• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The paraconsumer; what to buy?

Richard Dolan's Ufo's and the national security state. Best one I've read and I've read quite a few. Won't be able to get it at most chain bookstores, probably have to order from amazon or his website. Great introductory read.

George Hayduke said:
Ha! All that sounds great. But I'm currently buying up UFO books before the gubbermint shuts down tha Net. Gotta recommendation?

These have given me the most satisfaction:
1) "Shockingly Close to the Truth"
2) "The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects" (online free at nicap.org)
3) "The UFO Evidence" (online free at nicap.org)
4) "Night Siege"
5) "The Canadian UFO Report"

"Night Siege" may be a toughy, I had to chase down a used copy.

I would hesitantly add "Hunt for the Skinwalker", which does include some unknown aerial phenomena...but frankly...the book rattled me and it is not strictly a UFO-centric book.

speaking of "Hunt for the Skinwalker", is there still research going on out there? I haven't read the book, but I watched the doc. on it, and thought it was interesting. Is it worth a read?

George Hayduke said:
I read a lot. Gotta book to recommmend?

Here's a few to get you started:

The SS Brotherhood of the Bell by Joseph P. Farrell

Reich of the Black Sun by Joseph P. Farrell

Sinister Forces (a trilogy of titles by Peter Levenda

Unholy Alliance by Peter Levenda

Fatima: The Story Behind the Miracles by Renzo Allegri and Roberto Allegri

The Men Who Stare at Goats by Jon Ronson

Breaking the Time Barrier: The Race to Build the First Time Machine by Jenny Randles

Skinwalkers is a good read. You can knock it off in a single evening.

DFWMike said:
Richard Dolan's Ufo's and the national security state. Best one I've read and I've read quite a few. Won't be able to get it at most chain bookstores, probably have to order from amazon or his website. Great introductory read.

Yeah, and he was on the show a while back. Awesome interview. Brought me here. I'll definitely have to get my paws on that one. thanx :cool:

fitzbew88 said:
These have given me the most satisfaction:
1) "Shockingly Close to the Truth"
2) "The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects" (online free at nicap.org)
3) "The UFO Evidence" (online free at nicap.org)
4) "Night Siege"
5) "The Canadian UFO Report"

"Night Siege" may be a toughy, I had to chase down a used copy.

I would hesitantly add "Hunt for the Skinwalker", which does include some unknown aerial phenomena...but frankly...the book rattled me and it is not strictly a UFO-centric book.

Say, amigo, these are nonfiction, right? ;)

George Hayduke said:
Say, amigo, these are nonfiction, right? ;)

Yes, factual. The first, "Shockingly Close to the Truth," is sort of an autobiographical book involving Jim Moseley's experiences in the UFO field. He talks more of the culture than the phenomena, and thus gives you insights into some of the greats and not-so-greats in the field -- and these are insights that are often not terribly complimentary.

Gene Steinberg said:
Yes, factual. The first, "Shockingly Close to the Truth," is sort of an autobiographical book involving Jim Moseley's experiences in the UFO field. He talks more of the culture than the phenomena, and thus gives you insights into some of the greats and not-so-greats in the field -- and these are insights that are often not terribly complimentary.

I think you guys interviewed this dude. And recently at that. It stands out because the "chad" "dragonfly" drone came up and y'all started talking about the difficulties in determining real from fraudulent photos. Good interview. I'm still not sold either way on the drone. I think someone's stepping on the gas pedal of the engine that cranks out major world events these days so anything is possible in my book. Anyway, I'll check it out. Dude seems pretty level-headed.

Raevenskye said:
speaking of "Hunt for the Skinwalker", is there still research going on out there? I haven't read the book, but I watched the doc. on it, and thought it was interesting. Is it worth a read?

The last news (about Skinwalker Ranch) I recall hearing was that NIDS still owns it but is not doing serious research. I cannot expound on this without being kind've "spoilerish" concerning the end of the book.

I believe both of the authors have been on the Paracast.

I will say that the book changed the way I think about all paranormal phenomena and (like I said earlier) kinda rattled me.

George Hayduke said:
How did it rattle you, if you don't mind me asking. Give me a before, after scenario.

Sure.

After I read the book, I began to consider the possibility that:
1) Something virtually all-powerful is messing with us, and not always nicely.
2) Science is going to be useless pursuing its true nature.
3) It's disguising itself in the form of lots of different kinds of paranormal activity.
4) It's true motivation is unknown.

Prior to this, my fumbling mind always believed that science and technology would eventually find the answers. I believed that the intelligences behind this phenomena were conducting their own business and we were conducting ours, and every now and then we simply stumbled across each other.

I am now fearful that we *are* the business.

George Hayduke said:
Soooooooooooooooooooooold! :)

Seconded. Geez, I'll have to hit the library.

And add another vote for Shockingly Close. The book was a fun read; definitely more culture than phenomenon.

--Shawn

sk4p said:
Seconded. Geez, I'll have to hit the library.

And add another vote for Shockingly Close. The book was a fun read; definitely more culture than phenomenon.

--Shawn

And my opinion of the book has nothing to do with the fact that my name is mentioned a few times there. In fact, to me at least, that might really be a negative, but the fact is that Jim Moseley has been my good friend for over 40 years.

fitzbew88 said:
Sure.

After I read the book, I began to consider the possibility that:
1) Something virtually all-powerful is messing with us, and not always nicely.
2) Science is going to be useless pursuing its true nature.
3) It's disguising itself in the form of lots of different kinds of paranormal activity.
4) It's true motivation is unknown.

Prior to this, my fumbling mind always believed that science and technology would eventually find the answers. I believed that the intelligences behind this phenomena were conducting their own business and we were conducting ours, and every now and then we simply stumbled across each other.

I am now fearful that we *are* the business.

that's really interesting....I think I'll have to read the book, now!

fitzbew88 said:
Prior to this, my fumbling mind always believed that science and technology would eventually find the answers.

I used to think that way - now I'm not so sure.

The problem is that I suspect more money is spent developing a new lip gloss than looking at paranormal subjects.

We seem to be in a period of 'reverse-science' - an organisation (usually political or corporate) needs to push it's agenda and requires the 'seal of approval' from the scientific community. So they start with a conclusion that supports their agenda and pay a research lab to come up with the supporting evidence.

I feel that science will remain in a 'bad place' until the day that financial gain is removed from the equation. After all, which is better for the shareholders, developing a cure for a disease or developing something to relieve the symptoms and thus tie-in 'consumers' to your product until the day they die?

We *are* the 'prey', but the 'vultures' are the 'elite' at top of the tree and they're quite human. Or perhaps they're not. Perhaps certain bloodlines in the human-race have lost their empathic responses and this enables them achieve their goals with total disregard for the human lives that may get in the way. In the book 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' Philip K Dick based the 'Replicants' on the Nazi's - after reading the diary of a Nazi prison guard, he concluded that the guard had lost the ability to feel empathy for the victims in the camp. He'd become less than human. It's what the army does to new recruits - they break them down mentally and re-wire their thought-processes so that emotion doesn't get in the way of the job killing other human beings. They become biological killing 'machines'.

Back