• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Steph Young/David Paulides

wierd chick

Paranormal Novice
Anyone see posts by Steph or David? It seems David is posting stuff about her work being similar to his. It is, although honestly, I think his is fact checked where hers is more anecdotes/ folklore and it goes in different directions. Anyone have an opinion on the matter? On Steph Young? I am not a researcher - I support a skeptical -believer standpoint- don't take things at face value but also don't assume someone with a weird experience is lying or crazy, but also check out whatever facts are available. I've not looked much into Steph Young, just listened to her on YouTube. I've not found her on here that I can see!!! Listening to the archived podcasts here with David Paulides, I really enjoy (is that the right word- since his stories are kind of scary?)

Neither David nor Stepahanie as posted here as far as i known. i would assume if they did it would be under their real names. I have ( i think) all of Stephs ebooks (at about $5.00 and less, not a big hit on the pocket)

Stephenie does indeed skewer more towards folklore and such as kind of throws all possibilities out there. David is still more circumspect about any posssibilities. I have found a number of errors in her books but mostly on dates and locations and i think on a town's spelling ( in that i mean she will place a certain location near this or near that or in a general area when geographically speaking it isn't really near there ) in all fairness after reading her accounts i would be able to go online and in a number of cases find a couple of accounts and notice the descrepancies. My guess her books are mostly all internet based stories she just hunts down and collects (and there's nothing wrong with that) and may be a little sloppy on editing. i have listened to her on a number of podcasts and find her adorable as all get out. i did recently finish a book of hers which seems a little more substantial on a subject that was brought up on another thread and that is the number of disappearances of young college age men. i would even say that her book on this subject was out before David Paulides A Sobering Conclusion ( i didn't read this yet) but i suspect that as in other cases the circumstances in David's books may be a little more solid.

And not to nitpick or be anal about it but i would say David's books are probably better edited and researched but factchecked is not a word i would necessarily use.Probably in a number of "modern" cases they are but when relying on old oral accounts or old reports you can only work with what you see in front of you and those acccounts can be questionable.

In the end i think the two just have different approaches on the subjects. If any of Stepahanies stories came from David's books IDK. It could be that David himself has played a little loose with some facts and dates that were of little revelance (spl?) in order to catch copycats, a not uncommon practice.

Last edited:
Hey, i saw she publicly threatened to sue him for defamation, - a lot of the stories he tells in interviews were in her books first! - like the new Predator stories and the Drowning cases - she wrote them first not him, so he posted to his fans on facebook that he couldn't face a law-suit and asked them to stop slating her - so i guess he was wrong!

Here's a guy that takes another route and has taken the time to plot out all these various 'mysterious disappearances" and claims he found a pattern and he is not afraid of using the word predatory or sentience.

I'm pretty dubious about it myself and this guy did not sound all that sure himself and although I think he was earnest it did sound like he was making it up as he went along almost, plus without actually having these maps in front of me just having to listen to these patterns is very confusing. It seems pretty subjective. I would need to see these maps myself in order to make any judgment like that.

Mind you there isn't any real discussion of individual cases as this is not his objective. It's to show what he claims is a clear pattern in these movements like predatory stalking or migration.

Into Nowhere with Thomas Spriggs - November 12, 2016

Last edited:
Tonight (01/05/2019) a special on David Paulides' research will air on the History Channel at 8PM ET. [direct link no longer available]

"Former police detective Dave Paulides investigates extraordinary missing-persons cases in and around national parks--ones which defy conventional explanation and whose victims are not just missing: they've vanished."

I didn't like the show. It was overly preoccupied with woo explanations of the disappearnces. I think Paulides has jumped the shark.

Back