• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Sounds connected with paranormal events

Free episodes:

Aeolus-14-Umbra

Paranormal Novice
A couple weird experiences I had are highlighted by their audio component.

One evening, I reclined on my bed to read a book. Soon thereafter, I was overcome with sleepiness and dozed off. My next awareness was of a very loud, penetrating sound in the room or inside my head. The sound was like a field of crickets on a summer night, but sped up in pitch by a factor of three. At the same time, I found myself unable to move or open my eyes; and I felt an invisible force “pushing down” on me, but not in a physical way. I had a sense that someone was standing on the left side of my bed, too.

I mentally “pushed back” against the force and concentrated on trying to move my body. Initially, I focussed on rotating one of my big toes. Then, I worked on moving my ankles. After I succeeded in regaining control over my lower extremities, the piercing sound and paralysis snapped off and I was able to move freely again.

A few years later, I was awakened at 3:20 in the morning by an extremely loud banging sound. It was so loud that I surmised the entire town must be hearing the same thing. The vigorous “bangs” occurred about two per second. To give you a sense of the great intensity of this noise, it was as though the Jolly Green Giant was kicking your house with his foot.

As I started to get out of bed to explore the source of this activity, I heard the roar of a fast moving jet that seemed to fly at a low altitude over my house. Concurrent with that, the banging sound switched off.

I have thought about both of these bizarre experiences almost every day since they happened; and I’ve wondered whether other people have heard these or other unusual sounds in connection with their paranormal experiences.

I have had a paranormal experience with sound before, but not like you are describing.

I was a freshman in college and over the Christmas break, I went with a friend to his grandmas house in Kansas City for a few days. I was set up in the guest bedroom by myself in a little twin sized bed by the wall. The first night I got in bed and closed my eyes and felt a bit creeped out. So I climbed out of bed and turned on a little lamp that was on a dresser. I got back into bed and closed my eyes and heard breathing. It was really loud breathing and sounded like it was 2 inches from my ear. I thought maybe I was just hearing someone snoring, so I got up to investigate
but I was alone. Infact I was the only person on that floor of the house. I stood up on a chair to listen close to a vent on the ceiling in the room, but nothing. As I was up and doing this stuff the noise seemed to stop. I layed back down and closed my eyes and it came back, just as loud as before and I swear it was right next to my head. I didn't feel any breath on my ear. It was really loud though and so close to my face. It kept me up all night. Finally the noise stopped. I looked up at the clock and it was right around 6am. When it stopped, I was finally able to go to sleep. This happened every night I was there. It also stopped about the same time every night... well technically morning. When we were driving back, I asked my friend if the house was haunted or anything. He said, "no, why?" and I told him what had happened. He has never had any odd experience and I felt a bit silly mentioning it to him at all, because he is really smart and scientific about everything.

What I told him gave him chills though. He said his grandpa died in the house and had some kind of lung problem for years. He said that his grandpa was a really really loud breather as long as my friend could
remember. He said eventhough his grandpa was sick, he worked his whole life until he couldnt' anymore and that he always left for work at 6am.

My friend still doesn't believe in odd stuff, but he did say that was the closest he ever did come to believing anything and admitted that the circumstances were really weird.

I've been a little wary of posting this story, but I feel that I should now that I've found a similar case.

This happened probably in 1994 or 1995, I was between 9 and 11.

When I was going to bed I decided I wanted to make a little bit of a fort to sleep in for the night. I had laid down my two pillows on my bed and slept on those two, a testament to how old I was as I could lay down on both my pillows without my legs sticking out. I then wrapped my blanket around me so I was like a human and pillow burrito.

In the middle of the night (I didn't have a clock in my room, so I can't say what time for sure, but I'm sure it was after midnight) I heard an incredible bang, similar to a gunshot (which at this point in my life, I had not heard before, I heard my first gunshot at 13). I woke up right away, sat up, and then covered myself with my blanket, holding it tight and closing my eyes with force. A few seconds later, I felt a set of strong hands grab me by the right shoulder (I was laying on my left hand side) and rock me back and forth violently. It lasted for what seemed to be ten seconds and stopped. My door did not open or close (it made noise when it opened so I'd be able to tell) and there was no further noise or anything, everything just stopped. I laid awake for what seemed to be minutes before poking my head out of my blanket to see what was going on. Everything was normal.

I've only told this story to one of my friends and I never even mentioned it to my parents after it happened. Some might think it could have been a nightmare, but I clearly remember being wide awake and truly terrified. By far the scariest moment of my life. I still live in the same house with my parents and nothing remotely close to this has ever happened since.

An interesting related article from Darklore Vol. #1...

Her Sweet Murmur - Exploring the Aural Phenornenology of Border Experiences (.pdf) - Greg Taylor

murmur.jpg

Back