• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Sudden Pet Aggression.

T

Tommy Allison

Okay folks, I have one for you.

I have two cats, Bob and Darthy. Darthy is Female, and Bob is Male.

Yesterday afternoon, both of my cats were on my deck, lounging. Darthy was outside with Bob for an hour, and Bob was left outside by mistake for about 3 hours.

Upon coming back inside, Darthy has taken a very peculiar stance. She's incredibly aggressive to my other cat, making howling hissing, and attacking my other cat violently. Bob is terrified of her.

Nothing happened on the deck, there's been no change, and we've had both of the cats together for about 4 years now, and this has never happened.

I'm wondering what would spark the change, as Darthy went berserk right around 4:30 CST yesterday, and even this morning is still incredibly aggressive towards the other cat. She's congenial and friendly, just not to Bob.

It is as if Bob was replaced by a different cat that she doesn't recognize.

To add something new to the mix, Bob has one of the Verichips in him, Darth does not. He was chipped before we got him. I'm wondering if somehow pinging that chip makes Darthy go nuts?

Any ideas???

Dunno, maybe she liked him being away and is letting him know that the place is hers. There needs to be a cat whisperer like there is a dog whisperer. That guy is great.

Hey Tommy,
Maybe Bob smells different after a longer stint outside, and Darthy doesn't like it. Sometimes cats will react that way after one goes to the vet, and the others don't. When the one comes home, the other hiss and freak out for about a day or so.

my cats will exhibit the same behaviour after one cat has been outside for a while.

have you checked to see if you are feeding them one of the MANY contaminated cat foods? 2 of my friends have lost cats to bad cat food recently.

pixelsmith said:
my cats will exhibit the same behaviour after one cat has been outside for a while.

have you checked to see if you are feeding them one of the MANY contaminated cat foods? 2 of my friends have lost cats to bad cat food recently.

It's cat food too? Darn. I know the dog food has been bad. Anyone know why? I haven't heard.

A.LeClair said:
It's cat food too? Darn. I know the dog food has been bad. Anyone know why? I haven't heard.

yes..it has something called "melamine" in the feed, used as a filler. it's mostly been canned cat foods, but some dry may have been affected too. I also saw online that farm-raised catfish, and other farm-raised fish in China are fed with melamine feed (standard practice there), and they also contain higher degrees of antibiotics. better to go wild-caught, if you can find it.

Raevenskye said:
yes..it has something called "melamine" in the feed, used as a filler. it's mostly been canned cat foods, but some dry may have been affected too. I also saw online that farm-raised catfish, and other farm-raised fish in China are fed with melamine feed (standard practice there), and they also contain higher degrees of antibiotics. better to go wild-caught, if you can find it.

Do you know how it got into the food? This the same problem with dog food as well?

it's the same problem as the dog food, and apparently it's ok in China, but not here..i don't know if it was put into the food on purpose, or the grain, or some other component, but it's in there. If you feed dry cat food, there should be something on their webiste. My kitties eat dry Meow Mix, and luckily, it's been ok.

Back