• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Was He the Best James Bond: RIP Sean Connery

Who Was the Best Movie James Bond? (Not the 1967 Comedy)

• George Lazenby

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roger Moore

• Timothy Dalton

• Pierce Brosnan

• Daniel Craig

• Total voters
Shall we rate the best?

Or just mourn him?

If you want to rate, maybe add a poll "Your favorite James Bond" to the thread. My vote definitely goes to the original ... This is the end of an era not just because of his portrayal as James Bond, but for his other characters as well.

On another poll, perhaps we should rate potential James Bond replacements for Craig. Tom Hiddleston and Henry Cavill are good choices, for example, if the latter can shake the "Superman" and "Witcher" typecasting. Hiddleston displayed his "spy" credentials in "The Night Manager" mini-series, though he could afford to bulk up with some more muscle.

I had a chance to watch part or all of three of the Bonds flicks with Sean Connery now that they are free with ads on YouTube, plus the lone Lazenby outing.

Lazenby tried, he went through the motions, and had the right voice, but he projected little or no personality. From "Dr. No" through "Never Say Never Again," Connery was unique, and instantly recognizable in his approach to the role.

In retrospect, Timothy Dalton's darker portrayal of Bond holds up well. Pierce Brosnan is bland, Daniel Craig is great, and, despite that twinkle in his eye, Roger Moore was always more suited to The Saint than to James Bond. IMHO.

Been re-watching all the Bonds in order... and man, as hard as Lazenby tried, he just didn't have the swagger or the looks to compete with Connery.

It was a decent movie, but it just didn't feel like a Bond one. Especially with that groaner line 'the other guy didn't have these problems.'

Been re-watching all the Bonds in order... and man, as hard as Lazenby tried, he just didn't have the swagger or the looks to compete with Connery.

It was a decent movie, but it just didn't feel like a Bond one. Especially with that groaner line 'the other guy didn't have these problems.'
It was that swagger that got Connery the role in the first place. Also, I thought Diana Rigg failed to deliver the level of performance she displayed in The Avengers. Maybe she toned it down because of the lack of skills of her co-star, but regardless, I thought "On Her Majesty's Secret Service," which supposedly had some level of fidelity to the novel, was quite a dreary entry in the series. I did not like it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back