• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What do you think?

Free episodes:

dusty

Skilled Investigator
Hi gang,

As some of you may recall on the recent May 17th show, as I struggled to spit out anything coherent. I mentioned the recent death of my father.

This as you can well imagine rather rocked my world, and though I am very very proud of the fact that I was invited to join in the discussion, in all honesty I dont feel I had much to contribute of any real use, (sorry about that).
Apart maybe, from the fact that the one thing I did see turned out to be something quite mundane, though had I not realised what it was, to this day I would be convinced it was a UFO and suspect I would be telling the whole tale with a rather different spin, thus confusing not only me but anyone who cared to listen. Point being not every strange light in the sky has to be a UFO.

Anyway now to the point of this post. This is quite long, involves Gene and The Clueless One in a funny way, maybe? and is I think important to record on Fahrusha's advice. Thanks Fahrusha. :)

Many years ago my Dad gave me a book by Richard Bach entitled "Illusions" the adventures of a reluctant messiah. A book I thoroughly recommend and still treasure. The reason for the gift was an attempt at
cheering me up after my first true love walked out on me. I was absolutely distraught and for a very long time it affected me quite badly. This book was also given to my Dad whilst he was in hospital some years before after one of his frequent nervous breakdowns. Consequently this little book was helpful and meant a lot to both of us, and I think many of you would enjoy it as well.
The front cover was like a deep space image of stars and galaxies and in the foreground there was a bright blue feather, the relevance of which will become clear I hope.

Now to recent events.

In brief Dad fell asleep at the wheel, crashed into a ditch full of water then wound up in intensive care in a coma like state for about five weeks.
At which point he began to open his eyes and start to show signs of conciousness again. After these improvements I was able to communicate with him, though this was very much a one way thing as he couldn't actually speak due to a tracheostomy.
After one of these visits I gave Dad a ten inch, wait for it,
bright blue feather, given to me by my daughter only days before (synchronicities huh). As a symbol of my love for him and my great desire for him to get better. I explained the "Illusions" connection (which had relevance to us at least), he smiled and understood what I was saying.
I stuck it to the ventilator within his line of sight so whenever he opened his eyes he would remember what I had said.

Dad did make further improvements and about a month later he was in the stroke ward eating and breathing for himself, and yes, in that order of importance in his case :). We all thought he would be out of there in about a month. Sadly we were wrong.

Other things happening just before all this kicked off. Included my suggestion via a PM to Jeremy, that he might also like to read "Illusions",
as at the time he seemed a bit down about the response to his then recent CoC event. Two days later I found a copy in a charity shop and bought it again. It's not a rare book but then again it's not all that common. And it's yours Jeremy if you want it.
Gene puts a call out for those wishing to join him on twitter. I had a twitter account so I followed him. At the time I had had an account there for about six months I only made one contact there and that's all I wanted it for. This is important I think.

Anyway on the day of Dads passing my wife and I went to the hospital.
We eventually had the opportunity to see the body. After saying our goodbyes and cutting a lock of his hair for John (brother) and I, we went to leave. By then I was starting to get a bit choked up and asked my dear Suzi to give me a minute or two alone with him.

I dont need to detail all that I said except this.
Before I left and even as you me and the gatepost know, I was talking to a corpse. I asked him to give me a sign, anything, just a sign that he was OK and that he knows that I love him. That was the last time I saw him.

The following day I went to work, but even through the numbness I managed to log on here and after about five minutes I remembered Gene's twitter shout out, so I then logged on to tweet.
I was eating breakfast at the time when I saw that someone wanted to follow me on twitter. As I said before I only had one friend there and wanted it to stay that way until dear Gene's shout out. So hoping to
hear from Gene I clicked to see who it was.

The new friend went by the name of "Fallen Feathers" and their icon was of a falling blue feather. I was both shocked and ecstatic, there was my sign. I dropped my toast, slugged my coffee then ran up stairs to tell my wife what had happened. I also told her all that I have just outlined here and went to work in a much better state of mind than I expected.

So far I imagine many of you may be saying to yourselves confirmation bias, and you may well be right, but there's more.

At around 10.30 that morning I got a call at work from my wife asking me to stop and listen to what she had to tell me. She works in a local school and that morning she had to help unwrap a lot of works of art by the children made at home using recycled materials.
The very first one was upside down when unwrapped and when eventually revealed, a lot of small blue feathers tumbled from it. Her second surprise came when one of the children asked her to read to him.
As these are infants that's not unusual and she dutifully settled down to read what she was presented with. The book in this case was all about a character called "Big Bear", strangely the nickname our daghter had for my Dad.

Now, make of all that what you will. I dont really know what to think, and in this case I suspect it's best not to, for the sake of remaining objective.

I recall over a year ago now, joining in on a thread that posed the question "Do recently departed loved ones try to communicate".
My response at the time was something along the lines of failing to see why they might be expected to do so.
I then decided to not post any more on that thread for fear of hurting anyones feelings, but I did continue chatting to Graphimancer via PM for a bit, and quickly realised that my thoughts failed to take account of one crucial point.

LOVE.

Mark

Interesting. A number of years ago my father in law passed away. My oldest daughter was two at the time. A few weeks after his death she got up from a nap and told my wife "I saw Papa and he told me to tell you he is alright." My wife was astonished by the comment. I felt that she might of been dreaming but my wife doesn't think so. That incident was the closest I have come to the paranormal.

Hi Dusty,
My best friend also got a lot of comfort from Richard Bach's book Illusions. I read it years ago and thought it was great.

I do think the dead can communicate with us in many different ways. I think the universe communicates to us in very strange and "mystical" ways. Trust your feelings about this subject. It may be confirmation bias but it also may be REAL confirmation.

