• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Trinary thinking

dusty

Skilled Investigator
Not so much a question, more an idea really,

For some time now I have had a nagging doubt about the supposed dualistic nature of the brain.
This has come up on the show every now and then and whenever I hear it I always start to wonder if we are right to assume this when it comes to the actual functioning of the brain.

If for instance we actually work in say a trinary/ternary way could this be having some impact on what we actually observe/percieve and experience? I found the following link and thought it interesting especially the part where it says the brain can and does ignore certain information unlike computers for instance.
http://www.unreasonableman.net/2005/03/brain_computes_.html

Of course this is an old post and no doubt more is already understood, but my reason for being interested is as this is such a complex and mysterious organ even the trinary idea might well fall far short of the truth.

Just wondered what you all thought,

Peace,
Mark

That is an interesting idea. It certainly explains how we can easily tune things out. Basically we would attune ourselves to cancel some stimuli out and hence ignore it. Our ability to intently focus on a task for instance. Taking the thought a bit further, what if a persons perceptions could be tuned as to render a specific stimuli inert? Now that can get a bit frightening.

Taking the thought a bit further, what if a persons perceptions could be tuned as to render a specific stimuli inert? Now that can get a bit frightening.

That thought ha ha, was sort of what I am driving at Ron,

Perhaps we are bombarded with lots of other sensory data all the time, let's call it Dark data, yet we simply tune it out. Perhaps for reasons of survival or maybe we used to experience more and have evolved those faculties away because we are a technological species. I wonder if along with the "Good me/us" and the bad, there might be another far older and wiser component that for whatever reason censors what we think and perceive.

Years ago I read all those Carlos Castenada books about his adventures with the Yacqui sorcerer Don Juan. I realise that a lot if not all these books are probably the result of too much Peyote and a sharp sense of what will sell, but here and there I found some interesting ideas.
In one of the later books our hero Castenada and Don Juan are in a cafe somewhere and DJ explains that his job as a teacher to Castenada is to teach him about what he called "The Nagual" or "Warriors Path".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagual_(Castaneda)

Naming the objects on their table as follows. Ketchup represents Man, salt and pepper = good and evil, placemats = all matter, Wine = God, glasses = all knowledge and creative thought, you get the picture.
When he finished arranging things, he explained that all the stuff on the table basically represented all there is or ever could be known to us. Then whilst waving his hand in the space around the table he said something like "And this is everything else", which was what Don Genaro another Yacqui sorcerer was to teach him "the Tonal" I think he called it. The unknown or unknowable, go figure?

Point being I suppose is could this strange and often frightening "Otherness" we sometimes experience with a lot of paranormal stuff be the result of a trinary self we have perhaps forgotten or maybe even need to suppress in order to survive?

Anyway it's all food for thought I guess :)

Mark

Back