• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The UFO Phenomenon: The 50 Most Influential People of All Time

P

Paul Kimball

From my blog.

Paul Kimball

[original at: http://redstarfilms.blogspot.com/2006/12/ufo-phenomenon-50-most-influential.html]

The UFO Phenomenon: The 50 Most Influential People of All Time

I picked up a copy of The Atlantic this month because the cover story is about the 100 most influential Americans of all time, as selected by a group of eminent historians (Abraham Lincoln tops the list).

As I read it, I began to think to myself - who are the most influential people ever in terms of the UFO phenomenon.

Voila - my list, which limits it to the top 50.

There are people, as with The Atlantic's list, who are omitted that others will think deserve a place, and people will no doubt quibble about the order as well. They will also question the definition of influence, which is a subjective judgment.

Good. I hope this list generates discussion, debate and thought about where the UFO phenomenon has been, and where it might be going.

So, without further ado...

Paul Kimball

P.S. The list is limited to humans!

The UFO Phenomenon - The 50 Most Influential People of All Time

1. Dr. Edward Condon - Head of the USAF-funded University of Colorado Project, and author of the Condon Report; his conclusions still shape the way mainstream science views the UFO phenomenon.

2. Major Donald E. Keyhoe - Founder of the National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena (NICAP), and original proponent of the Extra-terrestrial hypothesis.

3. Dr. J. Allen Hynek - Project Blue Book scientific advisor, and later founder of the Center for UFO Studies (CUFOS).

4. Dr. Carl Sagan - The great popularizer of science, and the concept of ET life in particular, in the second half of the 20th century, and a leading UFO opponent.

5. Captain Edward Ruppelt - The first head of the United States Air Force's Project Blue Book, and the author of The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects.

6. George Adamski - The founder of the Contactee Movement.

7. Dr. H. Marshall Chadwell - CIA Assistant Director for Scientific Intelligence in 1952, he was a proponent of the need to take the UFO phenomenon seriously.

8. Betty Hill - The first abductee story to gain widespread public attention.

9. Dr. James McDonald - The best case investigator ever, and a passionate advocate for both the serious scientific study of UFOs, and the ETH.

10. Stanton T. Friedman - Researcher / author / lecturer, a leading advocate for the ETH, and the man who, with William Moore, made UFO virtually synonymous with Roswell.

11. Major Jesse Marcel - Army intelligence officer who was a key player in the Roswell case, and whose story breathed new life into the crashed flying saucer mythos.

12. Art Bell - Maverick late-night radio talk-show host, and founder of Coast to Coast AM, he gave ufologists a regular public platform in the 1990s that continues today under George Noory.

13. Kenneth Arnold - The original flying saucer witness - even if he didn't exactly coin the term, it is forever linked with his name.

14. Whitley Strieber - Author / alleged abductee, he popularized the concept of the gray alien and secret government agencies dealing with UFOs.

15. Chris Carter - Creator of The X-Files television series, which made conspiracy theories about aliens popular.

16. Dr. Jacques Vallee - Leading UFO theoretician and investigator, and proponent of the Extra-dimensional hypothesis.

17. Dr. Donald Menzel - Harvard astronomer, author, and the original UFO debunker.

18. Dr. H. P. Robertson - Head of the CIA's Robertson Panel in 1953, which called for the official debunking of UFO reports.

19. Colonel William Blanchard - His decision to issue a press release about the recovery of debris near Roswell would change ufology thirty years later.

20. George Van Tassel - Contactee, founder of the Interplanetary Spacecraft Convention at Giant Rock, California, which ran from 1954 to 1974.

21. Coral Lorenzen - Co-founder and driving force behind the Aerial Phenomena Research Organization (APRO).

22. Maj. Gen. John Samford - Director of Intelligence for the USAF in the early 1950s (and later head of the NSA), most famous for his 1952 press conference to explain the Washington sightings.

23. Nick Pope - British researcher / author, and former head of the Ministry of Defence's UFO desk.

24. Ken Purdy - Editor of True Magazine in the early 1950s, his decision to publish articles about UFOs brought widespread attention to the subject.

25. Erich von Daniken - Author of Chariots of the Gods, and leading proponent of the "ancient astronauts" theory.

26. Dr. John Mack - Harvard professor who beame a leading, and controversial, researcher into the abduction phenomenon.

27. Richard Hall - Longtime NICAP staffer / investigator, and author of The UFO Evidence, Volumes 1 and 2

28. Walt Andrus - Founder of the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON).

29. Lieut. Colonel Philip Corso - Former army officer who claimed in his memoirs The Day After Roswell to have been responsible for seeding alien technology into industry.

30. Dr. Steven Greer - Controversial CSETI founder, exopolitics guru, and head of the Disclosure Project.

31. Frank Edwards - Author / journalist, his book Flying Saucers - Serious Business was a best-seller.

32. Major Hector Quintanilla - The last head of Project Blue Book.

33. Frank Scully - Author of Behind the Flying Saucers, which first popularized the idea of crashed flying saucers (the Aztec hoax).

