• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Three Golden Orbs - 1992 Sighting

GhostSensor3000

Skilled Investigator
I went camping with a friend of mine in the summer of 1992 in Wayne National Forest in southern Ohio. The location was just off State Rt. 93 about fifteen miles south of Jackson.

It was about an hour before dusk, and we'd just set up camp and went foraging for firewood. If you've ever been in this part of Ohio, it is extremely hilly with tons of forested valleys. It's beautiful country. We were camped on one of those hilltops and searched the woods next to our camp for firewood. My friend Jack separated and foraged for wood on his own. Several minutes passed, and I heard him yell for me. I looked and realized the stretch of wood opened onto a clearing on the other side of the hill . There was a sweeping view of the valley beyond that spread all across the northern horizon.

He said, "Man, what the hell are those?!" and pointed to the north, north western horizon. In the pre-dusk sky hung three golden spheres. They were positioned in the shape of a right triangle. Neither one of us had seen anything like this before. I had always considered the possibility of UFOs, but had never had an actual encounter until this particular evening.

We stood there for a solid two minutes before we said anything, and the spheres didn't budge. I had the sensation we were being watched, like the spheres knew we were there. Jack was freaked, but he composed himself and did his best to hide it. We both judged the spheres, from this distance, to be about the size of a softball.

I suggested the possibility that it could UFOs and Jack replied, "Maybe, but who knows."

We returned back to camp without saying a word and started a fire. I couldn't resist, I had to look again. I went back into that particular stretch of woods and stopped dead in my tracks. The spheres were still there. They hadn't moved. I knew a good twenty minutes had passed since I was here with Jack, and they were still there. I went to the clearing and stood in the open and stared at them once more. The feeling of being watched returned and I was certain the spheres knew I was standing there. A fear came over me, but after a couple of minutes, the feeling passed, and I returned to camp to eat dinner with Jack.

We talked and laughed, trying to make light of the situation, but we both knew something strange was going on.

Now, I will tell you, at this time in our lives, Jack and I were experimenting with hallucinogenic mushrooms. We were both in college at the time and curious about hallucinogens. But at the time of the sighting, neither one of us had taken anything. We were dead stone sober. Although after the sighting, we thought taking some mushrooms would calm our nerves. I couldn't have been more wrong. We did of course, have a great time for a while, and many laughs that night, but as we turned in, the fearful thoughts crept into my mind.

The entire night I was up on and off. And the times I was awake, I heard bi-pedal footsteps all about our camp. And I'm certain it wasn't the effects of the mushrooms. Somebody or somebodies were walking through our camp at all hours of the night. Again, the same feeling of being watched came over me. We packed up camp the next morning, and Jack and I never spoke much about the incident to anyone. Nothing happened to us that night, as far as know. Our life was getting very weird up to this point, and this incident seemed to top the cake. Needless to say we never touched mushrooms again.

But I've always wondered if our experimentation with hallucinogens at this point in our lives had anything to do in connection with our sighting that evening.

Last edited:
I went camping with a friend of mine in the summer of 1992 in Wayne National Forest in southern Ohio. The location was just off State Rt. 93 about fifteen miles south of Jackson.

It was about an hour before dusk, and we'd just set up camp and went foraging for firewood. If you've ever been in this part of Ohio, it is extremely hilly with tons of forested valleys. It's beautiful country. We were camped on one of those hilltops and searched the woods next to our camp for firewood. My friend Jack separated and foraged for wood on his own. Several minutes passed, and I heard him yell for me. I looked and realized the stretch of wood opened onto a clearing on the other side of the hill . There was a sweeping view of the valley beyond that spread all across the northern horizon.

He said, "Man, what the hell are those?!" and pointed to the north, north western horizon. In the pre-dusk sky hung three golden spheres. They were positioned in the shape of a right triangle. Neither one of us had seen anything like this before. I had always considered the possibility of UFOs, but had never had an actual encounter until this particular evening.

We stood there for a solid two minutes before we said anything, and the spheres didn't budge. I had the sensation we were being watched, like the spheres knew we were there. Jack was freaked, but he composed himself and did his best to hide it. We both judged the spheres, from this distance, to be about the size of a softball.

I suggested the possibility that it could UFOs and Jack replied, "Maybe, but who knows."

We returned back to camp without saying a word and started a fire. I couldn't resist, I had to look again. I went back into that particular stretch of woods and stopped dead in my tracks. The spheres were still there. They hadn't moved. I knew a good twenty minutes had passed since I was here with Jack, and they were still there. I went to the clearing and stood in the open and stared at them once more. The feeling of being watched returned and I was certain the spheres knew I was standing there. A fear came over me, but after a couple of minutes, the feeling passed, and I returned to camp to eat dinner with Jack.

We talked and laughed, trying to make light of the situation, but we both knew something strange was going on.

