• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The Night It Went Bezerk.

RenikNorthEngland

Skilled Investigator
My sisters ex boyfriend grew up in a haunted home, but the family were actually ok with it being there. It would occasionally be heard thumping and stomping around and sometimes objects would move by themselves, but outside of that it was harmless and they accepted it as member of the household.

One evening, around 1am, my sister called me and asked me to look after my neice because she and her boyfriend had to go to his parents house as something was going on. As it turned out, the harmless spirit they had lived with for almost 20 years was all of a sudden going bonkers, throwing objects, slamming doors, making weird noises, and at one point grabbed the mother who was alone in the house. It shook her up a bit and she fled. It was then she called her son because her husband was out drinking and couldn't be reached.

My sister, her boyfriend and his mother sat in the garden for 3 hours and let it tear the house up. Curtains were torn up, cupboard doors ripped off, plates and ornaments smashed. His dad returned home after midnight, steaming drunk. They were still in the garden and refused to go in, but he was up for a scrap and actually went into the house and offered the spirit on for a fight, shouting and swearing at it. It was after that, the carnage died down and then it went completely quiet.

It was the only time it ever happened, and now it makes even less noise than it ever did before it kicked off. I hear it still makes a little noise every now and again- they still live there. Lunatics.

Last edited:
Woah. 20 years? Did they ever try to document something? Film it?

Do you trust the ex-boyfriend and his family enough to say it could not just have been tall tales?

Did your sister witness anything during these three hours or at any other time that she absolutely couldn't explain and, if documented, would have been proof for something "paranormal" going on? Did she try to ascertain that the thrown objects - if she saw these - could not have been thrown by anybody nearby?

Was there someone who always had to be around for these events to occur? The mother perhaps?

Do you know if she perhaps felt that the "going berzerk" was connected to her own being upset because of her husband? I guess there were some really unresolved issues with that family? Seems curious that it stopped after he came back, which was probably what the mother had been wanting him to do.

Any sightings of of light phenomena or floating / moving balls of light?

I guess if you say "harmless spirit" there is no way that the family believed that this could somehow be their own "distressed subconscious" lashing out?

...and that's just a condensed version of the plethora of questions that came to mind when I was reading your post. I guess there's no chance your sister would be available for questioning? *cough*...

Last edited:
I actually got to know the guy pretty well and I should have mentioned he and my sis have a kid together. They don't really communicate much any more but my mum and his are still close friends, and I see him occasionally. They stand up as far as trust goes, but the events have also been witnessed by several people visiting the house. My sister had heard the stomping around on several occasions and even my neice has witnessed it a couple of times (she's now 8 years old).

In terms of capturing evidence or having people in to investigate, they were never interested as far as I can tell. They got a preist in when it first started happening but his blessings weren't successful. It rarely made much noise so they just decided to let it be.

The guy told me that on a couple of occasions as a kid he witnessed balls of light on the staircase. Other family members witnessed this too. There would be times when shadowy figures watched over him and his brothers as they slept. He said they never felt afraid or threatened by it and after a while the family just grew to accept it as being there. In terms of evidence, he told me they have photographs with orbs here and there but nothing else.

On the night it went crazy, my sister didn't go in the house. They went around the side to the back garden where his mother was. They could hear doors slamming and plates smashing. His mother told how she had went to bed early and then it started with the pacing up and down the landing, then tapping and thumps on the walls. It went on for a while and she couldn't get to sleep. Then she heard something smash downstairs, so she went down to investigate. On her way down the stairs, it grabbed her apparantly and coughed in her ear- sounding like a chesty hack from an old man. She freaked out and bolted from the house.

I personally have never witnessed any of this but what's happening there is known about in the community and of course many who have visited the house, including my neice. I asked for updates in the days following the mayhem, and from what I could gather, they see it as the spirit feeling frustrated or angry about something and just needing to let off some steam. Everything went back to normal and they're getting on with their lives.

Last edited:
His dad returned home after midnight, steaming drunk. They were still in the garden and refused to go in, but he was up for a scrap and actually went into the house and offered the spirit on for a fight, shouting and swearing at it. It was after that, the carnage died down and then it went completely quiet.
I've heard of the priest coming to bless and release the sprit, and the one where the native medicine come in and burns some grass, and even one where guys in suits armed with proton packs zap the ghost, but this is definitively an approach I haven't heard before.

Man, what a lost opportunity to capture a "poltergeist rampage" - Once you get used to the activity, the next natural step would be to wire the place and try to get some footage. Like polterwurst, I can't help but wonder if the wife wasn't herself causing much of the disturbance while she was upset, on a subconscious level. An interesting account, I enjoyed the read.

I've heard of the priest coming to bless and release the sprit, and the one where the native medicine come in and burns some grass, and even one where guys in suits armed with proton packs zap the ghost, but this is definitively an approach I haven't heard before.

Too often you hear about some heavy consequence after confronting and challenging the source of a haunt. Being none of that occured, and the activity actually settled after, makes the account believable.

Back