These stories have an eerie similarity to them. A few years ago my mother-in-law passed away. My father-in-law stayed in their condo for awhile, but ultimately decided to move in with my sister-in-law. He’s now 96 and in failing health. It was Christmas season and my daughter’s family had flown up from San Diego for the holidays. Because the empty condo was close to the airport, they decided to stay there overnight for an early flight out the next morning. My two young grandkids stayed downstairs in a trundle bed while my daughter and son-in-law were upstairs.

The next day the kids reported that they had seen a ‘large’ woman with short hair on the stairs. She came down the stairs, walked over to the kids and said, “You will always be safe.” From the description it had to have been their great-grandmother, whom they had never met. Indeed, she died before either of them were born.

I have noticed that these incidents frequently involve an innocent intermediary to prove the point, yet they are fleeting and personal. They make use of synchronicity and always are subject to an alternative explanation. They frequently make use of symbols, such as the feather. It’s as if the veil is lifted for just a short while to give you some reassurance, but not enough so anyone can make a fuss about it. It’s as if reality is very Cassandra-like, (Cassandra in Greek mythology was given the gift of prophecy on the condition that no one would believe her.) giving its secrets up very reluctantly.

I think you have all the proof you need.

P.S. Interestingly, this is my second post trying to get this through. The first one met with some sort of connection glitch and was lost to the ether.

Oh Mark, that is so so special!, brought a tear to my eye that's for sure. I feel that it was strongly symbolic, a very definite answer and comfort from your dad, I can't imagine coincidence from all of that, it also seems so consistent what both you and Suzi experienced, about as near as a hug as you could get from the person you have lost.

I have always felt it important to know that death may separate us physically, but not spiritually -that's just how I feel about it...

perhaps a better way of expressing that, would be this poem:

Death is nothing at all
I have only slipped away into the next room
I am I and you are you
whatever we were to each other
that we still are
call me by my old familiar name
speak to me in the easy way
which you always used
put no difference in your tone
wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow
laugh as we always laughed
at the little jokes we enjoyed together
pray smile, think of me, pray for me
Let my name be ever the household word
that it always was
Let it be spoken without effort
without the trace of a shadow in it
Life means all that it ever meant
it is the same as it ever was
there is unbroken continuity
why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you
somewhere very near
just around the corner
All is wellHenry Scott Holland
(1847-1918) Canon of St Paul's Cathedral

Thanks for sharing, that is just lovely and truly beautiful. xxxxxx:)

Thanks for your thoughts everyone,

As both Ally and Schuyler indicate, this whole episode is so personal that it is entirely down to me to decide whether or not this truly was a sign of some kind of continuance I guess.
It is not an experience that I will ever forget but having said that I have found it less
important to me than I expected. Due I think to the fact that I already (believe) we
do continue to exist in some other form after death. This of course is one of those topics where personal beliefs really come into focus.

I suspect some may think me a bit cold hearted after saying this, but from my own point of view it really isn't. I loved my Dad with all my heart and I wouldn't have changed anything about him, it's just the way I view the world, and all of that is subject to change without notice.

Not wishing to milk this thread, but there is one more thing I do want to add about this whole event. It is that the evening before my Dads accident I PM'd sher, right here on the forums about personal stuff, and if you read this Shereen can I ask you to find that message (if you still have it) and post the last three lines I wrote (you know what I'm talking about). Just to see what others may make of it. If you no longer have it I will do it myself prudently.

Mark

I couldn't find it Mark, sorry but I do remember what you wrote to me!about that 'feeling', I hope you can find your copy! xxx

Thanks for looking sher,

I do still have the message, so I wont keep everyone in suspenders, whoops :eek:
I mean suspense, so here you go.

"Overall things are good but I must admit to feeling like something terrible is about to happen and I am trying to prepare myself for that fateful day. Long story more easily explained over the phone along with a lot of other whacky ideas I have".

Anyway it's great to hear from you and if you did want to call our number is;
----- ------
Lots of Love Shereen, and remember,

"Every problem has a gift in it's hand"

Mark (I'm just a Fungi) :D

Probably just a coincidence, but at the time I must say it didn't feel like it and like Fahrusha said it's a good idea to make some sort of record of it all.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Hey dusty,
I totally understand I get these feelings too and sometimes they come true but for me I feel this strange burden to do something because I can feel things before they happen at times. I have to keep reminding myself that there is a higher force taking care of things.

altho not a huge event, yesterday late afternoon i was working on restoring an old farm photo and my mind sort of wandered as i was cloning out thousands of tiny spots within the image, i started thinking about the small bag of my deceased mother's jewelry that my father had dropped off last week. i realized that i had not even looked in the bag to see what was there. i decided to take a break from my work and sit on the couch and go thru the bag. as i pulled out a few earrings and her LPN Nurse Id pin, and other items, i started to cry profusely, i could hardly see thru my tears as i continued pulling out bits of her possessions... the last thing i pulled out was her watch that she had nbot worn in many months during her illness, i sat there in a bit of shock as i noticed the watch had stopped working at precisely the time she died. 5pm. i know this may seem like no big deal but for some reason it gave me a chill. it only took a couple minutes to go thru the bag but it drained every bit of energy out of me. i had to close my eyes and rest for what i thought was a few minutes. turns out that i was asleep for over an hour with the door to my studio wide open. when i woke i still had the watch in my hand.
that is all there was to it... not a big deal but thought i would share the experience.

Thanks for posting that Mark. Even though your story was based on a sad event, I found it very touching and thought provoking. I'm glad these experiences have helped ease the pain through these tough times.

And when nothing seems to cheer you up, there's always guitar.:)

Back