• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Space Shuttle Endeavour rolls through Los Angeles

Free episodes:

nameless

Paranormal Adept
It struck me that this spectacle would have been similar in experience to those cultures across the globe in every nation who watched the giant architectual hewn stones being carried from their place of origin to their final resting place.

"Everything is really going according to plan, exactly as we hoped for. We've still got a long ways to go, but this is an incredibly complex move."
Four hundred trees had to be cut down to make way for Endeavour's wingspan. The city has promised to plant 1,000 replacements.
Power lines have also been raised and traffic lights pulled down but some stretches of the 12-mile journey are still a tight squeeze.
Former shuttle commander Mark Kelly, who captained Endeavour's final flight, said he hoped the spacecraft would become an inspiration for future generations of astronauts.
"Maybe some day one of these kids that see Endeavour, look up at it at the California Science Center, will be that person that walks on the planet Mars?" he told US broadcaster CNN.

BBC News - Space shuttle Endeavour rolls through Los Angeles

Speaking of the trees here's a couple of articles from our local weekly alternative paper on the very issue. I think the lorax was away on vacation when this started.

Endeavour's Tree-Killing Debut - Page 1 - News - Los Angeles - LA Weekly

Endeavour's Tree-Chopping Truth: Readers Weigh In - Page 1 - News - Los Angeles - LA Weekly

Truth be told guys I'm not terribly surprised because most of the trees on question are ficus trees, and as wonderful as their shade is on a hot summer's day is, their root systems are terribly destructive to sewers and sidewalks. In some places in santa monica the sidewalks are made of rubber to compensate. I don't know how many times I've tripped over uprooted sections and went stumbling on my night walks and for that reason I tend to walk in the streets. I've also come to the aid of a few people that had fallen. Not only has there been threatened lawsuits over the hazard the trees produce, there had been lawsuits threatened over their removal and lawsuits over the installation of the aforementioned rubber sidewalks (which to this day I could never figure out why that would be unless it's just because I live in a litigious money grabbing city. Although it also seems that generally speaking, people just can't handle change, I embrace it (to an extent).

Back