Now, I will tell you, at this time in our lives, Jack and I were experimenting with hallucinogenic mushrooms. We were both in college at the time and curious hallucinogens. But at the time of the sighting, neither one of us had taken anything. We were dead stone sober. Although after the sighting, we thought taking some mushrooms would calm our nerves. I couldn't have been more wrong. We did of course, have a great time for a while, and many laughs that night, but as we turned in, the fearful thoughts crept into my mind.

The entire night I was up on and off. And the times I was awake, I heard bi-pedal footsteps all about our camp. And I'm certain it wasn't the effects of the mushrooms. Somebody or somebodies were walking through our camp at all hours of the night. Again, the same feeling of being watched came over me. We packed up camp the next morning, and Jack and I never spoke much about the incident to anyone. Nothing happened to us that night, as far as know. Our life was getting very weird up to this point, and this incident seemed to top the cake. Needless to say we never touched mushrooms again.

But I've always wondered if our experimentation with hallucinogens at this point in our lives had anything to do in connection with our sighting that evening.
Chris has mentioned hallucinogens as being a possible way of making one more susceptible to experiencing these things.This out of the box thinking may be the way forward because virtually everything else we've tried has achieved very little.I'm also starting to think that the intelligence behind this phenomena do sometimes pick and choose who they appear to.

:D Too funny!

I haven't any more UFO sightings, but I've had a life full of other paranormal phenomenon. And I still have experiences to this day.

I will post more of my experiences in subsequent threads.

I think most people have a tad of insanity. Some more than others, me included. LOL! I mean, what is normal? But that's another discussion for another thread.

I will be posting paranormal experience thread either some time today or tomorrow.

Interesting post, @GhostSensor3000. Since you and your friend were not under the influence of 'shrooms' while seeking firewood, I doubt that you hallucinated the three orbs you saw from the hilltop. Cameras do not hallucinate orbs and neither do humans. I have not consumed shrooms or any other psychedelic substance so I do not know what kinds of experiences result from using them. But it seems to me from reports that one of the effects that occurs with some people is a feeling of paranoia. My guess is that that would be a natural result for some people (depending on dosage and perhaps on personal psychology) of the expanded sense of 'reality' that psychedelics produce. If 'reality' is sensed in psychedelic experimentation as much vaster, more ambiguous, and thus potentially unpredictable, there are rational grounds for paranoid feelings. The sounds you heard in the forest that night might have been an example of paranoia generated by the orbs sighting and deepened by the mind-altering effects of the psychedelic mushrooms. Or it might have been more simply an effect of a sense of hearing made more acute by the substances contained in the mushrooms.

{ETA: I've always experienced a far more acute sense of hearing, among other effects, with marijuana, which makes listening to music especially revelatory and pleasant.}

You have a good point, Constance. I agree. The feeling on mushrooms is similar to marijuana, but you feel a bit more euphoric. Also, you'll sometimes see surfaces morph and bubble, at least in my experience.

We did seem to have a bit of paranoia when we laid down to go sleep, but it was worse when I woke up. As for what I heard in the camp that night, I'm pretty certain somebody was messing around in our camp.

And at the time of our sighting we had not taken anything. We were dead stone sober.

Oh yes, I agree, the effects of marijuana make things so much more pleasurable, especially music.

In the days when my ex and I were growing our own, and 'grass' (as we called it then) was always part of our social life, I always felt like we were all sitting around in water up to our necks. That was lovely in combination with the fire burning in the fireplace on cold Winter nights in Iowa. Vote for Sanders; he'll legalize it at the federal level.

Very nice post. Thanks for sharing your experience. It's a very curious sighting. I have many questions.

What happened to the lights: Did you ever see them move at all? Were they there in the evening? When did you know they were gone or did you?

Do you remember what time of day it was when you first saw them?

As for the bipedal mushroom experience. I know that shrooms accentuates audio quite nicely as well. Could just have been the wildlife roamin around a campsite as they frequently will, and as strange sounds are heard often in the forest in the middle of the night.

Very nice post. Thanks for sharing your experience. It's a very curious sighting. I have many questions.

What happened to the lights: Did you ever see them move at all? Were they there in the evening? When did you know they were gone or did you?

Do you remember what time of day it was when you first saw them?

As for the bipedal mushroom experience. I know that shrooms accentuates audio quite nicely as well. Could just have been the wildlife roamin around a campsite as they frequently will, and as strange sounds are heard often in the forest in the middle of the night.

No, the lights didn't move at all. And yes, it was in the evening, around 7:00 - 7:30 p.m., about an hour before sundown. Oh yeah, I have no idea when they went away. After the sighting, we tried to put it out of our minds that evening. Well...that is until I started hearing footsteps around our camp in the middle of the night.

I used to camp quite a bit in college, and it was definitely something on two feet. Who knows who or what was snooping through our camp that night, and at the time, I was too scared to check it out.

Back