• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

something to think about...

Free episodes:

bogie13p

Skilled Investigator
I have a question about residual hauntings. I guess it really isn't about "hauntings" so much as just about the possible nature of something that repeats. Most of the time when people think of residual hauntings, they think someone has died and left an imprint, but if someone leaves an imprint would they really have to be dead? Especially since the imprint is made while they are alive.

I used to live in this house with my grandparents when I was a teenager. We actually built the house, so it was brand new. A lot of times when I was upstairs, I would hear my grandpa calling me. Usually when he called, he wanted me to help him with some yard work or something that wasn't fun (teenager remember), so I usually tried to ignore him in the hopes he would give up. Sometimes though he would yell and yell and get louder and louder. If I was reading or something, I would get annoyed and I would finally yell back "what do you want!" No reply. I would yell again and still not get a reply. I would usually then go downstairs and realize no one was home. This actually happened about two times a month. I never heard my grandmas voice though. Usually later my grandparents would return and they would say they had been gone all day since early morning. Hours before I heard the voice. So basically I was all alone and my grandpa would yell at me until I responded and then it would quit completely.

When I went to college, my grandparents bought a smaller house. I would stay with them on breaks and in the summer and still experience the same thing. My grandpa is dead now, but it still happens from time to time when I am there. My grandma experiences it now to. My grandpa had such a distinct voice and way of yelling both of our names. We didn't live in a neighborhood so it wasn't the neighbors. It was without a doubt my grandpas voice.

It just seems really odd and the closest thing resembling it is residual hauntings. Has anyone else had anything like this or any ideas about what could be going on?

Thanks for telling the story. That's a new twist. I haven't ever heard of anything quite like it. I have told the story here about my mother hearing her father's voice in a time of need where other people in the room also heard it. But his was a one time occurrence in 'real time' and of an urgent nature.

Great post and concept! (About someone imprint-haunting while still alive)...and you know what...that also happened to me several times when I was a teen! Someone (always a male voice, not sure if it was my father's voice, it may have been tho). Anyway, it'd happen to such a point, I'd yell back: 'Yes?' and come out of my room asking my parents what did they want? They'd both look up at me baffled and state they never asked for me in the first place. I'd tell them I just heard my name called as clear and loud as day, by what I thought was my dad. 'Nope' they'd reply.

Wow, thanks for reminding me of that memory, lol! Also happened when no one was home. Don't know what it ever was....

I have a question about residual hauntings...

Bogie, you are FREAKING me out.

Maybe a few times a year I will hear my name whispered loudly right in my ear while I am either asleep or lying in bed going to sleep. I have sat straight up before, startled, it has been so loud. I always thought it was just some wierd mind trick. It is still possible that it may be in my mind of course (and yours, by the way), but just reading your story sent chills up my spine.

Difference is, since mine is a loud whisper, I cannot distinguish the voice.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread -- if you think mine is too different I can start a new thread if people want to reply. But, I thought my experiences were at least related to yours.

Just food for thought and just giving my .02 worth on this topic.... (over 20 years experience in spirit communication)

There's no such thing as residual hauntings... that's just a spanking new term made-up by evp recording "ghost hunters" (all the craze now, btw) who end up getting the same thing said in a recording that other evp recorders got at the same location.
Those unknown intelligences who come over those recordings can read and even "mine" our minds. They can tap into the minds of the group of ghost hunters and find out what they all EXPECT to hear at that location. Then they can even impersonate the same voice or voices including what was said in those evp recorded by others who were already there before.

In bogie's case, he's hearing his grandfather's voice telling him to do something yet he then finds out that his grandfather isn't even in the house when he hear's him calling.
In this case, it indicates that he's got some unseen intelligence that's there with him all the time who is projecting a "voice" that sounds like his grandfather... that's what's going on here. The "intelligence" is IMPERSONATING his grandfather's voice and bogie is picking up that on a psychic level even though the voice does not sound like it's "in his head".
These intelligences pose and impersonate others in evp too... and in the evp speak.... they are called "impersonator's". This is why anyone who states that they are in contact with a specific person via evp is not telling it as it is.... the fact is, we already know about the "impersonator" phenomenon which is inherent in the evp phenomenon. There's no way that anyone knows with any certainty that the "intelligence" IS who it says it IS... for this reason.

But the same thing goes for that voice bogie was hearing. It's got nothing to do with residual hauntings as such things do not even exist. Another term for such "intelligences" are The Mimic-ers because they mimic voices, but they can also mimic things visually too which explains why some so-called haunted locations report that sometimes visitors and tourist's will claim to see the same "ghost" re-enacting the same scene. Only a few people pick that up because not all are able to. But there are a few places around the world that claim this phenomenon.

Also, I think most people can distinguish between a small voice in the head that sounds like someone we are around all the time calling us or saying our name. This is very common -- everyone has that kind of experience every once in a while.
Bogie is talking about something else.

Hmm... I had never really thought about it being someone just impersonating my grandpa.

I do remember once talking to an ex about something similar (i am a girl btw, everyone calls me bogie though). He was cherokee and said some of his people believe in spirits that call out peoples names when they are alone. Kind of interesting.

Just something for you to consider but it seems apparent that you're a "receiver" for such communications. Try not to get stressed out because then you'll have more of these experiences. Prolonged stress can open those channels that allow unwanted phenomena like this "in". I don't think you want that. Just a suggestion... same goes for anything that's mind altering like drugs and even some meditation practices.

I have had stuff happen my whole life. This was just something really mild that happens. It doesn't bother me. I grew up in a really haunted house that my grandparents had owned for years. They had experiences in that house too. There was a time when I was a wuss, but I'm used to it now.

One thing that is kind of weird is that recently when I go to places that are supposed to haunted, nothing happens. For example, I love going to New Orleans, but I have never had an odd experience there. I also go to London a lot and have spent a lot of time in Italy and never had an experience. Yet I can be in my new house or go to a random hotel with no history of any hauntings and have something happen.

I do think there is something about being stressed out though. I had procrastinated on research paper once and had finals comming up. I was pulling my hair out (not literally) and was so stressed and rushed. Activity in my house (which i am the first owner of) was busier than I had ever seen.

I have heard things about limestone attracting things. I do know the area where I live in Oklahoma has loads of limestone underground. Our old house that was haunted was actually made of it. There is also a lot of underground water sources which I have heard can influence things as well.

Back