• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

The longest evp I've ever heard

Ummm does anyone else think that this sounds like Throbbing Gristle or some other arty electronic music (early Cabaret Voltaire maybe) ... certainly didn't disturb me in the least. Do like the gongthing though (anbout 4:30 in) ... the rest made me giggle :D

There went 11 min of my life I can never get back again. I only heard noise, and conversations too distorted to understand. Why do people use the cheapest equipment, producing horrible audio, when recording EVP? Because we wouldnt hear the "ghosts" talking with good equipment. The "ghosts" are in the noise, and in some people's minds.

I am open to the possibility of ghosts. But not Evps at this time. I want to hear clear, difinitive proof. We have the technology to do it now.

Hey Skeptoid, you hit the nail right on the head. We use Zoom H4's for field work and pro digital Tascam with high end production mics for the audio in the show and we've never had a single EVP. We use some crappy voice recorder and we get tonnes of EVPs. I put it down to cheap technology, manufacturing, limited devices, crap mics and compression.

We ran a test with 2 voice recorders and the H4. We got some impressive EVPs on the voice recorders and when we ran the audio on the H4, you could clearly hear the EVPs were natural noise and not spirits from the other side. So I'm not a great believer of EVP either at this stage.

I also had an argument with someone who claimed that low end gear is more capable of capturing EVP because the spirits are on a different vibration and frequency. My response was a simple "Ehhhhhhhhh...HUH???"
I question even the first EVP captured. Some dude recording birds and he gets voices from the other side. Ah huh. I have an old, worn Metallica cassette and I can clearly hear the reverse side B when I play side A. Is that an EVP or just an old cassette that needs to be thrown out?
People want to believe so bad that they leave their common sense or ability to ask questions at the door. Google is so smart!

Right on Jose, peoples who believe in EVPs remind me of those people who used to think there are hidden subliminal satanic messages in rock music.

When I was a kid, there was a preacher who came to our church, preaching on the evils of Rock-n-roll music. He sold a tape at the end of the service, on the topic, which had examples of back-masked hidden satanic messages. One of the examples was Stairway to Heaven. Played backwards it says "my sweet satan, there's power in satan, 666, etc. I was so intrigued, I tried this experiment myself with the Led Zepplin record. Spinning it manually in reverse, at the right speed, I could hear these messages, they were really there.

However, I never believed that Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, or satan had anything to do with it. I knew it was only a matter of coincidence, and the evangelist having put the preconcieved idea in my head. But, that preacher did get me hooked on metal music. Thanks, man. 8)

Haha! Good to hear something positive came from the experience. Metal rules!

I used to have a Fisher Price train as a kid that played music when I pushed it forward. When I pulled it backwards, it would tell me to kill my parents ;)

Regardless of what people think, I am really interested in the paranormal. I believe in it...I just find 99% of it based on speculation and shows like Ghost Hunters and Most Haunted thrive whilst promoting fallacies. They claim to use scientific method...which is yet to be seen.

EVP, EMF, matrixing, thermal imaging...blah blah blah

Jose Collado said:
Regardless of what people think, I am really interested in the paranormal. I believe in it...I just find 99% of it based on speculation and shows like Ghost Hunters and Most Haunted thrive whilst promoting fallacies. They claim to use scientific method...which is yet to be seen.

EVP, EMF, matrixing, thermal imaging...blah blah blah

You know what? That is so true. The thought of using unproven instruments to measure supposed levels in order to prove or disprove anything is pretty insane. All you can do is record the raw DATA and then try to prove what the data means. So, you end up with a pile of IR cam footage, a complete log of all EMF levels, locations, and times (so that correlations to other events can be attempted later), normal video and audio footage, etc. Does any of that have any hope of answering the big questions? Unlikely. The only tools that can offer anything profound are probably the video and audio footage. I mean, you could end up with deeply profound EVP that might be, say, predictive of the future in a real and useful sense (not some hokey, weak guessing) or one that knows intimate details of something (again, in a real and serious sense, not some hokey crap)...you could end up with pretty great video or real object movement like the power cord Ghost Hunters caught on tape in Tombstone....that was pretty good.