34. Jerome Clark - Researcher, author, historian and CUFOS member, as well as Editor of International UFO Reporter.

35. Philip J. Klass - CSICOP's UFO "expert", and longtime debunker / bete noir of ufologists.

36. William Moore - Co-author of The Roswell Incident, and perhaps the MJ-12 papers. One of ufology's most controversial figures.

37. Dr. Seth Shostak - SETI spokesperson / scientist, and leading UFO skeptic.

38. Kevin Randle - Leading Roswell investigator, author of numerous books on a variety of UFO subjects, from abductions to 1952 Washington case.

39. Leonard Stringfield - Collector of crash retrieval stories.

40. Brad Sparks - Co-founder of Citizens Against UFO Secrecy, and one of the best researchers of all time.

41. Steven Bassett - Political activist, ran for Congress on UFO platform, speaker, and conference organizer.

42. Linda Moulton Howe - Media entrepreneur, popularizer of stories of crashed UFOs and government cover-ups; best known for her cattle mutilation investigations and theories.

43. Cmdr. Robert McLaughlin - His 1950 article for True Magazine had a tremendous impact on the public, and lent credibility to the ETH.

44. Errol Bruce-Knapp - Radio host and founder of UFO Updates, the premiere on-line discussion forum for ufologists and others interested in the phenomenon.

45. John Greenewald, Jr. - Founder of www.blackvault.com, and master of FOIA applications.

46. J. P. Cahn - Journalist who exposed the Aztec crash hoax in True Magazine.

47. Wilbert Smith - Canadian civil servant who was considered by some to have been involved in super secret UFO research.

48. Wendelle Stevens - UFO researcher / author, and a leading proponent of the Billy Meier story.

49. Paul Hellyer - Former Canadian Minister of Defence who has become a leading advocate of exopolitics.

50. Ray Santilli - Perpetrator of the alien autopsy hoax.

How about H.G. Wells? Wells was the only important, early writer to suggest the possibility of an invasion from space. Jules Verne might be a stretch, but I'd certainly place Wells in there somewhere.

I'd also nominate Orson Welles for his "Mercury Theater on the Air" production of "War of the Worlds." And a nod might go to American International Pictures, who sent up a regular barrage of "B" movies featuring UFOs and alien invaders throughout the 50s and 60s. Lots of folks, even today, form a mental picture of UFOs and aliens from the images in those films - films that featured invasions, surveillance, government disinformation and suppression, abductions, etc.

What about Long John? He was Art Bell before there was an Art Bell. (Ah, the good old days.) The entire "Coast to Coast" program can be directly traced to Long John's show.

What about the "Star Trek?" "The Twilight Zone/Outer Limits?"

I suppose I see ufology as a more cosmopolitan phenomenon. One can't give the press, film and television media too much credit in shaping the way in which we perceive UFOs. The Kenneth Arnold sighting - which you appropriately list in your "Top 50" - is a perfect example. Arnold never saw round, flat, circular objects. He saw boomerangs - a formation of them, in fact - but the press misrepresented his "saucers skipping on the water" comment, and - VIOLA! - the "flying saucer" was born. After that, many folks started seeing classically round, flattened "saucers." (Not everyone, of course, but you get the point.)

Good list. Good food for thought.

hopeful skeptic said:
How about H.G. Wells? Wells was the only important, early writer to suggest the possibility of an invasion from space. Jules Verne might be a stretch, but I'd certainly place Wells in there somewhere.

Wells would certainly have been a solid choice. Ditto Orson Welles (as I'm a filmmaker, and Welles is one of my heroes, I probably should have included him!)

hopeful skeptic said:
What about Long John? He was Art Bell before there was an Art Bell. (Ah, the good old days.) The entire "Coast to Coast" program can be directly traced to Long John's show.

Yes, but I think Bell's program has had a far greater influence. Still, I thought about including LJ as well.

hopeful skeptic said:
What about the "Star Trek?" "The Twilight Zone/Outer Limits?"

Both Gene Roddenberry and Rod Serling were on my larger list of 70 to 80 names that I pared down to 50 - they would be good choices, too. I would also mention Steven Spielberg.

hopeful skeptic said:
I suppose I see ufology as a more cosmopolitan phenomenon. One can't give the press, film and television media too much credit in shaping the way in which we perceive UFOs. The Kenneth Arnold sighting - which you appropriately list in your "Top 50" - is a perfect example. Arnold never saw round, flat, circular objects. He saw boomerangs - a formation of them, in fact - but the press misrepresented his "saucers skipping on the water" comment, and - VIOLA! - the "flying saucer" was born. After that, many folks started seeing classically round, flattened "saucers." (Not everyone, of course, but you get the point.)

I agree. The media has done a great deal to shape our perceptions of what aliens might look like, and what UFOs might be - even prior to 1947 (which should make people think a bit).

hopeful skeptic said:
Good list. Good food for thought.

Thanks - that was the intent! :)

Paul

Back