It's definitely a work-in-progress to make the show gain a larger audience instead of just believers.

The Paracast's skepticism is very good in my opinion. I'm trying to display skepticism in my own way; one that will fit Supernatural Existence. I think for the show I run, it'll be good to get callins with skeptics as well. That would be a great way to balance it out and get more information out there. Ultimately, I hope to be able to deliver great unique content that's both informative and interesting.

I've been listening to The Paracast a bit now, and it's been very informative and interesting. Keep up the good work!

Yes, at first glance, I would have suggested a cross podcast with Gene, David, and Mysterious Universe's Benjamin Grundy. I could see how this one could be a real problem though... as MU might be one of those "all tell and no discussion" type of podcasts that sort of spews out all sorts of credible/noncredible information to the masses, and doesn't stop to truly dissect and weed out the bad stories. No offence David, but I think you would have a tough time conversing with many of the other guys out their doing show. Anyway, if you havent met him before, he's really interested in the subject, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind taking an hour or two for discussion.

PLEASE BRING BACK CLAUS DONA!!!

Byron Sanchez said:
dipdog21 - I've been trying to figure out a way to choose callins properly for a good show (Supernatural Existence). I understand people who callin can certainly lie and try to give false information.

Right now I'm listening to other podcasts (including The Paracast, which I plan to stay subscribed to) trying to see how they give a sense of skepticism, and trying to create my own way of doing that (apply an equal balance of skepticism and belief; not just 100% belief or 100% skepticism).

The trouble is the more interesting a story is, the more unlikely it seems to be. I chose to start investigations from the start to display some skepticism, but I'm still working on a way to make the premise of the show equally balanced with callins. It's definitely a work-in-progress to make the show gain a larger audience instead of just believers.

The Paracast's skepticism is very good in my opinion. I'm trying to display skepticism in my own way; one that will fit Supernatural Existence. I think for the show I run, it'll be good to get callins with skeptics as well. That would be a great way to balance it out and get more information out there. Ultimately, I hope to be able to deliver great unique content that's both informative and interesting.

I've been listening to The Paracast a bit now, and it's been very informative and interesting. Keep up the good work!

Hey Byron,

How many shows are you doing now? I've heard a few of them and just curious.

Right now I host EERIE Radio and I'm the skeptic of the group. For me it's about asking questions but I can't seem to get myself to ask the really really tough questions that David does.. that's why The Paracast is great, though. :)

Hey guys, thanks for all the kind comments.

I think a show with Ben Grundy would be great, he's reached out to us and I owe him an email or two. I like his show, and like his enthusiasm and energy, there's no reason for everyone to be as cantankerous and angry as me ;)...

Nekrinos, you might be right to a degree, I suppose the old adages about native New Yorkers may be true... and I'm from Brooklyn, to boot, which makes it even worse. The thing is, Gene's from Brooklyn too, I think he's been out in the Arizona desert for a long time, tends to calm down the angst and intensity.

Right, Gene?

:rolleyes:

dB

Sometimes it feels like Gene is sitting back with a pina colada while Dave is doing his thing. Every now and then I swear I hear the 'chink' of ice just as he reaches over to hit the button to go to break. ;)

David Biedny said:
Hey guys, thanks for all the kind comments.

I think a show with Ben Grundy would be great, he's reached out to us and I owe him an email or two. I like his show, and like his enthusiasm and energy, there's no reason for everyone to be as cantankerous and angry as me ;)...

Nekrinos, you might be right to a degree, I suppose the old adages about native New Yorkers may be true... and I'm from Brooklyn, to boot, which makes it even worse. The thing is, Gene's from Brooklyn too, I think he's been out in the Arizona desert for a long time, tends to calm down the angst and intensity.

Right, Gene?

:rolleyes:

dB

Sometimes :)

Killraven said:
Hey Byron,

How many shows are you doing now? I've heard a few of them and just curious.

Right now I host EERIE Radio and I'm the skeptic of the group. For me it's about asking questions but I can't seem to get myself to ask the really really tough questions that David does.. that's why The Paracast is great, though. :)

I'm doing one right now. I've been trying to find the right format for me that hasn't been taken by any podcast yet. I started doing live call ins recently for the show though (people can listen and call in instead of just calling in without listening).

Don't you guys think it's about time to invite Klaus Dona back? I'm really anxious to hear the rest of what he has to say. I think it's important to finish up some of the interesting interviews that have already been started.

Nekrinos said:
Don't you guys think it's about time to invite Klaus Dona back? I'm really anxious to hear the rest of what he has to say. I think it's important to finish up some of the interesting interviews that have already been started.

We definitely want Klaus back and we'll consider it for a near-future episode.

Back