I have to say that shows like Paranormal State really give the whole field of Paranormal research a bad name. Honestly, the whole show is nothing more than a religious vehicle. I have yet to see even an ATTEMPT at anything remotely scientific in that farce. I'd love to sen that crew somewhere truly and evilly haunted and see them lose their minds.

Now, I realize that I also have to add that, yes, Ghost Hunters can get a but too religious for me at times as well, but much less so...much less so. Still, some of the newer team members are largely responsible for it. What makes a simple spirit haunting into a demonic one? Heh, probably the same thing that makes one living guy an evil jerk and the other a decent, nice guy.

In the end, I suppose there are two distinctly separate goals. On the one hand, someone ought to be simply recording data and analyzing/correlating it over time and over hundreds and hundreds of recordings/places to arrive at a large enough set of data that strong theories can be formulated and then tested. On the other, there are a large number of groups who simply want to record experiences as they occur at a personal level. Fine, might even be useful later when compared to the "real" data, but it is not and should never be spoken of as science.

Yupp yupp...I agree. People need to start questioning things instead of believing everything the see on TV or read on the net.

Where did all the "theories" come from? I hear "in theory" like it was going out of fashion.

EMF...eh...Why use EMF meters at all? Things like "Oooh a spike! Ooooh there was no EMF there a second ago!" make me wonder just how much thought goes into what they say on TV. A spike could be someone turning on the aircon on the other side of the building and EMF readings suddenly appearing can be the effects of someone switching on a light or plugging in equipment. I have to admit...EMF meters make a great whining sound that kinda sounds like a big block supercharger.

- Spirits generate electromagnetic energy? Says who?
- Spirits need energy to manifest? What kind of "energy" are we talking about? Isn't energy a unit of measure? Wouldn't it be the same as me saying "Spirits need centimeters to manifest"
- Who calibrates the EMF meters and to point of calibration? What exactly does the data collected prove if it's being recorded in various model EMF meters which may not be calibrated.
- "I got a 2! A 2!"....a 2 what? Milligauss? Yeah...and I have 5 fingers, does that make me haunted

Thermal imaging...bah humbug. They're great for finding heat signatures in machinery, rescue/law enforcement and termites. Nothing more. Even a slight gloss on a painted wall will reflect heat. Oh they're awesome to fart into apparently.

Orbs...nice...check out my video on orbs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVLndvHQ1O4&feature=related
It even has a face! Ooooer! Orbs a spheres of energy. Again, what kind of energy and why? First sign of manifestation? Yeah, speak to Electrolux because apparently vacuum cleaners are the 9th gate of hell.

IR thermomters...great if you want the surface temperature of something. I recently used it on the extractors on my Hemi. My Valiant may be haunted.
- Spirits use the energy around them and this causes cold spots. Yes...and my refrigerator seems to have hot and cold spots. Does this make it haunted? Granted I still have a Christmas ham in there that's so old it farts.
- What else could cause a cold spot and what is being done to monitor this effectively??
EVP...Electronic Voice Phooey. Some guy records birds singing and hears people talking to him from the other side. Has anyone ever bothered to research who this guy was, what gear he used, what condition his gear was in? I would probably put more faith in magnetic media rather than digital recorders. The second the audio hits a digital recorder it is questionable at best. People are listening to "noise" that could possibly be interpreted differently in multiple languages.

Dowsing rods...where do I start with these? Flawed in so many ways especially when the main contaminant is human.

So many I could list but I'll stop. Sorry...I hijacked this thread.

This EVP was submitted to our sound engineer for analysis. He clearly stated this audio is just noise. I trust his judgment considering he works as a professional sound engineer. I'm happy with this being the longest recording of noise ever.

It's time people moved away from Google and did some real research in the paranormal scene. I won't say "field" because this would be making an assumption it has something to do with science.

Yersh! Alien technology that is evolved enough to travel the galaxy and it all comes down to using H-Bombs in volcanoes.

Their navigation system was an Atari 2600. Not just any 2600, the Darth Vader edition!

Bwahahahahahha

Good thing they got Xenu trapped in his prison, otherwise we'd all be F'ed.

Then again, Tom Cruise with his Combat Psychic Powers could do battle with Xenu.

Back