• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What Browser Are You Using?

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
We're curious. Really. We've added a field in your User CP, under Edit Your Details, where you can tell us. So don't be shy. Yes, it's possible to get that information automatically. They call it the "user agent," but I'd rather leave Big Brother out of it and let you add it yourself -- if you want.

I have noticed that on the original forum Safari 3.1.2 would remember me when I returned to login but with the new one it doesn't seem to be working. :(

You would have to click the option to save that information.

If it still won't work, you'd have to empty the browser's cookies, log out and in again.

It even remembers me on my iPhone, in fact, day after day.

I'm always curious to no what OS/applications people have running - the more info the better. Gene, can you explain more about this "user agent" thingy? What other info can it tell you?

I'm always curious to no what OS/applications people have running - the more info the better. Gene, can you explain more about this "user agent" thingy? What other info can it tell you?

User agent is just a method used to determine one's browser and operating system. It's based on the information that comes from the browser request for a site. Unfortunately, it can be rather arcane in the way it's displayed, so it's not something that's meant for regular people.

I'm trying to find a way to take that information and distill it down to something that makes sense, such as the way you have entered it manually.

However, even if we add such an automatic capability, it won't cover older messages, only ones posted since the change was made.

So for now, folks let's just do it manually (if you want of course).

Firefox 2. Firefox 3 has issues with the Google bookmarks menu plug-in.
Omniweb is my backup when Firefox slows to a crawl.

Firefox 2. Firefox 3 has issues with the Google bookmarks menu plug-in.
Omniweb is my backup when Firefox slows to a crawl.

A reminder that OmniWeb is a Mac-only application.

You could, of course, try Apple's Safari, which uses the same WebKit rendering engine (usually a later version). It's available in Mac and Windows versions. It doesn't have all the cool features of OmniWeb, but worth a try anyway.

What is your prime Browser Gene? I am not a Safari fan, not very Apple for an Apple Browser. Omniweb is probably the best application that the Apple user can experience for web browsing. I think Firefox is the most 'useful' though. Wish they would fix 3 though. Dean

What is your prime Browser Gene? I am not a Safari fan, not very Apple for an Apple Browser. Omniweb is probably the best application that the Apple user can experience for web browsing. I think Firefox is the most 'useful' though. Wish they would fix 3 though. Dean

As it says above my posts (that little piece of data is called a "postbit"), I tend to use Safari 3.1.2 most often. Firefox 3 is good, but has a few rough edges. Maybe they'll fix that in 3.1.

I'm having teething problems with Firefox 3, but I'm stuck with an old PC at the moment, after the recent death of my laptop, so it may be the PC and not Firefox that's to blame. I've had to disable some of the new Firefox security features, as the browser becomes too memory-hungry when they're enabled. Apart from that, and a few of my favorite plug-ins being incompatible with the new version, I'm pretty happy with it. And hey - it's not Internet Explorer. That has to be a good thing!

I'm having teething problems with Firefox 3, but I'm stuck with an old PC at the moment, after the recent death of my laptop, so it may be the PC and not Firefox that's to blame. I've had to disable some of the new Firefox security features, as the browser becomes too memory-hungry when they're enabled. Apart from that, and a few of my favorite plug-ins being incompatible with the new version, I'm pretty happy with it. And hey - it's not Internet Explorer. That has to be a good thing!

Maybe you just need to add more RAM. :)

Most definitely - the old clunker only has 256 MB :D. But as the PC is about 7-8 years old, and a total nightmare to use, I'm just going to buy a new one soon. That should solve my Firefox problem!

Get a Mac mini. Cheap, reliable, and a way out of the Windows mess for good. :)

Back