• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

String Theory and Multiple Dimensions

anthromom

Paranormal Novice
I suggest that the notion that UFOs come from parallel universes, based on ideas about string theory, are misguided. I think you should learn something about string theory before jumping to the conclusion that parallel universes would be anything other than very very small or very large! You can't use string theory to support the idea that UFOs are popping in from other dimensions!

Welcome to the forum.

anthromom said:
I suggest that the notion that UFOs come from parallel universes, based on ideas about string theory, are misguided.

Interesting first post - is this in response to one of the radio shows?

It is possible that there are other dimensions within the *same* universe - off the top of my head, I think string theory works on the assumption that there are at least 11 dimensions in our Universe - though, I'm not sure that the extra dimensions are necessarily related to 'space' in the way that are brains are designed to perceive them...

...the discussions that I have heard on The Paracast have suggested that some UFOs might have the ability to flit between dimensions within the *same* universe, not between different universes (multiverses?)...although anything is possible.

Actually, I'm responding to a lot of the podcasts, not just one. I just got tired of hearing people talking about string theory as a justification for ships traveling through other dimensions. Those would have to be awfully small ships! I don't know about any other dimension in the same space. I do wonder why the mathematicians haven't figured that out.

anthromom said:
You can't use string theory to support the idea that UFOs are popping in from other dimensions!

What about M-Brane theory? Why or why not? Are there any parallel dimension theories that you think might admit the above possibility? I think there is at least one line of speculation that they might "live" in our spacetime but can do FTL by temporarily slipping into some kind of other dimension for travel purposes.

I'm not a physicist so I pretty much rely on reputable people to make the case for or against this kind of stuff.

anthromom said:
I don't know about any other dimension in the same space. I do wonder why the mathematicians haven't figured that out.

I can pretty much grasp the 'normal' 4 dimensions ( x, y, z and time ) but I think the 'dimensions' from 5 thru 11 are not 'spacial' but something totally different in concept.

Maths is great - you can solve equations even when you don't have all the answers; you just factor in another 'x' variable and then claim that you've solved the problem. :)

In the end we musn't lose sight of the fact that science and maths are used to construct *theoretical* models to demonstrate how we *think* the universe works - they might be wrong and are often revised, so I would be very wary of people who claim something is 'impossible' because it 'breaks' our current theoretical models - it's more likely that the model needs changing to account for the 'impossibility' (and that's something that most scientists seem very reluctant to accept).

Well string theory is still a theory. ofcourse its a leading theory which might well be successful in reconciling gravity with the other forces. Evidence for string theory cannot be obtained experimentally for the time being given the energies required to accumulate evidence. Supersymmetry, which is also an important aspect and the one that is also another area that is well studied from the string theory context has a chance of being proven experimentally when the LHC turns on in 2008 at CERN, Geneva. However even if supersymmetry is proved, it does not mean string theory is correct.

Other extra dimensional models are more satisfying, like the Randall-Sundrum model that assumes a fifth dimension that's infinitely large and is still the most cited paper in all of physics for the last 5 years or so. This theory has experimental consequences and some of the conclusions of the theory do have the chance of being observed at the energy levels that LHC will operate. Read Warped Passages from Lisa Randall, which is in my opinion one of the best books that came out last year. Lisa is also profiled in TIME 100 most influential People article.

But even if extra dimensional theories turn out be rite, that still cannot explain the souricng of UFOs in my opinion. Since matter is assumed to be made up of tiny open loop strings that are jailed in the dimension that they originated, and only gravity, which is communicated by gravitons that are closed loop strings can traverse between different dimensions, according to string theory. With only gravity being able to travel between multiple dimensions, extra dimensional UFO origin still doesnt sound viable.

its ridiculous how people take scientific theory that they do not understand and use it to prop up their ideas, in fact it is just plain infuriating. string theory is simultaneously beautifully simple and immensely complex, just because many universes probably exist does not mean that they are in any way comparable to our universe. You can't just pick a scientific theory and say it proves your cause just because you want it to and to the layman it appears to. arrrrgh... its like people who uses "gaps" in the fossil record to prove god..."uh uh see your missing one bone....must have bin gawd".

I think String Theory, among other others has some potential as a means to absolve people of their responsibilities.

For example...

You go into your local Target store. You walk to the electronics section. You grab a TV, and you walk out.

When you get to your car, because they're not actually supposed to stop you, you put the TV in. Then you go back into the store.

When you go back in, and are arrested you can say with a straight face, you didn't do it, it was one of your alternate reality selves that did it, and you don't know what happened to the last 20 minutes of your life because you were driving to the store, and the next thing you know you were being arrested.

Set your watch back about 20 minutes too. That will be about as convincing as anything.

EvilSkeptic said:
its ridiculous how people take scientific theory that they do not understand and use it to prop up their ideas, in fact it is just plain infuriating. string theory is simultaneously beautifully simple and immensely complex, just because many universes probably exist does not mean that they are in any way comparable to our universe. You can't just pick a scientific theory and say it proves your cause just because you want it to and to the layman it appears to. arrrrgh... its like people who uses "gaps" in the fossil record to prove god..."uh uh see your missing one bone....must have bin gawd".

It's amazing how many people take scientific theory and hold it up as *the* definitive explanation of 'the way things are' and refuse to accept that the *theory* might be wrong...

I think the abuse of string theory in relation to UFOs is most commonly perceived as these beings are able to travel in other dimensions where it is possible to accelerate beyond the speed of light without an infinite amount of energy.

Basically, like hyperdrive from star wars or warp drive from star trek. And there are a lot of scientists right now doing experiments based on this exact concept with foundations in string theory.

I think dimension is a very abused term and it comes up so much in pop culture people perceive them like some magic place where anything is possible, with no evidence to support any of it.

Hmm string theory:
Math. Lots of math with hard to swallow conclusions.
Result: A theory that isn't even a theory at all because it is barely even testable, much less provable.
Lots of physicists have bought into it who know a lot more than me. However, I'm all about evidence. Proof. Show me what you've got and I'll tell you if I'll buy what you're sellin'.

String theory holds no more weight than any of the free energy charlatans, many of whom have scientific credentials ;).

My feeling is that string theory only supports the inter-dimensional UFO theories because it offers support for different kinds of realities that may interact with the world of time and space that we spend most of our time in.

It's a theory with (at least) math to support it. There are other theories that have experiences of people to support them but no math.

Back