• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Underground Bases discussion:

Do I think there is underground facilities most likely for all nations and most would be very concerned being in them. Another aspect is on the secret space program and transportation of equipment regarding payloads using conventional rockets?
Most are likely within and circle of protection. Like any secure facilities above or underground facilities have strict procedures to get into as most would come under a military organisation and even private contractors are vetted through agencies as the does the Chinese , French, Germans,North Koreans , Russians any other groups. Also industrial espionage would be another angle that would watch out for. Example Lazar Case and civilians on bases. Just imagine what it would be like to penetrate these facilities with conventional forces?
On another topic of underground facilities sewage tunnels and great funny horror movie the killer fat blob Engineers may have just found the father of all fatbergs .

coincidentally I saw the Fatberg story on the BBC yesterday and they seemed to imply that the problem was cause by residential waste, as in people at home putting oil down the sink or toilet, but I suspect that it was at least in part caused by commercial food outlets, like takeaways and restaurants. I have emailed them (the BBC about this if I get a reply I write here how they respond.) London has miles and miles of sewers but they were not designed for the volume of fat being disposed of, it is easy to forget how few calories people used to live on. We also have the Tube(metro), electricity, gas and water pipes under our feet but the majority of the time you don't give them a second thought. Out of sight out of mind.

Regarding the secret space program and the transportation of equipment payloads using conventional rockets, I think rockets are very expensive. I believe a Super Gun is much more economic, they have been able to fire into space for a long time now. There was a Canadian designer who developed the technology in the 60s I think.
Super High Altitude Research Project
ertyfghfghfghe55.jpg

If they found a way to make it a bit less noisy and visible they could have such a thing quite close to population centers and nobody would notice.

0acc2fa7f29e95a43c2b77f409e708da.jpg

I am not sure how badly a 'silencer' would hurt performance so maybe building it underground would have advantages in terms of concealment, especially if it could be fired from underground, from under water or even from under the seabed.

The Germans had something called the V3 which was basically a part subterranean multi stage super gun in the 1940s:
2EBC89C500000578-3330715-image-a-1_1448298846751.jpg

b65971b9273de28dfbb4669dad654652--arma-bunker.jpg

If they had completed it they could have fired on London 24/7

Operation Paperclip (and the Soviet equivalent) may have included scientists that worked on these projects.

But I think it should also be taken into consideration that secret development of better guns and better projectiles could mean that the area needed to house such a contraption is much smaller than we currently think.
For example there is an Australian multi-barrel electrically fired gun that can potentially fire a million rounds per minute. 'metal storm'
5610130.jpg

Maybe I was more influenced by Stingray than I thought ;)

coincidentally I saw the Fatberg story on the BBC yesterday and they seemed to imply that the problem was cause by residential waste, as in people at home putting oil down the sink or toilet, but I suspect that it was at least in part caused by commercial food outlets, like takeaways and restaurants. I have emailed them (the BBC about this if I get a reply I write here how they respond.)

Not certain that this is because of the email I sent them? :

London fatbergs 'fuelled by restaurant waste'

Thames Water visited hundreds of outlets and found nine out of 10 did not have adequate systems for keeping waste out of sewers.

On Whitechapel Road, where a "monster" 130-tonne fatberg was found, none had a working grease trap, the firm said.

The utility said it was
"staggered"* by the findings.

article here:

Restaurant waste 'feeding fatbergs'

*I was not suprised so not sure why they were?

Back